Dries Van Noten discussion thread

herpsky

I only own a short sleeve tee by dries.

I found a couple of interesting pieces online and I was thinking of picking them up.

Dries seems to be less expensive and more plain than MMM...

What do you guys think of the brand and how's the overall quality of his pieces?

Would this be a better question to ask in ZG instead...?

I only own a short sleeve tee by dries.

I found a couple of interesting pieces online and I was thinking of picking them up.

Dries seems to be less expensive and more plain than MMM...

What do you guys think of the brand and how's the overall quality of his pieces?

Would this be a better question to ask in ZG instead...?

no complaints in quality from me. Dries has some very nice knits occasionally, also some nice tees and shirts, somewhat in the same category as Margiela IMO.

some of the stuff is a bit too "resort" for my taste, loose fitting shirts with flowers, pastel colors etc. but his style varies a lot.

no complaints in quality from me. Dries has some very nice knits occasionally, also some nice tees and shirts, somewhat in the same category as Margiela IMO.

some of the stuff is a bit too "resort" for my taste, loose fitting shirts with flowers, pastel colors etc. but his style varies a lot.

I agree with Mike. Dries has some really nice basics like trousers, shirts, knits, and jackets but then some can be a tad frute swagish.

This Fall has some dope stuff though.

Asymmetrical cardigan, sheer knit pull overs, and this really cool print m65-esque jacket.

You can't go wrong with his pricing to quality ratio too. Everything is impeccably made and cost far less than other brands.

I agree with Mike. Dries has some really nice basics like trousers, shirts, knits, and jackets but then some can be a tad frute swagish.

This Fall has some dope stuff though.

Asymmetrical cardigan, sheer knit pull overs, and this really cool print m65-esque jacket.

You can't go wrong with his pricing to quality ratio too. Everything is impeccably made and cost far less than other brands.

dries' attention to detail is quite impressive though. i love looking through his womenswear pieces on the rack--so many touches you can't see on the runway.
Precisely-- Dries is about details. His menswear is very, very nice, imho. It's not as "experimental" or avant-garde as some of the other Belgian designers, but there's always subtle touches/details to his pieces that make them stand out. Very nice stuff, especially as accent pieces.

the line on dries is that he's the "belgian ralph lauren" which actually isn't that far off c.f. the resort comment above. like any other established designers, his lines are a mix of basics (which are reasonably priced) and more "theme" oriented pieces which i suppose are bound to have its share of detractors.

although you will almost never be wowed by his men's line (as opposed to his womenswear) they are very solidly made of quality material and occasionally have fantastic detailing as minya mentioned.

had some time to snap some of my favorite dries pieces to show off the best parts of his style cos i'm feeling like he's being slept on at the moment:

Checkered button down slim fit shirt with darting in the back

(nice detail - checks are a greyish lavender color, fit is slim without being skinny)

2aaj8fk.jpg

Another slim fit striped button down, stripes are a kind of olive and black

(nice detail - strip of grosgrain fabric down the placket)

jzu6r.jpg

Wool jacket - a gloss on varsity jacket (ribbed fabric on sleeve not shown)

(nice detail #1: herringbone pattern to the wool)

(nice detail #2: lining)

2qlz9t4.jpg