Do you guys wear outdoor gear like Columbia and The North Face?

bulkiness is all relative imo. what some might find to be big i;m comfortable in.

i have arcteryx gloves, an all leather model that I love. very comfortable and imo serve double purpose. the leather is very nice and can be used with a nice jacket as well as your hardshell. unfortunatly they'll set you back a pretty penny, but i have my best bud to thank for that.

but something water resistant (not proof) go with a windstopper glove. north face and marmot make some nice ones that i've tried on before.

go with what i said, unless you find a slim fit leather glove, but as far as i know , no outerwear company makes those.

the windstopper is your best bet. the popular gloves everyone has from north face are a waste of money. they are good for an inner liner, and are techinically the samething as those magic gloves from 99cent stores.

marmot makes a really cool pair of snug fitting windstopper gloves. the protection of windstopper is a plus.

i would buy LL BEAN

yea i said it if u just wont a jacket

i dont know i have 2 northfaces one i got in 2000 and one last fall

they keep my extremely warm

ones a mens parka the other is a womens parka

truthfully you need to buy a coat when its jan or feb thats when they go on sale

but seriously ll bean is mad reasonable u just have to sacrifice on the style side

columbias are also really warm i used to wear one in 1993

patagonia makes good fleeces i never owned their jackets

out to tax...

TNF has gone downhill in jacket design in the past 10 years.

arcteryx and patagonia are the best imo when it comes to technicality + style, but dont be afraid of checking out lesser known brands, like lowe alpine and moonstone. i like marmot and moutain hardwear, but a lot of technical gear is just lacking on style points.

check these ngaz out: http://www.beyondfleece.com

they do made to order custom soft shells and fleeces.

Just checked out some of Patagonia's stuff. Looks nice & their pricing looks about the same as TNF. I didn't know that they were bought out by the Gap.. amazing. Anyway, the only jacket I've really wanted from TNF was that jacket with a built-in heater. It cost about $600 but that's a shitload of money. I looked on the website but I guess they discontinued it or aren't selling it right now.

Now that I think of it, my peacoat got me through last winter better than my TNF jacket did. The only downfall of a peacoat jacket is that wind comes up under the damn jacket.

i don't have any background info as to why they dont have the met5 up anymore. all i can say is that on top of it they dont have the sidewinder and the superlight (i know thats not the name but i cant recall).

both were nice jackets but the hoods are WACK. they basically dont stay on your head for NOTHING.

my boy owns a met5 which he got on ebay for considerably less. the jacket is a nice jacket with a slim fit and soft shell material. it is a problem ridden jacket though, so he returned it to tnf for a fix.

Last fall either Marshalls or TJ Maxx had TNF heater jackets for like $90.

Ive owned a lot of patagonia gear, from back in my granola backpacking days.. their gear lasts forever, and they repair shit for free. ive had the same rain jacket for over 10 years now and it still works the same, though i had to reply the water repellent ish to it (to make the water bead up on the surface).

Edited by jau on Aug 11, 2005 at 12:15 PM

Quote:

TNF has gone downhill in jacket design in the past 10 years.

arcteryx and patagonia are the best imo when it comes to technicality + style, but dont be afraid of checking out lesser known brands, like lowe alpine and moonstone. i like marmot and moutain hardwear, but a lot of technical gear is just lacking on style points.

check these ngaz out: http://www.beyondfleece.com

they do made to order custom soft shells and fleeces.

--- Original message by jau on Aug 11, 2005 10:33 AM

uh ngaz????

WOW

out to tax...

truthfully, if you actually knew about the quality of north face's gear- it's looked down upon most outdoor enthusiasts. just recently it's become a type of "fashion" object that people wear to look "mountainy" or "hip". it's usually the puffy "nupste" jacket that north face makes, or the backpacks they have that now sell at stores that try to reach out to the younger, "cool urban" crowd. arcteryx makes excellent backpacks, but why buy a mountaineering backpack if you don't need one? most of them are specfically made for climbing purposes to be quite truthful. do you just want to look cool and roam the streets of downtown with straps and accessories you don't really need? of course the quality of an outdoor brand's equipment is going to be much more functional and comfortable for use and wear, and if your excuse of buying one is to have a "better built" backpack- go for it i suppose, but you really don't need it.

spoken from someone who actually does do actual backpacking, camping, canoeing, etc. - no one gives a shit how your equipment looks. it's about functionality, durability, quality, and what you can get out of it. if you look at true outdoorsmen, none of them actually spend tons and tons of money on "name brand" equipment. they don't have high tech this and that for everything, maybe just a few high quality "name brand" equipment here and there- but nothing like 35 year old business man who goes out camping one weekend and spends 1500+ on "the best equipment around".

but if none of this matters, at least i'll throw out a list of brands....

jackets/clothing: sierra designs, marmot, REI, patagonia, arcteryx, north face, mountain hardwear, black diamond, mont bell, columbia

backpacks: dana design, kelty, arcteryx, marmot, lowe alpine, gregory, osprey, north face (just daypacks), marmot, eastern mountain sports

hope to see you in the wilderness soon.... or, downtown in your case.

i wanted to say regarding tnf being cool or reaching out to urban folk

um "urbanites" have been rocking tnf since 94 where i was which means 5 miles away in bk im sure it was 93

so yea its not some new shit that people jumped on

its much more widespread

but cool kids were wearing tnf and as for backpacks talk to boosters about that

out to tax...

• 1 month later...

can someone tell me something about the quality of the beyond soft shell cold fusion?

is it good enough for cold winters? etc. etc.

i'm thinking of getting one, cause they look pretty good, u can custumize them and they're not as expensive as arc'teryx

'Don't be afraid to do stupid things, cause íf things wouldn't be stupid, everyone would be doing it.''

columbia product serves a purpose as does wal-mart. The quality is ok but that is relative. If you take into account thread counts,face fabrics etc it's nowhere near top. If you like the look go for it but if you want to customize why not buy an arc'teryx it's just as easy to cutomize and you will have a product that works no question. There are a lot of different softshell fabrics out there also some are simply shells others have different weight fleece bonded to the face fabric. Look for the tag, Schoeller and Polartec make the best and have many weights.