Perth

napoleon

I know there are a one or two Perth locals here so I'm hoping for some advice. I'll probably be in Perth next month with a few days free for sightseeing etc. I'm after interesting places to visit up to driving distance outside of Perth. I've already decided the 5 hour drive to Margaret River is out of the question so anything closer.

A list of good local pubs/clubs where I'm likely to see some local acts playing during the night. I've noticed there's going to be a two day blues festival in Perth at about that time. Is that worth a look? Any recommended restraurants, coffee shops and the like?

perth is a quite different city to melbourne and sydney. its not on their level for shopping, clubbing, bars, etc but has a very friendly atmosphere that if you can crack will provide an amazine experience. dont be scared to ask any shop assistants, people in cofffee shops, bar people what to do cos they are generally very friendly. especially shop staff. maybe its cos they are bored cos there are no shoppers...!! it is commonly refered to as dullsville but it is slowly strting to catch up with more interesting venues. but as long as you dont try to compare it to the bigger, faster cities you can have a great time.

some shops inthe city/northbridge

keith and lottie. (william st, northbridge)

harry high pants. (william st, northbridge)

gingers for gentlemen (http://www.gingershoes.blogspot.com/)

subway dc (king street). this is quite commercial (nudie, gstar etc) but will always carry local labels too. and the staff are ultra friendly so ask them of gigs on that night, bars etc.

periscope. interesting local and international women's.

coffee shop:

tiger tiger. free internet there also. oh, and amazing food/coffee.

city:

gingers for gentlemen. shoe store in the city for men. micheal has direct relationships with designers in italy so has exclusive rights in australia for many of the designs. (http://www.gingershoes.blogspot.com/)

club/bar:

hulla bulla bar. best small bar in perth.

amplifier. there a gig onhere most fri, sat nights which could be good. but at midnighht they open it up and its really good. dont be put off by the q. you will meet nice people while waiting.

there are also a few venues that are good on a wednesday:

connections (gay but very open to non gays)

flying scotsman (mt lawley)

you should make the trip to fremantle which is 30 minutes from perth. maybe on a sunday. there a great store called Off The Wall. for everything vintage. amanda who runs it is an amazing woman and great to find out whats happening around town.

there a good cafe called 'long macc' across the road and also one called 'x-wray' which is worth looking for. freo is very busy on a sunday with bogans in cars doing laps but its quite a scene. especially if you like bagans in cars doing laps. then head to Little Creatures for a pale ale before the sun sets. a new venue has just opened next door called the loft which opens later. most venues in fremantle close quite early on a sunday so its better to start early.

for live music you should look up the norfolk basement (http://www.myspace.com/norfolkbasementlounge) and mojos (http://www.mojosbar.com.au/). they are both quite small venues in or near fremantle which support all types of local music.

best beach is cottesloe.

oh and drugs are really expensive...!!

hope this helps.

Second the recommendation for Tiger Tiger, about the only cafe in the city I like.

Realm stock some good stuff (Paul Smith, YMC) but are always on the pricey side.

Hydey and The Bakery are good for bands (Norfolk too), house / electro wise Ambar and Bar Open are probably the two main clubs.

Dunno much about touristy places outside Perth... Margaret River isn't exactly that far (you can often get there in 3 1/2 - 4 hrs, depending how much you gun it)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...