writing instruments

PQRS7

High end roller ball pens are a waste of money. If you have the money to spend on a Mont Blanc, you'd be a fool not to get a Pelikan 800 or Parker Duofold fountain pen.

hahaaha, it's a gift from my daddy, will tell him that next time ;)

• 2 months later...

Don't invest heavily in pens since I rarely use them aside from the occasional form or check. Usually just get the cheap Bics. Most everything I do which used to require a pen I now accomplish online/with a computer.

I do use pencils regularly though since I'm into woodworking and still make my templates and blueprints by hand plus I enjoy drawing. I admit to using wooden pencils, but I'm a bit of a snob here--I use Faber Castell's Grip 2001 line. They're pretty near impossible to find sometimes (they used to sell them at this store for teachers but it went out of business; I did stock up when they closed) but are worth the extra cash. Way better than the made in China crap they sell at the office stores.

Also, while it technically doesn't count here, Sakura oil pastels are my preferred brand for art. Won't use anything else.

I buy high-end roller ball pens. ballin like dat.

lamy safari – $25 is a great investment into the world of fountain pens.

what inks do people use?

I swear by Platinum Carbon Black. Waterproof + bombproof.

Thinking of getting a new fountain pen before I go back to Uni in the Autumn. Has anyone used a TWSBI Diamond 530 before? I'm really liking the look of it (and price). Basically want a decent piston fill for everyday note taking. Thinking I may just use it with standard Noodler's ink - I would do bulletproof, but I'm too paranoid about getting stains!

• 1 month later...

Picked up a Lamy Safari with an EF Nib about a month ago. Loving it.

Just got a Lamy Al-Star in the mail today in Coffee Brown with a Medium Nib. I like the weight of the Star better than the Safari.

Took a good 50 pages of notes with the standard Lamy black cartridges, but just started using Diamine Oxblood in the Star and Diamine Evergreen in the Safari.

Need a go-to black ink though, any suggestions other than the Platinum?

Just got a Lamy Al-Star in the mail today in Coffee Brown with a Medium Nib. I like the weight of the Star better than the Safari.

Took a good 50 pages of notes with the standard Lamy black cartridges, but just started using Diamine Oxblood in the Star and Diamine Evergreen in the Safari.

Get a converter and use this http://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-Fountain-Pen-Nano-Ink-50-ml-Bottle-Ultra-Black/pd/4852

I just got a converter for each pen today.

I came across that (lurking the shit out of jetpens) and the reviews say it's not the blackest of blacks.

Looking for something really, really black. Was thinking Noodler's bulletproof. Plus it's not $30 a bottle.

• 2 weeks later...

im looking to invest in a Lamy 2000 but ive got a few questions, hopefully someone who has used/touched them in person can answer them. i dont know of any physical stockists in my country.

1) Rollerball or ballpoint? I read that rollerball writes smoother and all but the ink doesnt dry as fast & might seep through papers. Im looking to use my Lamy on the go, to take down short notes when im reading. But how much slower does it dry?

Furthermore, the 2000 ballpoint only comes in the retractable/telescopic version, feels kiddish to me. Would very much prefer the cap version, which only the rollerball has.

2) And does the cap loosen with prolonged use? I wouldn't want to clip it to my pocket and keep having it drop off.

Thanks for any help in advance

i really(x5) like noodler's heart of darkness, but it seems to be real runny and covers the nib and a little big around the base of the handle(?).

im looking to invest in a Lamy 2000 but ive got a few questions, hopefully someone who has used/touched them in person can answer them. i dont know of any physical stockists in my country.

1) Rollerball or ballpoint? I read that rollerball writes smoother and all but the ink doesnt dry as fast & might seep through papers. Im looking to use my Lamy on the go, to take down short notes when im reading. But how much slower does it dry?

Furthermore, the 2000 ballpoint only comes in the retractable/telescopic version, feels kiddish to me. Would very much prefer the cap version, which only the rollerball has.

2) And does the cap loosen with prolonged use? I wouldn't want to clip it to my pocket and keep having it drop off.

Thanks for any help in advance

i have the lamy 2000 fountain pen so i can't answer your first question, but i absolutely love it and think it's some of the best industrial design ever.

from my use the cap hasn't loosened at all and i really can't see it happening as it has two small tabs that hold the lid very tightly. i've seen people complain about the tabs being uncomfortable but i don't notice them at all and they're good for unconsciously orienting the pen in your hand.

i'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the lamy 2000 no matter what version you get, although i'd go for the rollerball or an F fountain pen personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a sample of this from Goulet Pens

Tried it out in a Lamy Al Star with a F nib on a Rhodia pad. It's absolutely the smoothest writing experience I've ever had. Probably going to have to buy the bottle now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

girl behind me in a lecture asks for a pencil. without thinking I pull out whatever from my pencil case and hand it over. left with another girl 20 mins into lecture, and forgot about the pencil. $45 pencil and I didn't even look at the face of whom I gave it to. never going to see it again...

and I just learned now that fountain pens dry up. what a disappointment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

reviving this thread.

i am on my last sakura sj-100 eraser and wanting to re-up i looked online but apparently theyve been discontinued for several years now

why would they discontinue the best polymer eraser of all time?

anyways anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

i have some tombow monos (yuck) and staedtler mars plastics (double yuck) but i really want something that can erase thoroughly without leaving tons of shavings and crap like the mars plastic