3X1, 2X1, Broken Twill, 1X1. What's your choice?

Blanc0

Obviously, 3X1 is the traditional (and my personal favorite), but 2X1 is essential for workwear (but thinner by definition).

But I also love the surface texture of a broken twill, esp. recently.

1X1 is pretty novelty, but I wanted to add another choice.

What's your favorite and why?

3x1 accentuates the "diagonal lines". I have a Diesel in a light weight that is 2x1, but it is too crappy (not durable) and the effect is not that nice IMO. I find 1x1 mostly in dirty cheap jeans, it is shows not much contrast between the warp and the weft. Never saw a broken twill. So 3x1 is my favorite.

oh no doubt it does, i just meant that i'm sure most people aren't aware of denim weaves.

and as for broken twills, if anyone is looking for a great shink-to-fit alternative, i'd suggest a dry wrangler 13mwz. its essentially a broken twill 501 with a zipper, a slightly smaller ankle opening, and an outseam that's felled instead of busted. they're really cheap too - much cheaper than shrink-to-fits, but the indigo definately isn't as good. cone denim sewn in mexico. actually, the best places to find them are cowboy stores, as they're endorsed by the professional rodeo cowboy association...

and there ends my broken twill rant. i only have a few in my collection, but i think they're great

i think Blanc0 was referring to my original comment about not knowing what 3x1, 2x1 etc even are referring to. what's the 3 and what's the 1???

anyway, I'm in Houston and wouldn't be caught dead in wranglers...every country boy and his mom is tooling around in those things, complete w/cowboy boots, buckles and mullets... no thanks!

i personally wouldn't wear wranglers like a cowboy either, but done right it just looks like a paler shrink-to-fit with w's instead of the arcuates

and rhythm, just so you know.. i have neither mullet, cowboys boots or oversize cowboy belt... and no spurs either!

[and the 3 refers the number of filler/weft yarns that a single warp yarn passes over. 3 over and 1 under]

Quote:

i think Blanc0 was referring to my original comment about not knowing what 3x1, 2x1 etc even are referring to. what's the 3 and what's the 1???

anyway, I'm in Houston and wouldn't be caught dead in wranglers...every country boy and his mom is tooling around in those things, complete w/cowboy boots, buckles and mullets... no thanks!

--- Original message by rhythmandsound on Aug 13, 2005 06:34 PM

sounds like you're talking about hollywood... not the wranglers, but the boots, buckles and hair.