writing instruments

PQRS7

ive got a cheap pilot fountain that i picked up in japan, i didnt want to get anything too expensive because i didnt know if i would like writing with one. i love it and now im dropping hints for graduation/xmas presents.

i got my gf this omas for our anniversary. it writes beautifully.

np2372.jpg

looks nice. how cheap is cheap?

i have this from a few months back and for some illogical reason, i did my first ink well refill with it. it was so messy and it was really difficult getting the ink in the refill without the bubbles. is there some kind of tip i should know?

i mean, i pushed the air out, filled it up with ink, pushed it out again, and refilled it... what am i doing wrong? i should have stuck with the stock refill cartridge...

my pilot was about 35$ after the weak dollar - yen exchange rate. nothing special but i do like that way it writes. good starter fountain pen, probably along the lines of a lamy safari but with more classic styling.

that Omas was much more than that, but still well below retail as my dad's friend owns a shop that specializes in fountain pens.

not sure about refilling since ive only used cartridges. but im sure someone else has some tips

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are my two favorite pens. The Namiki gets the most use these days, because its considerably lighter and easier to write with than the Montegrappa.

4347636259_433710e4c8.jpg

4347636501_b584dd4693.jpg

4348383936_a9892089bd.jpg

Montegrappa limited edition

4347636003_5898921a1c.jpg

4347635925_7b84e664e9.jpg

4348383582_8efc8f53b8.jpg

4348383500_c62f2be072.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm randomly a Japanese stationary fiend. I usually write with any of the popular pens on Jetpens (e.g. Slicci, Hi-Tec-C) and mechanical pencils (Kuru Toga). I dont write with pencils but I draw with the Japanese greats (Hi-Uni, Mono 100).

big fan of the g-knocks. much better than the g-2 in my opinion. better grip and i prefer the joint at the top. plus you can get them in .38 which is great.

theyre cheap, too, which is good for me because i have a bad habit of leaving pens lying around and losing them. would hate myself for doing that to a $60 fountain pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Iam a big fan of the Rotring 600 series...

simple design, good weight, nice feeling and handling

IMG_0012-1.jpg

(sorry, had no full pic of them)

they were available in silver and black, with and without 18k nibs

EDIT: the nibs of the 18k gold pencils and pens are immersible in comparison to the non gold pens

Just got myself the zebra f-701. Not exceptionally high-end but great looking and well balanced nonetheless. Have yet to test it's writing ability for extended periods but will definitely get an opportunity to do so this summer.

Any recommendations for something that writes with bolder lines? Something along the lines of the Lamy Tipo.

I might be selling an all black .7 lamy scribble. I love the pencil but hate .7 so it's just been sitting around.

I have a uni-ball shift coming this week. Maybe it will replace my Pentel Graph 1000 which has been the only thing I've liked enough to use for a few years now.

my safari broke :(

i clip my safari in my bag, but somehow the pen fell out of the cap. it was sitting at an angle in my water bottle pocket. i put my watter bottle inside and it snapped the nib. the nib is fine, but the plastic the nib attaches to is broken :(

luckily, i have a back-up vista, but black charcoal was my favorite :(