Songs that spark a certain emotion/memory

Guest DUM

Some songs can give you chills, make you sad/crunk/cheerful/etc. But I noticed that some songs bring me back to a specific time and place as well. It'll take me a second to think of some songs though.

Child Star by the Unicorns. I listened it for a week straight when I was in Toronto in grade twelve - on a tour bus with the school band, doing lots and lots of shows. It just reminds me of waking up at four am, busing for six hours, getting out, doing a show at a night club/theatre/school in front of tons of people, getting back in and eating and sleeping and then busing somewhere else and doing it over again. Lots of hotels. So, exciting, but kind of dreadful.

funny but any Eminem reminds me of when I lived on base in Sicily, so 6-7th grade. Obie Trice's first CD reminds me of my last year in England. Really weird, the album is not profoundly emotional or strong at all but when we were driving to the airport to leave I put it in my CD player and got crazy sad, couldn't even listen to it. Haven't since then haha.

I'm sure I have some better ones.

smashing pumpkins - 1979

blind melon - no rain

the sundays - wild horses

=summer in the 90s.

plaid - eyen

orbital - halycon on and on

aphex twin - iz-us

= highschool drifting thru the halls w/ my headphones on listening to idm, ignoring everything else.

filter - thanks bro

= grey rainy days in venice, italy--94?

radiohead - hunting bears

= crap industrialized views out of TGV trains 01

Some songs can give you chills, make you sad/crunk/cheerful/etc. But I noticed that some songs bring me back to a specific time and place as well. It'll take me a second to think of some songs though.

the knife - silent shout

ACiD - 0:00AM (instrumental)

Chopin - grande polonaise brilliante proceder an adante spianato op. 22 a

beetoven - moonlight sonata

blank & jones - desire

deew - she will never learn

filter - hey man, nice shot

eagles - seven bridges road

lynyrd skynyrd - saturday night special

killing joke - seeing red

local h - bound to the floor

These Grey Days (Dior Homme version), by Eight Legs. It reminds me of winter time and all the (pardon the pun) grey days that bring me down. The song also reminds me of Hedi's true genius and how he has helped revolutionise the ultimate 'Dior Man'. He was a true inspiration for me, and his Spring 06 collection brought my understanding and love for fashion to a completely new level. You could almost say, the songs along with the clothes have subconsciously made me a better dressed person than I used to be.

Drink to Moving On, by Grand National. This is one of my all time favourite songs, actually. It's one that reminds me of my earlier days, growing up in the cold and often miserable Sweden and Norway. The only thing I could look forward to was the snow and all the endless weekends of snowboarding. Here's a nice video, I thought would be nice to share with ye all.

Afghan whigs - Be sweet

Pavement - Grounded

(Art school melancholy 1993, after my first big break up)

Radiohead - subterranean homesick alien

(cloudy day on the beach on my last day in Australia, 2000, sat on my own smoking a joint thinking about my year travelling round and wondering what comes next)

Isan/seefeel - when face was face

Fourtet/aphex twin - Saw2 CD1 TR1

(Japan, Summer into Autumn 2001)

Boards of Canada - zoetrope

(Christmas morning 2001)

Thom Yorke - atoms for peace

(Melbourne 2007)

dark star - grateful dead

reminds me of 7th grade when i discovered the dead, thanks to my dad (lifelong deadhead), listening to them on car trips at night, just that weird feeling of being alone, but connected to the music

where it's at - beck

reminds me of one of the best shows I've ever been to, in jersey...it was an amazing concert overall, and it was the last song on the encore, I ran down to the front row, everyone was going beserk. I was about 10-15 feet away from the stage, and ended up getting the setlist at the end

disel power - prodigy first cd i ever bought, Fat of the Land, threw it in. Diesel power sound like the coolest. still is.

all of Parklife (Blur) and All Mods Con (The Jam) for last time i was in england

BSS - almost crimes/time = cause because i was at a BSS show and met a beautiful girl named sydney that i went on one date with. and it was a wonderful date.

dinosaur jr. - in a jar/freak scene for summing up how i felt for the first two years of high school

Loveless- the taste of warm wet vagina in the summer of 04'

His and Hers- the scent of warm wet vagina last winter during lunch at school. EVERYDAY

Donnacha Costello / 6.6-- the feeling of swampass as it was the first song I ever played out last year at my first gig

Nevermind the bollocks- Snowboarding?????

good thread.

i'll come back with better stuff.

but for now

the shins-kissing the lipless

me yelling at my ex from freshmen year to stop dancing on the bar like a slut cause i saw it in a laguna beach commercial

tracy chapman-fast car

instant fucking depression.

jay-z & jd- money aint a thang

bus on the away games for basketball fresh year

Sam Cooke- A Change is Gonna Come

Righteous Brothers- You've Lost That Lovin Feeling, Unchained Melody

Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb

Al Green- Lean On Me

Mozart- Requiem Mass in D Minor, Ave Maria, Fur Elise

Bach- St. Matthews Passion

Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana Intermezzo (aka Raging Bull Theme)

La Marseillaise, I wish America had a fucking badass anthem.

Vera Lynn- We'll Meet Again

Paul Robeson/Frank Sinatra- Old Man River, both good.

Sinatra- Moon River

O Mio Babbino Caro

>_<

brothers in arms - dire straits

takes me back to when i was 11 and my friend fell off his bike and had his head run over by a truck, dont like that song

wolfeyes - untittled I through VII (slicer)

lying on my studio floor realising i had no ties to anything and deciding to pack up and fuck off cause i could, happy joy

summer in brooklyn, 1995 at my aunt's house. The year that I discovered british pop, trip hop and techno.

pulp: different class

blur: park life

bjork: post

portishead: dummy

1997. I think that was the year that I got really into idm. Aphex twin's selected to ambient volume 2. Mu-ziq, autechre, oval, plaid, all of the warp/rephlex. Good times.

yes- to be over/ long distance runaround/i've seen all good people

yeah, that's right, yes

philip glass- mad rush

everyone needs to hear this song

anything by the cars or the beach boys

childhood/last summer my favorite casette tape, one side is the cars, one side is the beach boys

the clash- lost in the supermarket/street parade

god, there are so many

tom waits-nirvana

amazing, not really a song

marshall tucker band- hillbilly band

preschool steez

steely dan- hey nineteen

brought a cassette tape of this to preschool when we were asked to bring our favorite song

jock jams cassette

elementary school, my best friend(s) house

the shins- all of chutes too narrow

went through a period when i listened to this every day

ponieheart (no one will have heard of him)- go dead/hold the light

led zepplin-communication breakdown

used in all three (kinda four) skate videos my friend and i made in middle school/early highschool. ah the days when doing tricks off of loading docks was legit

my dad played records a lot when i was a kid, so i have a lot

damn

maybe more later

good thread!

Great thread idea.

Somewhat chronological order.

The Beach Boys Barbara Ann - First song i think i memorized.

Neil Young Harvest Moon - Watching my parents slow dance to this song when i was a child.

Third Eye Blind Semi-Charmed Kind Of Life & Everclear So Much For The Afterglow - riding my bike home every day from 6th grade, putting a plate of chewy chips ahoy in the micro-wave, and turning this on

Celion Dion My Heart Will Go On - First slow dance song ever, 6th grade

Pixies Dig For Fire - Road Fools 2. Still my favorite song of all time

The Smiths This Charming Man - I still vividly remember listening to this song for this first time when i was 14.

Steely Dan My Old School - 14 again, Riding the tractor on the wetland, praying that 106.3 would play this every afternoon.

The Replacements Sixteen Blue - High School angst.

Little Jon and the East Side Boyz Get Low - High School dances and rubbin my crotch up girls legs...the whole cafeteria pointing from the windows to the walls...this is strangely vivid.

Guided By Voices I Am A Scientist - The oregon coast line and long summers.

Silver Jews Random Rules - Changed soooo much...

Outkast Spottieottiedogaliscious - Ridin around Corvallis with Aaron senior year blazed out of our minds.

Talking Heads This Must Be The Place - Homesick as fuck freshman year

Gram Parsons How Much Ive Lied - Realizing that the inevitable is happening, i am beccoming my dad

New Order Perfect Kiss - The ultimate New Order dance mix we listened too at every party last year.

Mariah Carey Fantasy - Belting this out with 15 other people in the lab a few years ago...ill probably never live it down.

David Bowie Sound and Vision - Riding around Portland, smoking a joint in Gina C's droptop.

Smog Truth Serom - Reminds me of Kentucky and how much i love it.

Tortoise & Bonnie Prince Billy Pancho - The last song i can remember that i became completely obsessed with.

Mudvayne - Mercy, Severity: Driving to a highschool musical 4 and a half years ago with all my guitar gear in the back seat, so I could get paid to play in their pit orchestra.

I don't know why, but I get flash backs of the road, the steering wheel, the emotion, the smell of djarum cloves, the clothes i was wearing... its kinda fucking weird actually.