The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

I felt like the two pairs felt similar presoak, but it was also a year or so between purchases so my memory could be off.

I guess the biggest notice in size difference is through the calf and hem. the 5105 feels much slimmer than the 2105 to me.

Are those measurements post-shrink and pre-stretch? Or are they post-stretch?

the measurements are after wearing them. I did not measure them before I wore them. 

I felt like the two pairs felt similar presoak, but it was also a year or so between purchases so my memory could be off.

I guess the biggest notice in size difference is through the calf and hem. the 5105 feels much slimmer than the 2105 to me.

Yeah the knee measurement on the 5105 size 32 is 8.0" and on my 2105 size 34 it was 8.75"; hem on both is 8.5". 

Thanks for the measurements mpukas.

Almost seems like a slim boot cut with those measurements

It does seem like a slight bootcut when looking at the measurements on paper, but I didn't notice it when I wore them. With a hem the measurement would come down a bit. 

5101 size 32 - comments on fit? Waist is fine, hips and thighs are tight. Surprisingly not as uncomfortable as I thought they might be for jeans this tight, but the denim has quite a bit of give. I think 33 would be ideal, but hard to know how much this denim will stretch out. Excuse the crap POS Note II phone pics that won't focus on a mirror... 

http://20150214_113423_zpsdace57db.jpg

http://20150214_113451_zps379629da.jpg

http://20150214_113925_zps322c1f6d.jpg

Mpukas I just got my size 32 5105's today, the fit was perfect pre-soak which worried me a bit, especially since the waist and hips were slightly tight. I threw them in a hot wash and let them get some agitation because I figured what the hell, I might as well get the shrink over with and hope they stretch back out. Once they were out of the wash, I took measurements to compare them with the pre-soak measurements. The waist went from 34" to 32"', the thigh (measured 1" down from the crotch) went from 11.7" to 10.5" (!!!) and the leg opening went from 8.5" to 8". The thigh shrinkage scared the shit out of me, so I put them on while they were still wet to try to get them to stretch as much as possible. They were skin tight from the knee up, so I decided to see what I could do to help them stretch, and it worked-- I stood with my legs as far apart as possible to either side and bent down and touched the floor and held it for a bit, and then put one leg in front of me and one behind me as far as possible, and then switched legs. After doing this several times, I took them off and measured again. The waist had stretched to 34.25" and the thighs had stretched to 11.5".

So, long story short, if the thighs are a bit too tight on yours, they will stretch with a bit of help. I will leave this story of my ridiculous behavior here rather than sending it in a pm in case others might find this info helpful. I guess I'm willing to publicly humiliate myself for the benefit of the forum. :D

I did notice this, which is weird:

0417E7B8-00BE-4CD2-B5B9-34DA20B263AF_zps

This runs all the way across the left thigh. Is this something to be concerned about?

Where did you buy your jeans?

Sorry, Self Edge.

Then you just got the newest run of these with more shuttle skips.  They've set the tension on the loom at a level where it's creating far more shuttle skips than usual.  That coupled with the super short staple cotton in the weft creates a very pronounced shuttle skip on the 5105 and 5109 jean.  It doesn't affect the strength of the denim.  Many brands cut this part out, most Japanese brands (and especially Roy) leave it in 100% of the time.

Then you just got the newest run of these with more shuttle skips.  They've set the tension on the loom at a level where it's creating far more shuttle skips than usual.  That coupled with the super short staple cotton in the weft creates a very pronounced shuttle skip on the 5105 and 5109 jean.  It doesn't affect the strength of the denim.  Many brands cut this part out, most Japanese brands (and especially Roy) leave it in 100% of the time.

Is this like what Oni Denim is doing with their low tension secret denim?  I have one pair of Oni's and it looks similar.  Thanks

Is this like what Oni Denim is doing with their low tension secret denim?  I have one pair of Oni's and it looks similar.  Thanks

I haven't seen those jeans in person and haven't read much about them, so i'm not positive if it's the same thing going on.  But as far as Strike Gold has told me they believe them mixing in short fiber spun yarn for only the weft is a first.

I'm just happy they made another run of this denim. Kiya, do you know if they use poly cotton thread like iron heart, or pure cotton like samurai?

It's 100% cotton.

Mpukas I just got my size 32 5105's today, the fit was perfect pre-soak...  :D

Thanks for the info. I suspected this denim would stretch out that much. I was thinking of doing the same thing as you did, wearing them damp and stretching in them a bit. 

I think I may keep this size. Going up a size would only increase the thigh minimally (less than .25"), while increasing the waist a full 1", and I don't need more waist room. I little more hip width would be nice. I'm sure they'll stretch, I just have to make the time to try it. 

Got any fit pics? 

Is it comfortable sitting down?

Yeah, they're not bad sitting down, as the denim has quite a bit of give. Being new the denim is really rough, so it's a bit abrasive on the areas where they are tight. 

@everyinchofgod - I was looking through the previous pages and couldn't find out whether you have another pair of SGs, and if so, what the tag size on them is. 

I love the concept of the 5xxx denim and would love to consider getting a pair of these down the road after the summer but that top block (especially the rise) just seems too small for me. I am just trying to determine whether that top block is a result of sizing down or if it is that way by design.

From the mid-thigh down, those pants look great. Same goes for you mpukas.

I sized down too, but I've lost some weight and my waist size is smaller than it was, so I went with a 32. If I went with a 33, the waist would have been too big, I prolly would have gained a little room in the hips which would have been nice, and a very small amount in the thighs. 

The front rise is 9.5" and the back rise is 14.5", measured from the bar tack at the crotch seam on both sides. That's a 5" difference, and I wish the front rise was 1" taller. 

I think what some of the other fella's have said previously is correct in that this denim shrinks a lot. I wonder if the good folks at SG didn't realize how much this denim would shrink compared to their other denims, say the 21xx. If they used the same patterns as for other denims and didn't make any adjustments, and this denim shrinks more, then that would explain why the 51xx are running small after wash/soak. 

I just measured the waist on mine, and it appears that my fat ass has stretched the waist to 35". !!!

This denim may shrink a bunch, but it also stretches a bunch, apparently. I still think I would have been better off with a 33, but with this much stretch in the waist, I would definitely not been able to wear them without a belt.

That is a lot of stretch in the waist. How much have the thighs stretched? It's your call, but in your pics I think the 32's looks good, as long as they are comfortable.