Matsushima is one of 日本三景 but it's kind of a disappointment just like the clocktower in Sapporo.

I wonder if it was affected by the earthquakes... Oh yeah, beef tongue is good as hell in Sendai.

Speaking of Morioka, Jazzy Sport (record shop) is opening up a store there. I thought they were originally from Morioka but I guess not. It's one of my favorite record stores. They have a very eclectic selection. They stock indies mixtapes and records by Slack, buddhamunky, and etc. It's one of those places that is very "Japan." Apparently, they are getting an Arcteryx account too.

Thanks herpsky, insomnia, and fpar for your responses. They were very helpful.

I just recently finished and submitted my applications for full-time lab research at Osaka University. Spoke with a returnee from the program and it sounds rather promising.

Anyways, hope I get in.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got any sufu tips in Nagasaki? I been there but didn't see much. I know Fukuoka ain't far and they had some great shops. Been offered a teaching job there so that's why I'm asking.

Only been there once but it was pretty cool at least from a tourist perspective.

Think it was 4 hours from Kyoto Station, so not exactly close but it didn't feel like a small city; felt bigger then Melbourne lol. Latern festival was gorgeous and I didn't find myself bored although I was there for just a day. Just eat champon and sara udon when you're there and enjoy the port - was nice to see trams too.

Personally i'd say do it (if you can't score a gig in a bigger city), better than going back to uni.

Edited by Playahater

^ lol do I know you? How'd you know I was gonna go back to uni? or just a guess? lol

Yeh I wish I got Osaka, fucking love that city. But yeh Nagasaki is all this company could offer.

Long time fan of your photography lol, saw your post in Instagram (ledgerzzz is my account) hence the uni part. Pretty much in the same position as yourself and considering a stint in JP myself.

I love Osaka and Kyoto but honestly fuck uni and wasting a few years here, Melbourne is boring and you should prob hit up Nagasaki since you've got the opportunity (and getting paid for it) unless you can hold off and try get to Osaka or somewhere else in Kansai.

^ not sure what that means lol.

Long time fan of your photography lol, saw your post in Instagram (ledgerzzz is my account) hence the uni part. Pretty much in the same position as yourself and considering a stint in JP myself.

I love Osaka and Kyoto but honestly fuck uni and wasting a few years here, Melbourne is boring and you should prob hit up Nagasaki since you've got the opportunity (and getting paid for it) unless you can hold off and try get to Osaka or somewhere else in Kansai.

Ah now I know who you are. I know what you mean thou. I pretty much wasted this year. Think imma accept it, get my motorbike licence and ride around Kyushu on the weekends. lol

Did you find the placement through an agency or just apply directly to a school? When would you be leaving?

Pretty decent plan imo, at least you've got somewhat of a big city; heard some stories horror placements in very rural isolated towns - plus motorbike license gives you a bit more freedom.

If you're free to catch up some time drop me a PM, wouldn't mind having a chat to you regarding this, want to do it myself although have so many questions lol.

• 3 weeks later...

^

I applied directly with the school. I'm leaving on the 12th of Jan. They have intakes 4 times a year so you can apply now for the next intake in March. I wish I had more time to prepare. It's been a month since I got an interview and I'm leaving in two weeks. It's kinda sudden. Yeh drop me an email and I'll find some time to catch up.

And further to that... I will be in Nagoya for two weeks from the 12th of January. Is anyone there down for taking me out on the two weekends?

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Sup Superfuture Heads,

First ever post but long time follower/reader. Planning a trip to Japan in May for a fortnight and a half before I venture to HK. I feel like my itenerary is down pat after reading the Japan threads and numerous blogs. However, i was hoping to get some thoughts on some of the below if I may:

• Takayama and Kanazawa - are they similar enough to only do one rather than both? if I was to choose one, which would you recommend, i have heard Takayama takes the cake...
  • Is Mt. Fuji really worth visiting as a side trip from Tokyo? I've heard it can be underwhelming unless you are actually climbing the beast.
  • Recommendations for the best onsen? I'm talking the legit, complete isolation, high in the mountain type joints. Happy to travel to get there if need be.
  • Availability on tattoo parlours in Osaka? Anyone been tattoed in Osaka or Tokyo (preferably Osaka as I depart here)?
  • Would day-trips to the following cities be suffice, are any worth visiting overnight opposed to an extra night in Osaka?
    • Nara, Hiroshima, Nagasaki & Kobe

Thank-you in advance!!

• Is Mt. Fuji really worth visiting as a side trip from Tokyo? I've heard it can be underwhelming unless you are actually climbing the beast.
  • Would day-trips to the following cities be suffice, are any worth visiting overnight opposed to an extra night in Osaka?
    • Nara, Hiroshima, Nagasaki & Kobe

Thank-you in advance!!

skip mt fuji unless you have time.

I'd say Hiroshima is a real good visit. It will be a sober one, but definitely a place everyone should visit if you have the time. Might as well check out Miyajima as well. I did a jam packed day visiting both Hiroshima + Miyajima and back to hotel in Osaka in one day.

Sannomiya (Kobe) is around 30 min by train from Osaka, even half a day in Kobe would be enough I think. It's a great city to live in but from a tourist's perspective there's not a lot you can't do or see elsewhere. Lot's of great places to eat, and there's an easily accessible mountain trail you can climb just outside of Shin-Kobe station, complete with waterfalls and a full view of the city.

I havn't gotten around to getting up there myself yet, but Nara's also fairly doable in a day from what my friends have told me. See some deer and some old shrines and temples, nice and relaxed.

I really like Hiroshima, just a really good vibe, easy to get around, and yeah Miyajima is totally worth it. Shinkansen will get you there in around an hour and a half - around $100 one way. There's a nice little hostel about a 10 min walk from the station where you can get your own room (and bathroom) for like $35 if your on a budget http://hiroshima.hanahostel.com/

THE OYSTERS IN HIROSHIMA <3

Also, it's where Perfume is from. If you want jawnz, you can always swing by UC and hoods. 

-edit- no hoods but

http://refinfo.exblog.jp/

http://highbrid.exblog.jp/

http://stream-j.jp/

Edited by herpsky

Thanks team, awesome tips there. Thinking of ditching Nagasaki - maybe next time I'll make it, and incorporating Hiroshima with Miyajima. Nara and Kobe can be side trips whilst staying Osaka as they sound like beautiful places to visit for a short period of time.

If anyone can shed light on tattoos in Japan that would be ace. I've heard it isn't the rave over there and some/most Onsen refuse entry to those who are tattooed - which could cause problems...

Thanks team, awesome tips there. Thinking of ditching Nagasaki - maybe next time I'll make it, and incorporating Hiroshima with Miyajima. Nara and Kobe can be side trips whilst staying Osaka as they sound like beautiful places to visit for a short period of time.

If anyone can shed light on tattoos in Japan that would be ace. I've heard it isn't the rave over there and some/most Onsen refuse entry to those who are tattooed - which could cause problems...

just cover up the tats, you'll be fine. 

if you don't look Asian and don't have really intense tattoos e.g. sleeves, you should be fine. i guess you can always pick up some surgical bandages that's water proof

Cheers fellas, very helpful. Dumping Nagasaki and Mt Fuji to spend sufficient time in Hiroshima and Miyajima. Will be humerous to bandage half my body for the onsens, I'll look like a leper.

one of friends in japan has tattoos everywhere (including his neck) and goes to onsen regularly without wrapping up. as mentioned, if you're white no one apart from a few old dudes who might give you a dirty look are going to care.

Edited by conqueror

one of friends in japan has tattoos everywhere (including his neck) and goes to onsen regularly without wrapping up. as mentioned, if you're white no one apart from a few old dudes who might give you a dirty look are going to care.

Okay, well I am white so hopefully I will be okay. Will be awkward af if they knock me back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys, 

Need some suggestion from you guys... I am travelling from Singapore to Japan this coming November. Traveling alone to catch the autumn foilage. 

need some ideas to settle my Kyoto, Nagoya and Tokyo itinerary.

Help me out with some inputs!!!