england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

• 2 weeks later...
actually - not really looking for anything in particular. just anything that's unusual or interesting. more interested in home items or vintage pieces (furniture or other knick knacks)...

based on BA radio ads running in america, portobello market is where it's at

you can also hit up diana's cafe afterwards for your full tour of notting hill notables ;)

Where do you people recommend for a haircut in London?

Nothing ridiculouisly priced though, like more then £50 I mean...

Hands, don't know if they're still in Carnaby St. The last time I checked they weren't in their usual location.

This is their number 020 74343336. They are Japanese.

On the other hand, any good food near Royal Festival Hall? I'm going to watch Zukerman on Monday. Is Canteen any good for their food? Sure looks nice on the website

The blizzard was fuckin' ridiculous, you would have thought it was a national disaster. I guess it kind of was in many ways...

OK, next question:

A reasonable place to get alterations done in London i.e. for jeans, slacks, jacket sleeves etc.

I know Harrods does it, but for £40 per article...

Theres a place in covent garden for your denim (a thread exists already).

For other tailoring, go to one of the places down berwick street, or over near sloane square there is a very well respected tailor/alterations place, on the street that leads straight down to the river off sloane square.

DWS is having their quarterly men's sample-sale beginning tomorrow in Islington... I've only been to the girls sale this year (xmas shopping for the gf), but in the past, I picked up a £300 Nicole Farhi coat for 85... so I'm sure there's good deals to be had this time around.

Certainly worth a stop by this weekend, it runs Fri-Sun.

There is nowhere that I know of, but you can get it online in the UK, I can't remember the name of the website but google it and it should come up.

So i'll be going to be in London from 20-23 march.

Can anybody help me with info on things to do? The whole sightseeing-thing will work out, but looking for some nice clubs (techno, minimal, indie-bands, concerts and stuff) and shops (Shops like Atelier - New york, l'Eclaireur - Paris, Darklands - Berlin, Sprmrkt - Amsterdam) I heard the Library or something is nice and Browns? Also, is the Rick Owens store opened already. Where to eat the best fish and chips? And should we travel by subway or busses? What are nice musea? Can we buy a dayticket or something or is this not necessary? Maybe some do's and don't for tourists. How about tipping in taxi's and restaurants? I know i'm asking lot but never been there before. Also should we bring umbrella's :P or is march not that rainy hehe..

Definitely bring a small umbrella, it'll be spring weather, but it will rain. Pick up an A to Z and try and walk often, as there's plenty to see. Use the tube for longer journeys.

For shopping, the RO store opened not long ago, it's in Mayfair. If you want to check out Browns, you may as well look at Selfridges, just a few minutes away, as they have much of the same stuff, but it's much larger. Still I think the best shop is Liberty, on Regent Street, as opposed to the Library, where I've been spending far too much time lately (postgrad concept). Also, remember to ask for a VAT refund on larger purchases (anything over £100).

For fish and chips, I recommend Rock and Sole Plaice in Covent Garden. For partying, the Shoreditch/Hoxton area is cool, comparable to the lower east side in NYC I suppose. Also, on the weekend I'd recommend visiting Borough Market, maybe combining it with a visit to the Tate Modern (free). Hope this helps.

Thanks heaps Sabbath!

Yeah... walking is the best way to explore London I think. I bought daily ticket for around 5 pounds when I was there though so I don't have to worry all the time if I need to catch the tube etc. If you do go to Tate Modern go and see a play at the Shakespeare Globe Theatre which is practically next to each other.

Maybe it's obvious but Dover Street Market if you want to go there, Rose bakery at the top floor is nice and cute.

Eat Indian food. I used to hate Indian food but they're different in the UK.

I'd definitely check what bands are playing during that period, none of my fave bands played when I went there in December :(

Have fun! I loved the grey sulky mood of the city...

Anything more than 3 stops is tube-worthy. Otherwise walk. The bus can be confusing for newbies. It's really easy actually. Just get to a bus stop and look to see if the buses take you where you want to go. If there isn't try the next in the general direction of where you want to go.