The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

Quentin_hayes

Looking great already!

Awesome denim evolution going on hete.

Rock them hard for ever

I'm looking at getting a new pair of 1109s or PBJ XX-013. I've never dealt with unsanforized denim before though, and am worried about sizing. I have a pair of Japan Blue 0406 in a size 33 that fit me pretty perfectly. I can't measure them myself, but according to blue owl the measurements are:

Size 33: 35" waist, 10.5" rise, 12" thigh, 8.4" knee, 35.25" inseam, 7.5" leg opening

Anyone have advice on what size Strike Gold to get?

I'd try and measure them yourself if at all possible. The standard pre wear measurements aren't that useful because we don't know how much they've stretched. If that pair was perfect day 1 and haven't needed to stretch at all, you might get away with a 33 in both of those pairs. If they have stretched a fair bit to accommodate you, you might need a 34, especially because both those pairs are a fair bit slimmer at the knee because they taper heavily at the thigh instead of below the knee like most fits.   For reference, I wear a 36 in PBJ and SG and would go for a 36 with the JB most likely. 

Quentin_hayes

Great plans

Mine (size 32) after 4 months measure exactly as they did raw (33").  But I sized up one so they'd be looser for bike riding, so I didn't need to stretch them at all in the waist. The denim seems like it could accomodate at least another half inch or so if necessary.

I've got a pair of PBJ xx007s in size 32 that fit great (if just a little tight) and I'm thinking of getting a pair of the 3109s. Anyone have any suggestions for sizing (trying to decide between the 32 and 33 waist)?

I would stick with the same size in the 3109, they won't shrink as much in the waist as your PBJ jeans did so you should have a bit more room after the soak and stretching of the waist.

Here's the size chart to help you out, and we just got a restock of all Strike Gold jeans and belts at all of our stores:

​http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1069&search=3109

will selfedge also restock on the 1109?

1109 isn't being restock till January.

Hi everyone. New here, can't figure out where to post something for sale. Anyways. Have a pair of cold soaked/unworn SG 1105 size 36 i bought yesterday at SENY I'm looking to sell. Cold soaked for 20 minutes. Rise is too low for me. Please message me if interested. Exact measurements below.

Waist - 36

Inseam 34

Thigh (below crotch) - 12

Knee - 9

Leg Opening - 9

My 2105's.. I started wearin 'em again. Gotta get a couple of jeans repaired.

I wanna say about 5 months of wear on them.

p799546972-4.jpg

Laxlife, your pair has inspired me to look into purchasing a pair of strikegolds, especially with the Yen so low!

Could anyone comment on the relative differences between strikegold 2105 cut and 2109? Is 2105 slim straight and 2109 slim tapered? Could anyone also compare strikegold 2105 to samurai s710? Judging from the measurements of selfedge/big the cuts seem to be nearly identical except for the leg opening. In the past I have had some trouble with outgrowing my jeans due to weightlifting. I used to be a size 28, and now I am about a size 32 (kind of tight - no need for a belt) in samurai s710 -- would it be recommended for me to get a 33 or even 34 in SG? How is the stretching/shrinkage over time on the 2105?

I also have larger thighs would you guys say the 2105 would look odd on a large-thighed fellow? It seems as though SG doesn't have many straight cuts, mostly slim, I'm guessing 2105 is the least slim fit?

Laxlife, your pair has inspired me to look into purchasing a pair of strikegolds, especially with the Yen so low!

Could anyone comment on the relative differences between strikegold 2105 cut and 2109? Is 2105 slim straight and 2109 slim tapered? Could anyone also compare strikegold 2105 to samurai s710? Judging from the measurements of selfedge/big the cuts seem to be nearly identical except for the leg opening. In the past I have had some trouble with outgrowing my jeans due to weightlifting. I used to be a size 28, and now I am about a size 32 (kind of tight - no need for a belt) in samurai s710 -- would it be recommended for me to get a 33 or even 34 in SG? How is the stretching/shrinkage over time on the 2105?

I also have larger thighs would you guys say the 2105 would look odd on a large-thighed fellow? It seems as though SG doesn't have many straight cuts, mostly slim, I'm guessing 2105 is the least slim fit?

If it makes any difference.. with our sale and free shipping this weekend the price of buying them from Japan and buying them from Self Edge becomes far closer, and you can return them for another size with us or have them hemmed at the same time.

If it makes any difference.. with our sale and free shipping this weekend the price of buying them from Japan and buying them from Self Edge becomes far closer, and you can return them for another size with us or have them hemmed at the same time.

I'm flying back into New York this Saturday, I will be sure to come by your store, as I need to drop a pair of jeans off for repair anyway!

Kiya it's a real struggle with my change in body structure over the years. I bought a pair of 3sixteen 13bsp from you maybe five years ago, can't even get them past my knees now haha. Any opinions on whether or not the strike gold 2105 cut is friendly for a larger-thighed fellow? How is the shrinkage over time? I've had a problem with my eternals where I could fit them, but over the course of two years and multiple hot washes they became much tighter than they used to be. which is to be expected I suppose, but is it worth sizing up two sizes in strike gold?

Edited by youhadanidea

I own both the 2105 and the recent 710OG's, I would say they are pretty different.

Rise on the 710 feels higher and the leg opening is a bit slimmer.

Comparatively, the 2105's have a lower rise, slimmer thighs and a bigger hem.

Can't go wrong with the 21XX denim, good stuff.

I own both the 2105 and the recent 710OG's, I would say they are pretty different.

Rise on the 710 feels higher and the leg opening is a bit slimmer.

Comparatively, the 2105's have a lower rise, slimmer thighs and a bigger hem.

Can't go wrong with the 21XX denim, good stuff.

I'm pretty set on getting them at this point. Any opinions on the shrinkage? I wear a size 32 with no belt in 710, should I go for a 33 or 34 for a comfy fit? Would sizing up 1 look ridiculous in these jeans?

Hey Kiya,

Just want to start off by saying that I've popped into SENY a few times since I first developed my love for raw denim, and all I want to say is bravo for such a beautiful thing you've created.

Here are my jeans.

8510168027_96e1e2669e_z.jpg
8510168509_4e6d5c6201_z.jpg

8511278168_7a309d7003_z.jpg
8510168887_36c63d8f9e_z.jpg

-Length of wear: about 1 year and 2 months of moderate wear.
-Model Number: 1101 ----> these are the blue line selvage from when you had a clearance of some stuff wayyyyyy back.
-Washes: 2 washes 3 soaks
-Repairs: 1 crotch repair, with a small blowout present.

The jeans look different in different lighting. The top photos show how they look in sunlight and the fit picture show they look in the shade.

I'm looking for a fit like this, and perhaps the SG 2105 will be too slim a cut, kiya do you plan on stocking the xx01 fit? Anybody want to comment on the difference in fit between xx05 and xx01, having trouble figuring this out just from the measurements. There seems to be a larger thigh measurement and rise measurement for the xx05, but how is that possible if the xx01 is supposed to be the straight cut? I'm looking at this link for measurements by the way http://www.nordicdenimhouse.com/blog/2011/09/strike-gold-sizing-and-pricing/

Edited by youhadanidea

^I sized up on a pair of 1105 and they fit fine, similar to the fit in the pic you posted of those 1101. The waist is definitely loose, though. If you size up to accomodate your thighs definitely be aware that the waist might not fit you snugly.

^^^ seconded. I wear between a 33 and 34 between brands, or depending on how tight or loose I want a pair. I can wear either size in the xx05 cut, but went with a 34, for a slightly looser fit. They fit very comfortably, much like that pic of edd's posted above. It's always hard to tell without actually seeing the jean on you, but I've yet to see the xx05 look bad on anyone. Go with the larger size you wear, and wear a belt. Regarding the 2xxx denim...well, it's pretty excellent.

Looking to get a pair of 5109s as my next pair, but unsure of sizing as this is my first pair of unsanforized. The measurements of my 3:16 st-120x are Waist (alligned)-32, Thigh (1in below crotch)- 10.8, knee (14in below)- 7.45, leg opening- 6.5. the waist on those is pretty lose and I could probably go to a 31. Looking at selfedge's measurements show im between 29/30. I'm just unsure of how much the thigh and waist would shrink/sretch after a soak. thanks for the help