The Strike Gold

TokenIndianKid

I'm going to call sela tomorrow and if they have it I'll stop by and give my thoughts/take some pics.

These have been delayed by SG, still waiting for them to leave Japan.

Dang.... I'll probably try again in a few weeks then.  Super interested in the denim since I saw your instagram post, and even though the cut probably won't work for me I still want to check it out.  it looks like it has crazy character.

It's been a week. Any update on the new denim?

It's landed at SESF including two new flannels in red and yellow. 

They'll be at all stores by April 5th at the latest.  They're sending them out in batches.

Had a guy come into our store wearing the SG 11XX denim and it looked great, very slubby and irregular.

Said he picked them up at SESF about a year ago and had been wearing them since.

Not too often that I see someone wearing quality denim around here, so I had to talk to him about it.

Not too often that I see someone wearing quality denim around here, so I had to talk to him about it.

Really? I would think Austin would have a respectable sized denim representation.

Is it mostly just mainstream Levi's?

Well we don't really have any shops that carry any quality denim, I think that's the main problem.

Mainstream Levi's, N&F and that's about all I see.

Also waaaay too much True Religion.  <_<

But every now and then I run into people with quality pairs.  A guy wearing some Onis came in awhile ago, cool guy.

It's funny, I work at a shop that sells mainstream Levis and N&F and every now and then someone will ask me about what jeans I'm wearing and I'm like uhhh sorry, we don't carry these here.  :blush:   Always pisses my bosses off haha.

I've been reading through this thread and the SE thread looking for details of the new denim for TSG and can't seem to find any, am I missing something? Probably hiding in plain sight...

Also, seriously thinking about a pair of 1105's but having some trouble figuring out 32 vs 33. I've been reading mixed reviews about the amount of shrinkage they get. I'm coming off a pair of Samurai 710's (size 32) that fit great in the top block and thigh, but I don't like the taper and can handle a narrower knee.

Here's my 710 measurements:

Waist 33

Thigh 11.75

Knee 9.75

Leg Opening 8.25

TL;DR: Not sure if 1105 in 32 will be too small in the top block/thigh, not sure if 33 will be too loose in the waist...

Thanks for any help guys!

Edited by DFreshLeish

soooo, this happened today - 3109's

13459640503_05c22ba55f_c.jpg

i quit my job recently and it's customary for the collection plate to get passed around and a present bought with the results. i rigged the system and made sure i got store credit at Corlection in Sydney. i wandered in there today and tried these one just because, and ended up buying them.

fit pics soon.

no pics yet, but after a machine wash on 30 degrees (it may have been cold as i think the hot water is broken) they've shrunk an inch in the length and an inch in the waist.

it's worth pointing out actually that Corlection's stock of Strike Gold jeans are all 34" in the leg rather than the usual 37" or whatever.. so if any of you short folk are after SG then i'd check them out.

i'm Having a chance to touch and feel the new jeans we're all waiting for, the classic series 51xx..

Here they are some pictures of it (sorry for the quality) :

2014-03-30-09-17-34_photo_zpsdef4778a.jp

2014-03-30-09-18-12_photo_zps9c99c81c.jp

2014-03-30-09-19-48_photo_zps0710a340.jp

2014-03-30-09-20-13_photo_zpsada75308.jp

2014-03-30-09-21-02_photo_zps6163ce9c.jp

this jeans is amazing. let's go straight to its fabric.

it is totally different with the rest 3 denims (11xx, 21xx, 31xx), this one is not as rigid as those 3 denims as the weave is not too tight. But i don't know what will happen after soaking. furthermore, i really love the short slub on them, maybe you love it too! I compared it with my 3 oni denims which are famous by the slubbiness, i tought they're quite similar, but 51xx has their own slubby style.. i'm sure this one will age uniquely.

Those look great, definitely have my eye on a pair.

I usually want to try out every brand possible but the 51XX denim looks awesome and I do like the XX05 cut a lot.

I'm also curious about the breathability of this denim, 15 oz. would be a nice year round weight for Texas.

My 2105's are getting hemmed right now, they've been aging quite well.

I'll try to do a proper update once I get them back.

Edited by Broark

this jeans is amazing. let's go straight to its fabric.

it is totally different with the rest 3 denims (11xx, 21xx, 31xx), this one is not as rigid as those 3 denims as the weave is not too tight. But i don't know what will happen after soaking. furthermore, i really love the short slub on them, maybe you love it too! I compared it with my 3 oni denims which are famous by the slubbiness, i tought they're quite similar, but 51xx has their own slubby style.. i'm sure this one will age uniquely.

So are they slubby like your typical Pure Blue Japan's?  I've heard in the past both brands were made at the same factory.

So are they slubby like your typical Pure Blue Japan's?  I've heard in the past both brands were made at the same factory.

No, i think they're different as this one is a real new jeans from strike gold. But, if we compare 11xx with Pure blue japan 005, 013, they're pretty close, if i couldn't say they're similar. But, let me know if i'm wrong.

from memory i think Kiya said SG used PBJ fabric for their first run, but since then it's all been SG's. i think also that PBJ now uses SG fabric after SG have used it first - i'm assuming some the Tenryo fabrics would fit this bill.

at any rate, this new 51xx is all SG.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know which of Self Edge or Klaxon sizing is correct for 1105's ? They seem to be a size off. Size 32 At Self Edge is a 31 on Rakuten.... Anyone have a pair of 31 or 32 that could take a waist, thigh and leg opening measurement ? Thanks

Post-soak fit pics on my new 2105's. A bit tight since their one size down from True, but I got a killer deal on this pair so I can't complain. The fabric on these is surprisingly rough and stiff, and somehow feel heavier than my 19 oz. Elephant 3's.

qehj6FC.jpg?1

8eWJXgJ.jpg?1

HPostDW.jpg?1

picked up a pair of the 5105. it definitely isn't as rigid as other denim fabrics but the texture on them is nice. I'd say they're a good all weather jean. I soaked them and line dried them yesterday. it shrunk down about a full size and lost about 2.75 inches in the length with a 45 minute hot soak.

the stubbiness of the fabric definitely super noticeable on the weft side. on the warp side, it's got texture but i don't think it's as slubby as the 11XX denim. it felt like the 11XX denim has a rougher hand. just from trying it on, i think this pair is going to break in quickly.

I'm going to get them hemmed at SESF tomorrow and then i'll take some pics of fit. 

got them back from hemming. they're snug right now after the hot soak but after a few weeks they should loosen up nicely. so pumped to see these guys age. 

NjaIQ5Ll.jpg

Cc2oGCsl.jpg

Edited by youngofthesoonest