MATO-NYC

tl915703

Personally i fucking loved their line of clothes from last season! Great pants, shirts and they made this one hoodie that i loved to death!

BUT, i gotta be honest and say I ain't feeling their shit for this summer. The whole Rock n' Roll graphic thing that they're on is just weak to me and reminds me of Volcom shit from the late 90's.

Everyone has a weak season here and there and I'm sure come fall or next summer they'll drop some hotness again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comparing Drunken Monkey to Obey & Mato are pretty huge jumps in style and market and to associate them is just stupid.

I'll agree that Drunken Monkey makes pretty dorky designs of what i call "anime hip-hop wear" aimed at high school kids who worship limp bizkit. If it's even possible i would rank them as a step below JNCO.

but Obey and Mato??? FIne i'm not really a huge Obey fan and feel the image and everything about it is way overexposed at this point. But teh actual clothing is flat up Skatewear, and compared to MOST Skate Brands (of which i'm also not fan of) does a really good job for that niche.

And Mato just doesnt seem to fall too far from say Upper playground, Staple or whatever similiar brand you want to insert here... Sometimes they hit and some times they really miss. Like i said their summer line was very very weak, and maybe that's what you saw... But Mato has put out some pretty nice pieces of wear of the past couple of years but to compare them or mention them in the same breath as Drunken Monkey is just ridiculous.

but to be fair, is anyone really cutting edge nowadays? people either like your shit or they don't. unfortunately it seems some brands rarely make it on their own without needing a visual boost from their well known friends (but not everyone). there are plenty of reputable labels out there rehashing the same crap designs and yet nobody seems to care, they've branded themselves to the point where it's cool to wear their clothes regardless of quality or originality.

I agree, Drunken Monkey is at the bottom of the streetwear foodchain but he seems to be doing fairly well---I read that he makes $15 million a year. but he's created a niche for himself which makes a big difference in the clothing industry, you've either got 'it' (whatever that something may be) or you don't.

the truth is, anyone can start their own clothing label. I could start one tomorrow and people would either criticize it (which people are more likely to do) or give praise. it's a tough business so I'll give anyone credit for being successful at it, even if they are a shit brand.

just my 2 cents.

if they move, kill 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...