The Best Jeans in the Planet (according to GQ) bleh!

john11f

it's amazing how people can confuse one-wash with sanforized

I'm amazed that people are even concerned outside of basic reasons like sizing and maybe that sanforized sheen people like on there Nudies. It should all some down to the fact that they haven't been sent to a laundry for pre-distressing. They are in a basic state one-wash, sanforized or raw and ready to be worn in.

Nice list. Kudos to GQ.

Pre-distressing is an art.

GQ has been loving the NS for years. Of course GQ won't rep a tiny japanese company that is only sold in one store in the us. They already featured (maybe it was Details) Blue in Green, Denim Bar, and SE which is good enought for me.

On a side note, I've seen some amazing worn in Jomon's in the Conde Nast Building.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I thought sanforizing cloth required water and/or steam in conjuction with physical manipulation to treat the fabric so that it does not shrink. If I am mistaken, then I apologize for making a confusing public post.

My post was merely a response to the previous poster that stated the APCs were the best raw jeans. If I had not made my post, many of you would be talking about the unintelligence of that poster for not considering all of the niche market Japanese denims that are of debatably better quality.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I thought sanforizing cloth required water and/or steam in conjuction with physical manipulation to treat the fabric so that it does not shrink.

You are correct, but the addition of water and/or steam doesn't necessarily mean the denim has been washed, which to me would be the opposite of "raw". Water is also required to dye the fabric, but that doesn't constitute it as not being raw, so I don't think sanforization does either.

imo

ps - where's ringring to answer all this shit?

From my knowledge the sanforisation process includes some kind or rollers or something to heavily compress the denim so that it can barely shrink more. I'm sure there are different ways of sanforising though, I think the roller method applies to Evisu.

I think the lustre comes from a combination of things, possibly mercinization or the compression of the sanforisation process.

I could be wrong though. (probably)

the lustre comes from the mercerising process as well as sanforization.

the most significant part of the process involves the heavy rollers as mentioned, which compress the denim fabric as it is being finished. starch is then applied to aid in the cutting and construction processes.

sanforized jeans are often sold raw, because they do not require the washing process to shrink-proof the jeans. unsanforized jeans on the other hand, like our japanese denim, is the basis for the one-wash state that they are sold in, to ensure that the guesswork of the shrinking is done away with.

to separate raw and one-wash is a little trivial, IMO, since as mentioned you often have to wash raw denim to be able to wear them. likewise, distinctions between raw and one-wash denim in the fading process are similarly nominal.

Did anyone else find it odd, given their status, that Nudies were absent from the list? Maybe its just because Atlanta has only recently gotten a place that sells denim other than Nudies, but it seems like Nudies would easily be the most popular dry denim on the market right now.

not to say i'm any better, but superfuture was a vastly different place when i joined in 2004. it wasn't split up in 1000 categories and the travel advice is still the most worthwhile stuff I came for, get out of it.

I was just being cheeky...everyone gets a bit neurotic around here...but that's what these threads are here for...you end up learning the most in the strangest places sometimes.