Boston - nightlife - this weekend

confidant

I’m heading to Boston this weekend, and I’m hoping to find some good spots to party/dance or just chill minus the usual preppy/Irish pub/frat scene. I’ve heard good things about Middlesex Lounge, Paradise Lounge, Middle East, Axis, and Great Scott. Any good parties or events happening this weekend? I saw that Happy Endings is having some anniversary party at Paradise Lounge on Saturday – worth checking out?

Thanks for your help.

Paradise is alright only if there's a band playing you want to see. Same with places like Middle East. THere's tons of great bars and clubs, but steer clear of Landsdowne if you want to avoid the preppy college kid party scene. I'd recommend checking out Harvard Square or Somerville areas for a more low-key time. Somerville Theatre usually has great shows, and there's awesome bars and restaurants in the area, like Redbones for BBQ or John Harvard's Brew Pub for brewed-on-premises beer.

Great Scott is a sweet, smaller club, but again check listings and really just go to a show you'd want to check out. I've seen great shows are Axis and Roxy, but they're normally completely lame. Phoenix Landing is a good bar near Middle East (which is also near Zuzu and TTs) and you can most likely find a good show or DJ in one of those spots.