china :: shanghai :: general

aan den rijn

so what are the best clubs for music and dancing? not for people trying to look cool.

I know of Shelter, C's, Logo, Dada.

Then D2 is the new Deep I guess? Is it any good? Not gay but gay clubs always have the best parties.

Is there anything else I need to see? And where's the cheapest food and beer and seediest bars?

Oh and is there some place to get used/vintage regular chinese clothing, like the stuff 70 y/o chinese dudes would wear? into some highwaist pants and some loose fitting sportcoats.

umm and is deodorant hard to come by in shanghai? I heard its not yet a commodity in china unfortunately..

and what about some good pomade?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you been to 阿娘面 before?

http://www.ddmap.com/map/21/point-710569-%B0%A2%C4%EF-.htm

Find the H&M on Huaihai Zhong Lu and turn into the street. Head down like 2-3 blocks and it'll be on your right. Small red sign.

Order the 蟹粉乾麵. Make sure you don't order the one with soup. It's amazing. 38元.

haven't tried this particularly but i was disappointed by other traditional noodles they offer. overall it's a bit overrated. i will give another try just for the one with crab.

Find the H&M on Huaihai Zhong Lu and turn into the street. Head down like 2-3 blocks and it'll be on your right. Small red sign.

naw havent been there, i'll try those crab noodles when i go back in like 3 weeks.

What else are some "must eat" places? i'll be there for 2 weeks next time so i'll have more time to try different stuff.

i was sad to see the old wujiang road (the section with all the street foods) gone.. i went there because i wanted to eat xian jian bao but saw the whole area fenced off.

Some excellent 生煎包 (which is what I assuming you want) can be found at 食品公司, 2nd floor, at Nanjing Dong Lu. It's next door to the McDonalds. You'll find a stall that sells "生煎饅頭" -- that is the 生煎包. There's also a pretty decent version in one of the alleys nearby as well, from a small joint called 德興館.

dont worry man, the most famous shen jian bao joint in shanghai moved from wu jiang lu to the the mall just across mao ming lu. go 1 floor up from the ground and look for a place w/ many people lining up. that's the one.

naw havent been there, i'll try those crab noodles when i go back in like 3 weeks.

What else are some "must eat" places? i'll be there for 2 weeks next time so i'll have more time to try different stuff.

i was sad to see the old wujiang road (the section with all the street foods) gone.. i went there because i wanted to eat xian jian bao but saw the whole area fenced off.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know if Shanghai's Uniqlos get the J+ merchandise?

also, need more good restaurant recommendations. thx

Uniqlo in China Superbrand Mall (Pudong Lujiazui) would carry +J.

I remember when I was in Shanghai back in March, I saw construction signs for another Uniqlo flagship on Nanjing West Rd. Donno if that store's open yet or not, but if it is, it should carry +J as well.

yes, it opened few months ago. it's the biggest uniqlo in asia maybe?!

but definitely carries +J

Uniqlo in China Superbrand Mall (Pudong Lujiazui) would carry +J.

I remember when I was in Shanghai back in March, I saw construction signs for another Uniqlo flagship on Nanjing West Rd. Donno if that store's open yet or not, but if it is, it should carry +J as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i have been there, quite a cozy space, felt like i was in the US with all the brands they carry.

it's on 777 julu road.

best street number ever.

some friends recently opened a store in SH called AEGIS (翼杰室), located on Julu Rd. Brands they carry include Band of Outsiders, Rag & Bone, Common Projects, Opening Ceremony, Shipley Halmos, Wings + Horns, Nike, 3sixteen, etc. check them out! http://www.projectaegis.com/home.htm

guys, i will be in shanghai tomorrow and i want to know how can i get to take 5 in julu road. I will stay in a hotel located in nan jing road. Also, how long does it take to get there (by train/ taxi). also the taxi drivers there should understand english right ? Any helps are appreciated. Thanks !!

from Nanjing road, head to the intersection of Shaanxi Rd. and Nanjing Rd, and turn southbound down Shaanxi Rd (the street signs with the street names will indicate which direction is North East South West). Go down a few blocks and Shaanxi Rd will intersect with Julu Road. Turn left at Julu and Take 5 will be on your right. if you're okay with walking, it shouldnt be that far.

most local taxi drivers dont speak english.

• 4 weeks later...

So i've decided to move to China once i'm through with university (2012) to teach English and I think Shanghai/Beijing are my best options.

Can anybody offer any advice for someone who has never been to China?

From the thread it seems that Beijing may be the preferred option for someone in my situation due to the cultural differences and the westernisation of Shanghai. I should mention that my goal is to reach a level of speaking as close to fluency as I can in the space of 1-2 years.

As well as optimum learning conditions i'm obviously looking for a place with a decent nightlife, good food and all that.

I'm also 6'6''. Clothes won't be impossible to cop in my size, right? haha

Shopping may suck in Beijing (I live here) but the once every two to three months a couple of friends and I take a night train to Shanghai and spend the weekend there. Works pretty good for me.