The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

Thanks for all the comments and advices regarding the SG hoodie.

I did however send it back.

I love the fabric and colour. But I did not feel comfortable with the fit when trying it on.

The search for the "perfect" hoodie continues.

New belt. Got it in size 36 from Self Edge.

If it had been available in a 34 or a 35 I would have taken that. 

I use it at the second tightest hole. So I can only hope it will not stretch to much :>

I am super happy with it nevertheless.

It is a real beauty.

Going to be fun seeing it age and evolve.

_MG_3118_2_rs.jpg

just got my SG3105s. I understand they are left hand twill and i keep hearing of a more blurry fade can anyone shed some light on  this and maybe provide some good examples of this type of fade.

here are my post soak fits. going to get them hemmed a couple inches sunday IMG_3473_zpsg5tvoaz1.png IMG_3514_zpsq6om8s0j.png

IMG_3515_zpsgd8s2ptj.png

Edited by drew_breeze

I'm currently interested in getting a pair of 2109's, but I'm not sure what size I should get as I don't live in the US to be able to go to Self Edge to try em on. I really want a fit to be similar to my NF elephant 4 skinny guys

Current measurements for my E4's (size 30), as according to BiG measurements

Waist: 15 in

Front Rise: 9 in

Thigh: 11 in

Knee: 7.5 in

Hem: 6.5 in (tapered), doesn't matter 

Regards

i too am interested in getting a pair of 1109/2109's. I got a sz 34 like 3 years ago and was reading through my emails and apparently I returned them because they were too big. I imagine im around the same size now.

I wear a sz 33 ST 220x, and a sz 34 SExI14 (a tad large around the waist)

Im guessing, if I want these I should look for them in a sz 33? And then I can hot/cold soak depending on how much I need them to shrink?

@supitskevin & @ kr00kd - I have the 2105's in size 34. This denim is a fairly loose weave and will stretch out after a few wears. The waist measures 35.5" after a couple hot washes and many wears - the original measured size according to SE chart. I've given them a hot wash a couple of times attempting to shrink the waist down, but it just stretches out again. The thighs shrunk up a bit but didn't stretch out like the waist did. I can practically pull them off my hips without unbuttoning them, lol. 

waist: 35.5

front rise: 10.75

back rise: 14.5 

thigh: 12.5

knee: 8.75

hem: 8.5 

For comparison I now wear IE 634S SExIH13 in size 33 - waist is 33 and thigh is 15.50 and they are nearly perfect on me (but I don't go for the super slim tapered look). 

I'm trying to sell my 2105 size 34 in the market place - If/when they do sell I'm planning on getting another pair of 2105 in 33, only because the thighs run narrow for me. Otherwise I'd even go for a 32 and only cold wash them, maybe... 

Tough jeans to size as this denim moves around a lot, and I find the cut not the best fit for my body/style (athletic with big thighs and small waist). Awesome jeans though. 

SOME ONE PLEASE BUY MY 2105 34'S!!! LOL ;-) 

yeah they look really nice, Im more itnerested in finding a cut that works well. after looking at SE's sizing, the issues I see is in sz 33, the 5109s are .5 slimmer in the thigh, .3 slimmer in the knee. leg opening doesn't bother me, knee doesnt really either - but i ride a bike so i gotta have thigh movement.

whats the deal with them? new? soaked? measurements? price?

im for sure interested just gotta figure some stuff out.

@supitskevin - check out my review on the SG2109s for sizing movement pre/post. Based upon your measurements on BiG, I would go with tag size 30. I am currently am wearing tag size 31, and based upon the waist, could fit into a 30 but that would make the thigh, knee, and most likely the rise too uncomfortable/tapered. Waists run a little loose on SG. I would focus on thigh, rise, knee, and leg opening measurements. In all likelihood, the waist will shrink up a bit once the pant gets its first wash, but as mupukas mentioned, the loose weave means the waist may shrink back out.

@kr00kd - were they too big around the waist or all around? Regarding soaks, I would not advise on a sizing in which you would only cold soak them prior to the first wear. While the top block doesn't experience that much movement, the inseam does. It will throw off your fades once you do get them in the wash.

@drewbreeze - http://www.rawrdenim.com/2013/07/fade-friday-naked-famous-left-hand-twill-15-months-2-washes-2/

I believe that this is a good example of what left hand twill will get you in terms of fades. From what I have read and reviewed, the twill is intended to construct a softer fabric. Once worn in, the softer fabric will result in that blurred fade. I have also heard that it is harder to get high contrast fades with left hand twill due to the softness factor though I believe that, like all the fade pics you see, depends more on the end user.

Then again, people who are wearing LHT report none of the properties above. See the below link. Like some things on this forum you will eventually read yourself into a subjective abyss and come out more confused then when you went in. Rock them. The fit looks great and the denim is top notch. In the end isn't that what really matters?

http://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/comments/2b11ii/difference_between_nf_lefthand_twill_and_dirty/

@laxlife1234: I am wondering how you were able to get more shrinkage. Based upon my measurements I thought I got more than most people, but am always looking for ways to improve upon the regimen I have used thus far. My regimen thus far: 6 stock pots of boiling water per 45min soak without agitation. Also regarding threading, are you referencing the arcuates?

It's a bit unorthodox, but I do throw mine in the dryer. I don't do it until they are dry, I do it until they are damp this has gotten me the most shrinkage. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me on this method and I can't say I blame them, but it's always worked for me and my denim doesn't necessarily get ruined. 

It's a bit unorthodox, but I do throw mine in the dryer. I don't do it until they are dry, I do it until they are damp this has gotten me the most shrinkage. I'm sure plenty will disagree with me on this method and I can't say I blame them, but it's always worked for me and my denim doesn't necessarily get ruined. 

Although I haven't read about this, I see the logic behind it if you want agitation and the assurance that you won't experience movement in subsequent washes. How many pairs have you tried this process on? I am too inexperienced and nowhere near as ballsy as you are and play the anxious, "wait and see," approach. Meaning, soak again with agitation if the first go around didn't yield the amount of shrink I am going for.  

My belief is that you should think about what you are going to do in the future with your jeans re: water, that will get the most shrinkage, and do it up front.

For instance, if you never plan on washing them, then don't wash them and just soak.

But if you literally plan on washing them even once, do it up front because whether it be as soon as you get them, or 1 year down the road, you're going to want to know how they fit and it's better to figure it out when they're new and you can resell them if need be.

^

I'm on the lazy side and just wear my raw denim gear the natural dry never ever washed or soaked way one size too big for comfi all day wear and every day in a row about 2 years before downgrading them as my outdoor and later as my work pants

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak

Although I haven't read about this, I see the logic behind it if you want agitation and the assurance that you won't experience movement in subsequent washes. How many pairs have you tried this process on? I am too inexperienced and nowhere near as ballsy as you are and play the anxious, "wait and see," approach. Meaning, soak again with agitation if the first go around didn't yield the amount of shrink I am going for.  

All my pairs, I've owned more pairs that I can count on both my hands. I've tried every single method, it works best for me because I want to know my jeans have fully shrunk. Like itsbenhere said; as long as you think ahead. If you plan on washing the same method every time you shouldn't have to worry. 

The only problem with the dryer is I have accidentally let one or two pairs (cheap pairs, thank god) inside the dryer to fully dry and that gives unwanted creasing. It also depends on the weight, lighter denim for instance will need to be taken out in less time.

The thighs will stretch a bit, but not quite as much as the waist. The denim takes quite a few wears to break in and soften enough to stretch, so be patient. 

My perception is a little warped tho - when I got my 2105's in 34, the thighs wear skin tight and I could barely lift my leg enough to get into my SUV. Since then I lost a lot of weight and my thighs are smaller - and the jeans stretched out a lot. So much so that I could pull them off my hips without unbuttoning. I even tried hot wash and drying them, but the still stretched out quickly once the denim was broken in. 

Edited by mpukas

I just got a pair of 5105's in size 32. They came once washed. The waist is fine, but the hips and thighs are skin tight. I went with a smaller size hoping the loose weave denim will stretch out and be perfect after a month or so. The RJB 105BSP I have in 33 have stretched out to 35 in the waist, and that denim is a loose irregular weave too. 

SG's are weirdly sized/cut to me... but I love the denim and the jeans I just can't stay away... 

I just got a pair of 5105's in size 32. They came once washed. The waist is fine, but the hips and thighs are skin tight.

I have both the 5105's and the 2105's and I find that they fit pretty differently.

The 51XX fabric must shrink more or something, because from the thighs down they are a lot slimmer than my 2105's.

I'm not sure you want to keep those... you might not even have gotten all the shrinkage out.  And if they're already tight it might be even more uncomfortable in the end.  pics would probably help

I think you are right itsbenhere, I can't imagine there being enough stretch in those thighs to give me a satisfactory fit. I was hoping someone here would talk me into keeping them.

If anyone is interested, a new pair of Strike Golds 2105 in Sz 33 is available in the marketplace.

@cld33 - did you like the rest of the fit on the pant? If so you may want to get a larger size in the 2109. The proportionality should be around the same. I did that myself. I loved the 2105 but found the thighs WAY too tight. I sized up on a 2109 and couldn't be happier. The waist has some room but not annoyingly so. I can wear them without a belt and they are pretty much good to go though. SG waists run a little large for what I see in everyone's review.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. The denim is great. Give it another shot. Best of luck.

I have both the 5105's and the 2105's and I find that they fit pretty differently.

The 51XX fabric must shrink more or something, because from the thighs down they are a lot slimmer than my 2105's.

That's interesting. Did you get your 5105 raw, and did they fit similar to the 2105 when raw? How much does the 51xx denim stretch out after being washed? 

Makes sizing these jeans even tougher. 

Not sure yet if gonna keep the 5105 size 32 or not. Currently they look like I went shopping at the Junior Miss department of PC Penny and scored me some low rise super skinny tapered jeans LOL. Fit pics may not be appropriate at this point. I'm finally getting to the cause of my back/sciatica issues, and if/when I starting getting back into shape, there's no way these are gonna work me unless they stretch a lot. 

@ mpukas, if u dont mind, whats youre measurements for the 5105?

Ive been interested in these for a while.

I have a pair of 2109's sz 32 and was curious if i should go with size 32 in these as well.

Edited by chewie

@chewie; 

waist: 32.5" 

front rise: 10" (measured from inseam, not fold)

back rise: 14.25" 

thigh: 12.0" at crotch, 11.5" at 1" down, 11.0" at 2" down (measured perpendicular to outside seam) 

knee: 8" (measured 14" down from crotch)

hem: 8.5" 

weirdly, about 20" +/- down from the crotch the leg tapers out slightly. Wouldn't have noticed it unless I measured. 

I wore them for about 20 minutes +/-, walked around, did some deep knee bends, and I bet the waist stretched out about .5" and thighs .25" during that time.