Sao Paulo, Brazil - The Guide

StrongerThanAll

Still Editing and adding new stuff

Hi, I am still new to the forum, came here to learn more about dior jeans and etc. I was checking out the city guides on SF and decided to take a look at my Hometown, Sao Paulo. I was kind of sad with the content of the guide it was obviously lacking several places to go.

map.brazil.sao.paulo.jpg\

1611414-Avenida_Paulista_at_night-Sao_Paulo.jpg

Sao Paulo is one of the largest metropole in the world. It is as urbanized as NY with huge skyscrapers. It is one the greatest economic centers in Latin America. It has all the sophisticated luxuries that any other big city such as New York, Paris, Tokyo has but with a different spirit, a better weather and a fervorous nightlife. However, you must be aware that like any other developing country, Sao Paulo also has its downsides.

So I am here to try and show that Sao Paulo, is a place worth visitting.

SHOPPING

Sao Paulo has several malls and shopping centers worth visitting. However, keep in mind that imported goods in Brazil are very expensive, so don't come here expecting to find steals. These areas are usually populated by very rich people.

Rua Oscar Freire

jardins-02.jpg

This is a street in the heart of a very high class area named "Jardins" (which means gardens), it can be described as a Brazilian SoHo. In this particular street and its surroundings you will find the most luxurious brands in the world such as Louis Vuitton, Armani, Dior, Mont Blanc, Cartier to name a few.

Daslu

1_daslu_1.jpg

Probably the most luxurious shopping place in town, it is a mega high-class department store with over 60 labels such as LV, Chanel, Valentino. You will probably encounter lots of socialites and artists here.

http://www.daslu.com.br/

Shopping Iguatemi (shopping stands for mall)

FotoIguatemi.JPG

Also one of the most luxurious malls in town, it houses many famous brands such as LV, Emporio Armani, D&G, Tiffany's, Diesel amonst others. It has restaurants and movie theatres also. It is one of the most expensive square footage in the world.

Tenants pay top price to be at Iguatemi, which also happens to be Latin America’s oldest mall. Cushman & Wakefield Healey & Baker’s annual Main Streets Across the World report consistently ranks Iguatemi the most expensive retail location in Latin America. When North America is counted too, Iguatemi’s $129-per-square-foot annual rent rate puts it at No. 8, in company with such elite locations as New York City’s Fifth Avenue and Beverly Hills, Calif.’s Rodeo Drive.

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0505/atg_8.php

http://www.iguatemisaopaulo.com.br/

CLUBS

Disco

IMG2443352007120351.JPG

This club is the club where the "high society" meets weekly, with loads of rich kids just pouring money in. Usually it is more packed than the picture shows, which does not do justice at all to the club. They usually play Deep House Music following the european trends. It is not such a huge club, but definitely one of the best.

http://www.clubdisco.com.br/

Pacha

IMG113582342007114745.jpg

One of the franchises from Pacha-Ibiza, over 10 thousand square meters of area, one of the favorite points for the rich kids. Usually houses several international DJs such as Fatboy Slim and Bob Sinclair. Lots of famous people go there to, my friend even took a pictuer with Alessandra Ambrosio!

http://www.pachasp.com.br/

Lotus

IMG2852007124815.jpg

A franchise from the club in Manhattan, this is another spot where the rich kids hang out. It was designed by the same designer that designed Studio 54 in New York. They play a lot of Hip Hop and House music as well.

Peccato

IMG84671082007141353.jpg

This is a somewhat cheaper club where still, many rich kids go to. It has great music, great ambient and great people. Definitely a most. Recommended going during the week on Thursday, which is usually when the house is on fire!

http://www.peccatoclub.com.br/

Hotel

foto_clubhotel.jpg

Less than a block away from Peccato, I havent been there yet, but I have hear great comments about it. I imagine it goes along the same lines as Peccato, and trust me, beautiful people everywhere on the streets when both clubs are open!

worth checking it out!

Well, gonna check if there is going to be any interest in this thread, if there is, ill add more stuff on this post as my picture limit is gone :(

I am always interested to learn about new places. Write away.

Since this will be permanently archived, anyone who searches "Sao Paulo" for travel tips in the future will have a good starting point.

About your picture limit, click "post reply" within this thread to start a new reply and you can post the same amount of pictures all over again. The picture limit is only per post, not per thread.

Also, please post pictures of Brazilian girls in Sao Paulo.

I will be doing a sememster at Fernando Getulio Vargas University in downtown SP, so when i get there i will be sure to check these places out, and add whatever else i can find! thanks!
Getulio Vargas is the probably the best school of Business and Economics in Brazil.

Are you going for an exchange program?

Where are you from?

• 3 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while as I have been swamped with my studies, however, i did get a chance to go home for christmas and i got to visit a lot of new places:

Hotel Unique (probably the hippiest hotel in town)

Designed by a famous architect in Brazil, Ruy Ohtake

5 star hotel, with a very pleasant view of Sao Paulo's nightscape

I do recommend you to stay here, however is a bit pricey, cheapest rooms were about 300 dollars, but it was worth every penny of it (especially when celebrating something, hehehe)

do look at the website for better pictures, the hotels lobby is so tall and sober, that makes you simply feel you are on the top of the world

ALSO: DO VISTI SKYE BAR/RESTAURANT, details on the next post

The Hotel:

unique_abertura2.jpg

unique.jpg

The Rooms:

uniquedesignhotels1_1.jpg

The Pool:

046990A.jpg

Entrance:

unique-l.jpg

Skye Rstaurant/Bar:

Located on the top floor of the hotel, it has one of the most privileged views of Sao Paulo. Many contemporary dishes by very famous Chefs. It is very hip and edgy, with a great vibe with a lot of young and sophisticated adults. If you dont like mingling with teenagers, this is the place to be.

You can have a sip at the bar by the pool, or you can eat indoors.

sorry, couldnt find better pictures:

http://www.modernselling.com/Image.ashx?id=198

img2916gr5.jpg

Barbacoa - Brazilian BBQ! Highly recommended!!!!

Rua Doutor Renato Paes De Barros, 65 - Itaim Bibi

http://www.barbacoa.com.br

Probably one of the best and most expensive Steak Houses in Brazil, many of the rich guys come here to delect themselves with there famous steaks. Should not miss it, although there are much cheaper alternatives which are better bang for the buck. Ill recommend a few other later. MUST TRY THE FAMOUS BRAZILIAN PICANHA!!!

g585480.jpg

barbacoa1.jpg

Was there recently, other places to check out -

Bars / Clubs

Milo Garage

http://www.milogarage.com

Record store by day, bar / club by night - live bands and DJ's on the indie / alternative / post-rock tip

Funhouse

http://www.funhouse.com.br

Live bands and DJ's, similiar crowd to Milo Garage

D-Edge

http://www.d-edge.com.br

Predominantly house / electro / techno

Bar Leo

http://www.barleo.com.br

Well-known bar around Centro (near Luz metro station) - specialty is serving the local Brahma beer with a massive head (think 1/2 to 3/4 glass). So smooth and creamy, don't knock it til you try it.

Markets

Antiquities Market

Sundays at MASP (Muesum of Sao Paulo)

Some interesting bits and pieces here, not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning

Reading Material

FNAC

Av Paulista, Bela Vista

One of the few places here that stock a good range of english language magazines (very expensive though!)

Yeah, thanks for contributing to the thread, you guys will find Sao Paulo's nightlife to be very agitated, with bars, clubs and restaurants everywhere.

However, keep in mind that there are certain areas you should not go, i will try and upload a map of the "region" which you guys should stick to, as it may not be safe to walk around. And I strongly recommend to use a cab at night.

mapyp7.jpg

This is a quick draft of the area I would recommend you to stay, be aware that this area is a more upperclass region, although it might not be entirely true, but basically most of the stuff if not all of the things mentioned above is within this perimeter. Howerver, I do suggest you to see the tourist atractions, like the city's historical center and etc.. but do it during the day, during the night, go to a fancy restaurant then go clubbing/bar.

Btw, if you see in the map the "Parque Ibirapuera", it is the largest and best park in Sao Paulo, and it has many attractions in the such as the Modern Art Museum, and the exhibition center called the Bienal, which hosts several art exhibitions and events which the most famous is probably the Sao Paulo Fashion Week.

But again, dont be afraid to go to the city centre, which is probably the only other place i would recommend you to go, as for the rest there is not much to do.

Also, dont forget to watch a soccer game!!!

ill post more info on it later

I'm sure all the places StrongerThanAll posted are fuck-off expensive, but all mine were on the budget tip - average cover charge at clubs was around R$15 (approx. US$8), beers would set you back R$4-5 (US$2.50 - 3.50).

Agree Jardins was definitely the safest area, but I stayed in a really cheap place around Bela Vista / Consolocao and had no problems walking home at night etc for what it's worth (maybe I was just lucky).

Liberdade is the Asian district, some good Japanese restaurants there.

Centro was OK during the day but would probably steer clear at night, as STA suggested.

i haven't been to SP except once quickly for work but the places and the area StrongerThanAll is recommending are definitley top-end from what i've heard from friends, colleagues, etc. thanks, CB, for posting some other types of options for us budget-minded folks . . .

I can't help you a lot with with Rio, but as far as i know, i believe that you should try not to draw a lot o attention when walking there, like, walking along the beach. Definitely try not to stick out as a tourist, cause they really have no pity for tourists. But i think as long as you keep your eyes open, and don't take anything valuable to the beach, you wont have a problem.

Most of my friends who went there (who are Brazilian) never had a problem, except for a couple who got robbed, but they definitely sticked out like English tourists.

And about the budget-minded suggestions, I will come up with something later, I do understand thats a pain to spend money, but I thought you guys wouldnt mind as the exchenge rate would be pretty generous on you.

Is Rio too dangerous for white people? My mom grew up there and we want to go back to visit.

hey ChadR, yeah Rio is OK to visit. this city gets a lot of bad press and this is well deserved, but the things you would do as a tourist aren't dangerous. take taxis everywhere (they won't rip you off) and don't take anything with you that you aren't willing to lose if you do get robbed. if you do, just give them your money and they'll be gone lickety-split.

i came here for the first time in 2004, also with my mother, who is from here, and we were also a little nervous but turned out we were paranoid. it's not like you can't go out in the street or anything. besides, if your mom is brazilian, she won't look like a tourist, right? (although brazilians get robbed just as much as tourists . . .)

#1 mistake i see tourists make all the time is walking around with a camera. just don't do it. put it in a bag and take it out when you want to take pics and then put it away. same thing with your next-generation cell phone.

just be smart and you'll have an awesome vacation in this beautiful city.

oh, and StrongerThanAll, the exchange rate isn't what it once was . . . they keep talking on the news about how much the dollar's weakened in the last few months (it's down to 1.75 whereas when i visited here in 2004 it was around 3!). last time i went to the US with my reais i made out like a bandit. anyway even in stronger-dollar times the more expensive brazilian places weren't so cheap. i don't think paying US$25 to get into a nightclub or US$125 for a pair of shorts at Osklen is exactly cheap even by US standards.

mojino- My mom is gringa- i wish she was brazilian (then I wouldn't get sunburnt so much). So considering that We are as white as they come, what do you say? All my friends who served Mormon missions there say its kinda dangerous in all of brazil for white people (who aren't missionaries).

yeah i mean it's dangerous i'm not going to lie, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't come. just follow common sense suggestions and don't carry valuables with you at all. Rio is still a tourist destination and you and your mom certainly won't be the only gringos here, no matter what time of year you come.