Carol Christian Poell

JonathanFrom508

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might have already been covered (and if it has I apologize in advance)

but does anyone know what kind of treatments CCP uses for most of the leather jackets to get that look?

something to do with an 'object dying' process...sorry i can't elaborate past this point :(

damn that jacket is tough. i keep forgetting that Seal is a MACK

This might have already been covered (and if it has I apologize in advance)

but does anyone know what kind of treatments CCP uses for most of the leather jackets to get that look?

i'm pretty sure he does a few different treatments... like tans the leather and then object dyes/stains it afterward.

it's just to dye/stain the garment... can be done by a number of methods. I'm sure you could research it and see if it's something you'd like to try.

Is this what gives the leather it's texture? Cause that's what I was kind of wanting to figure out.. I was guessing it was washed or something but not sure...

Is this what gives the leather it's texture? Cause that's what I was kind of wanting to figure out.. I was guessing it was washed or something but not sure...

That's what would give it it's uneven colouration, although some high-end shoemakers do it in a very careful way that doesn't result in uneveness.

"Object tanning" could definitely explain the warping (he supposedly uses that on some pieces), however, as I tried to explain to the Poell is god contingent it would result in a more fragile pair of shoes.

it's just dying whatever after it's been assembled.

Object dying is more commonly referred to as garment dying. I wear garment dyed gym clothes. It's more about the way he does it than the process itself being particularly special or interesting.

That's what would give it it's uneven colouration, although some high-end shoemakers do it in a very careful way that doesn't result in uneveness.

"Object tanning" could definitely explain the warping (he supposedly uses that on some pieces), however, as I tried to explain to the Poell is god contingent it would result in a more fragile pair of shoes.

I don't think that more fragile shoes is a realistic worry. Poell's shoes are made in an almost overly-handmade style and look destroyed but very individual as a result. It's clear durability isn't the concern. I don't really think any of that group of shoes are made with durability and timelessness in mind. I handled a bunch of M.A.+, Guidi, August, etc shoes over last weekend and while I loved some, it's not like they're made to Gaziano and Girling, JL, or even Weston's standards from a purely technical "investment for a lifetime" perspective.

hey keska, I accidentally put a red sock in with my white shirts, I will sell you my pink object dyed shirts for $200 a piece?

Dear user Tyro1 I don't know what you are trying to tell me with this post but, If by shirts you mean this:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/calvinhkh/DSCN0586.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/calvinhkh/AsQLThnnNBaA.jpg

then, yeah ill take everything youv'e got.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think that more fragile shoes is a realistic worry. Poell's shoes are made in an almost overly-handmade style and look destroyed but very individual as a result. It's clear durability isn't the concern. I don't really think any of that group of shoes are made with durability and timelessness in mind. I handled a bunch of M.A.+, Guidi, August, etc shoes over last weekend and while I loved some, it's not like they're made to Gaziano and Girling, JL, or even Weston's standards from a purely technical "investment for a lifetime" perspective.

I believe the relationship between durability and high end construction is greatly over-evaluated on fashion forums. It’s easier and makes more sense to replace soles and such but we’re still talking about thin calf leather. With similar wear it is quite possible that my CCP horse leather boots will outlive my bespoke Lobb captoes, even though the later are arguably the best shoes on the market.

My concern with object tanning is that, following a regular tanning, there is a culling process to remove fragile hides that is simply not possible here. Combine that with the tension brought about by the warping of the leather and thread and the potential for a “dud†pair is quite higher than normal.

Poell is known to experiment with new techniques and this leap in the unknown has sometimes resulted in less than durable products.

PS: Have you tried some G&G, not exactly my style (too english) but great shoes nonetheless.

PS: Have you tried some G&G, not exactly my style (too english) but great shoes nonetheless.

I've heard great things! I haven't had a chance. My shoes at the moment are mostly on the cheap end, with a few truly glorious old-fashioned clunkers from John Lobb LTD (Not the Hermes Subsidiary, the way old-fashioned UK company). The JLs are sublime, but not exactly stylish like G&G. If I were to buy bespoke (as opposed to receive it as a bonus from work), I think it would definitely be G&G right now. That or Aubercy.

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard great things! I haven't had a chance. My shoes at the moment are mostly on the cheap end, with a few truly glorious old-fashioned clunkers from John Lobb LTD (Not the Hermes Subsidiary, the way old-fashioned UK company). The JLs are sublime, but not exactly stylish like G&G. If I were to buy bespoke (as opposed to receive it as a bonus from work), I think it would definitely be G&G right now. That or Aubercy.

Aubercy is quite traditional although well crafted and not clunky at all. Do you check ebay france often, they have plenty of used ones for cheap. Let me know if you need help dealing with the sellers as they often don't speak english...

I like the Michel Perry designed Weston.

Oh and check this shit out:

http://www.matthewcookson.com/