Favourite Japanese mens label

Jack Rabbit Slim

no...it's truth. seriously if you're wearing some trendy labels or labels that are getting respect than you'd obviously be getting compliments. if you were wearing some obviously shitty ass labels/jap hated one (i know you don't...) and are gaijin, most japs aren't gonna care and just let it slide because they'll just assume you don't know the labels. if you live there are in the industry and socialize in certain circles you might get called out, but then again you wouldn't be biggin up alfredo bannister. i am indifferent to the label, but i'd like to point out that to certain jap individual and on certain individuals it portrays a certain connotaion. whether the connotation is a fair one or deserved by them is another issue, but the imagery evoked by a.b. is as such i/herp mentioned.

The label definitely has gone down in street cred since they blew up but I think they still have a niche segment for highschool kids that want the look and can't afford very expensive shoes. I like to think its the same cliente that buys Hare. I wear a pair of Alfredo Bannister boots are my beater boots. They still look cool and since they are cheap, I don't mind if they get fucked up if I go to the club and a girl drops her drink on them, etc.

They really blew up in 2002-2003 when they released the pointy shoes w/ the laces that go under the sole and they expanded past their Daikanayama / Shibuya stores and other copy-cat labels started copying their designs and gal-o's started adopting the style w/ the true religion jeans/etc, from B'2nd.

i know the exact model you're talking about. and maybe it's not their fault that they got that kinds of imagery from copycat cheap models, but i feel that they did what was necessary to assimilate to the consumer market in which those types of shoes was selling to at the time. it was a matter of survival and i am not criticizing their business cause they probably had to. although it is a sad thing that the connotation of their shoes took that turn and they may have not meant for it in the begininng, that's the reality of the jap retail industry.

i'm not saying that their shoes are bad, but the imagery i get from their shoes/label is not something just made up. i mean, if someone likes their shit from back in the day, i can respect that.

the same thing can be said for beaut beast and shit...

i know the exact model you're talking about. and maybe it's not their fault that they got that kinds of imagery from copycat cheap models, but i feel that they did what was necessary to assimilate to the consumer market in which those types of shoes was selling to at the time. it was a matter of survival and i am not criticizing their business cause they probably had to. although it is a sad thing that the connotation of their shoes took that turn and they may have not meant for it in the begininng, that's the reality of the jap retail industry.

i'm not saying that their shoes are bad, but the imagery i get from their shoes/label is not something just made up. i mean, if someone likes their shit from back in the day, i can respect that.

the same thing can be said for beaut beast and shit...

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. What happened to Beauty:Beast?

there are people who wear head to toe hare

they are called ハレラー (pronounced hare-rar).

high fashion fanboys think they are peasants

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. What happened to Beauty:Beast?

beauty beast was some shit in tokyo longx2 ago. no joke. they were goth before goth/lolita were big and trendy nerd shit. visual kei consumers weren't on that, fashionistas were. and what happended? the usual. the non intended target audience, the visual kai lolitas and shit started buying mad units and thuse watered the brand down. beauty beast could have done something to go against the oversaturation, but by that time it was too late. nobody "cool" wanted to buy their shit...so in order to survive they opened acounts in even mistukoshi? seriously, can you belive it? it was a damn shame. this is what kills brand longevity.

so i can wear my alfredo bannisters and a hare cowl-neck l/s shirt but only if i'm drunk in a club nanpa'ing.

you can wear that whenever you want, cause you wearing that shit is different then japs or og-living in tokyo people wearing it...

it's the same as if an american wore some huge nike branding og jersey vs. some european wearing it.

so i can wear my alfredo bannisters and a hare cowl-neck l/s shirt but only if i'm drunk in a club nanpa'ing.

Pretty much. But you're gaijin like me, so you can wear a striped BR shirt and true religions and your legit.

Pretty much. But you're gaijin like me, so you can wear a striped BR shirt and true religions and your legit.

uuhhh, i'm pretty sure you couldn't get away with it cause you had coffee with jun t., know the lad musician people, run in various circles, etc.

once you're in, there's no graceful way to get out.

hare is acceptable to wear outside of japan.

i wore my hare tee to eat ramen in nakanobu.

i looked too steezy for nakanobu.

you just can't wear hare to trendy-ass places.\

you just can't wear hare to trendy-ass places.\

you know what i'm talking about. it's like you should wear a tux or suit to wedding not a hawaiin shirt or flannel (unless you in hawaii or canada).

what do you guys wear to go clubbing?

i don't think there's a clubbing-clothes formula like the US does

i.e. striped shirt, seven jeans with shiny black leather shuuz ala guido-steez

i just noticed the demogaphics thing.

t-shirt/denim pretty much, but v/neck orshirt/sports coat for upscales clubs.

It depends. If its a big/mega club like Vanilla. Just a simple t-shirt and jeans since the place is packed and you'll get drink spilled on your shit all the time. If its Le Baron/Velours, its usually a little more formal, maybe a blazer. But I try to wear shit I don't mind getting fucked up just in case. Also, no gothic/ninja steez.

It depends. If its a big/mega club like Vanilla. Just a simple t-shirt and jeans since the place is packed and you'll get drink spilled on your shit all the time. If its Le Baron/Velours, its usually a little more formal, maybe a blazer. But I try to wear shit I don't mind getting fucked up just in case. Also, no gothic/ninja steez.

exactly. if you wear some casual shit to certain places, girls won't take you seriously. like you imply you've got to read the situation and prepare certain looks for certain clubs/events.

where can you go to get your gothbeast on?

i haven't really seen a whole lot of high-fashion goth beasts in tokyo

people mix and match... e.g. rick owens sneaks with martin margiela

you wanna look steezy but you don't wanna stand out

there are some weird looking folks at l'ecreiur but it's a different story

how well do girls know their men's fashion? like, could a girl form an opinion on you by what you've got on, at a brand level?

i realize now that i run with a completely different crowd in japan from you guys, so this stuff is mildly fascinating...

depends on the girl, but generally speaking, you could make safer assumptions about certain girls depending on the club, event, or geographis, you get me?

how well do girls know their men's fashion? like, could a girl form an opinion on you by what you've got on, at a brand level?

i realize now that i run with a completely different crowd in japan from you guys, so this stuff is mildly fascinating...

Well it does depend on the group that I'm with. If I'm w/ my SA friends, they know a decent amount on male fashion. Probably not the specific labels, but the overall style. Like they'd be able to tell the difference between a salary man guy that buys his shit at Marui Marui / Tornado Mart and a guy that buys from select boutiques and a buy that gets his stuff from major department stores. It's sort of the attitude that goes w/ it too. Dunno...I basically have two worlds of friends in Tokyo. Business world and fashion world. The two worlds never interact.