tin house / old town

linkejeuk

I have a jacket (in heavyweight canvas), a shirt (in linen), and a pair of trousers (in mediumweight canvas) from Old Town that I’ve had for a couple of years or so. Unfortunately, the shirt and trousers are at my parents' place (which is near to Old Town’s shop), and I won’t be going there soon, so can’t show pictures of those. But the jacket is at work, so I’ll try to post pics if anyone is interested.

The quality of construction of these clothes is really excellent: I think they’re all made by hand - and it shows. The shop has a number of samples so you can try on sizes and see all the different fabrics they use, but you can’t actually buy them in the shop: all of the clothes are made to order, I think. The finished items are wonderfully well-made: I would say the only similar clothes that I have that match their construction are shirts by 45rpm (ok, that should read 'A shirt by 45rpm...) and Margaret Howell – and Old Town must be less than half-price of both of those.

The cut of their stuff is pretty generous, as you’d expect, given their workwear origins. The trousers I have are high-waisted – with a rise that is way, way higher than even the highest denim repros – so you need to size-down. I tend not to size down with denim (I don’t have the knees for the SuperFuture fit…), and generally wear a 34 waist in nearly all my jeans, but the 32 trousers from Old Town are a good fit, and have stretched out an inch in the waist. The canvas they use is very hard-wearing, but also softens well with wearing and washing.

I think Cotton Duck is right – that if you wore all of them together, you’d probably look a little ‘historical re-enactment’: it might be a bit odd if you went for the ‘whole look’, such as the models on their website. (A couple of years ago I wore the shirt with a pair of 1937 hair-on-hide Lee repros, with braces/suspenders (I’d stitched the buttons onto the waistband myself), and two people called me ‘John Boy Walton’ within an hour of leaving the house). But the jacket I’ve got is very versatile, and goes (I think) with just about any pair of jeans that I’ve got (from Eternal 811 as the slimmest, to Warehouse and Sugar Cane 47 repros worn true-to-size as the fullest-cut).

When I bought the jacket, I asked them about the dyes they used, and I was told, ‘old-fashioned sulphur-based dyes’. The jacket that I have is starting to fade very nicely. They do have two weights of denim that they can make any of their clothes in, but I don’t know where it comes from, or what it’s dyed with.

Anyway, blah blah blah. Not sure a first post counts for much, but I’d recommend this stuff unreservedly.

The D, very informative post. I'd be interested to see some pictures of your jacket. Which model do you have? I've got my eye on the Overall Jacket, which from the looks of it on the website would make a great jacket for autumn (I don't really have a lighter weight jacket, only my heavy winter coat).

The linen on the shirt I have isn't particularly heavy (I really don't think it would be heavy enough for an unlined jacket); but it is beautiful quality Irish linen. Don't know if they make any of their jackets in a heavier linen than that, though. If they do, and it's the same quality linen, that would be a lovely jacket.

[i know you're talking about a jacket here, but if fro some reason you decided to buy a linen shirt, they're very full cut, with a long tail - they're clearly designed to be worn tucked-in]