china :: shanghai :: general

aan den rijn

There has not gone a day here where I haven't gone exploring for great food. As long as you're not alone, Shanghai is a great food town.

Oh man. I already know. My friend that lived here for two years has showed me around. I've been eating some of the best meals of my life here, and for the least I've spent.

Anyone know where one can get some bud? Haha.

annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm out. Thanks for this threak guys.

I'll be back in Shanghai for World Expo. Tentative, but it should happen sometime in the summer. Worst time to come, I know, I know, but what can I do...

btw to that guy that was like "I'll pay for your tickets and food and drinks", lol @ you. Have fun in Shanghai man. Avoid Nanjing Dong Lu at all costs, unless you're gonna stay at the Meridien, hahahahaha.

I am on a mission for two things: Green Panda cigarettes and some herb.

I heard that the green pack of Pandas is seen only in government official's hands. I found two stores on Huaihai Road that sell gift boxes of them, coupled with an ashtray and lighter. However, they were sold out. I have tried the regular Pandas and I have to say that they are amazing. Anyone know where to get them, or if it is even possible?

Near Huaihai on this road called Julu, I found a bong shop. This guy gave me a card there. I didn't know how to ask for 'dama' so I didn't even bother. I might head back there soon.

*Edit: Herb mission complete. Pretty mid-range stuff. The guy said it was the best we could find in Shanghai. Yeah, right.

I don't know how legit those stores on Huaihai Rd are, but I heard even fake Panda Cigs get sold out everywhere....

I am on a mission for two things: Green Panda cigarettes and some herb.

I heard that the green pack of Pandas is seen only in government official's hands. I found two stores on Huaihai Road that sell gift boxes of them, coupled with an ashtray and lighter. However, they were sold out. I have tried the regular Pandas and I have to say that they are amazing. Anyone know where to get them, or if it is even possible?

Near Huaihai on this road called Julu, I found a bong shop. This guy gave me a card there. I didn't know how to ask for 'dama' so I didn't even bother. I might head back there soon.

*Edit: Herb mission complete. Pretty mid-range stuff. The guy said it was the best we could find in Shanghai. Yeah, right.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone ever check out Stampede Kart racing? Holy shit. It is a bar/lounge that has a view of a go kart track that you can race in. Those cars definitely go faster than they should.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stayed in a hotel basically across the street from the Meridien and Langham called Li Jing Jiu Dian. Their standard rooms (with two beds to boot) was like 200rmb a night. The location is absolutely brilliant.

Check it.

The BAD thing about that hotel is that you will be up at around 8AM everyday due to the honking.

Need to work hard to afford JW Marriott or Meridien for a week, so I can fucking party all night and sleep till 4.

• 3 weeks later...
How is the area around East China Normal University?

The area is basically like any other generic area of Shanghai, except its kinda far out there and not that close to most of the heart of the city. The closest subway station is not too far though, although its still a decent walking distance. The school's "back gate" (hou men) has lots of stuff to eat, and very cheap. some shops change every year though so i'm not sure what's there now. you can also buy all the pirated dvd's you want from the back gate. look for the shop (not stand) ran by a old man and woman, they got everything. there's a lot of random restaurants to eat at in the nearby neighborhoods. stay away from the barber shops at night, they won't cut your hair. The campus itself is quite beautiful, imo. ECNU in the house.

Haha yea chinese drivers are super trigger happy with their horns. shanghai is up there on my favorite cities list at the moment. food is dope (xiaolongbaos have nothing on nanjing tang baos imo), nightlife is not bad, and the metro brings you everywhere. trains stop pretty early, but a cab costs like $5+ or less

didn't manage to squeeze in a visit to hangzhou unfortunately. we met these girls at windows (haha) who told us that hangzhou was boring as fuck, just tea and lakes? i still wanna go though. next time!

and fuck a herb expedition, the herb comes to you. those muslim-chinese dudes manning the charcoal bbq carts know what's up

• 3 weeks later...

I can't think of anything unique that you can't get elsewhere, but check out:

The Gloss in Xintiandi (the building with the cinema, ground floor), it carries Cheap Monday, Julian Red (saw the t-shirts but not sure if they have the jeans), Surface 2 Air, Freitag ...

O'blu also in Xintiandi and right opposite Gloss carries Denime ...

Aegis (opposite Mesa restaurant on Julu Lu) carries Naked and Famous and some other hipster shit...

Catalog on Changle Lu, not so much denim but clothes including some random pieces from Hare ...

There's another shop on Changle Lu carrying Lad Musician but the staff seems to have a chip on their shoulders ...

Source on Xinle Lu carries Edwin and Ksubi and some other brands (Insight) commonly found in Australia ...

That's all I can think of.

yea but i only go to more "trusted" ones.

one outside of Anar Bar is good, shit gets sold out so i hope that's fresh...

another one on Wulumuqi Lu near Shelter has its own store front. they double their cooking process by grilling and Tepanyaki the food. that seems legit to me too.

you still gotta be careful with those kebabs the xinjiang dudes be selling on the streets . you never know how old the meat is, or how long its been sitting out there.

Does anybody know where I can pick up some raw denim in Shanghai? Any nice shops/boutiques to visit?

IA art gallery on ruijin road in between huaihai and julu, in the alley with the "Shanghai State of Mind graffiti. If they are still open, they carry a lot of japanese repro denim, although much of it is 2nd hand.

• 1 month later...