england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

Hideout in Soho is closing down.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• 1 month later...

Yeah he is a pretty miserable git. He makes orthopaedic shoes mainly.

I decided against giving him my Alden's to resole after talking with him. Although I'm sure he could do the job.

The tailor a bit further down who is now retired told me he had some bespoke shoes made by him and didn't rate them.

• 2 weeks later...

American student living in LDN, any london djs/club people on here with recommendations? Been trying lots of spots and nothing is too impressive

Thats because there aren't any good places left - door guy at plastic people told me c 2011 that the man was cracking down on nightlife spots prior to the olympics. 

Theres been a gradual change in London nightlife since 2006 when I first started going out here, everythings gotten more sinister and the vibes just aren't good any more. Doesn't seem like anybody is having a good time.

Edited by broken_dubz

thats just not true, London will probably never not be one of the best places to go out considering

the amount of money floating around, transport network, ethnic diversity, traditional protestant english culture, amount of young people, diversity of areas and general size.

There is everything

Theres been a gradual change in London nightlife since 2006 when I first started going out here, everythings gotten more sinister and the vibes just aren't good any more. Doesn't seem like anybody is having a good time.

People always say that. When I used to go to Jungle nights in the early 90s everyone was all "Ah, man the vibe isn't the same. The drugs are making people paranoid". Everyone says it. Sign you're getting old, mate. Get into real ale like I did. 

People always say that. When I used to go to Jungle nights in the early 90s everyone was all "Ah, man the vibe isn't the same. The drugs are making people paranoid". Everyone says it. Sign you're getting old, mate. Get into real ale like I did. 

Ha perhaps a more elaborate way to say that I felt old these days.

Friend was just down from SF - damn I didn't know London had so many good real ale joints.

Ha perhaps a more elaborate way to say that I felt old these days.

Friend was just down from SF - damn I didn't know London had so many good real ale joints.

Well, there used to be better ones back in the day but... 

Joking. Yeah, there are loads. You can even get great beer in crappy supermarkets like Morrisons these days. It's great.

now it means kids drink out of morrissons too and they dont have homes and they end up drinking on the street doing dumb shit

used to be able to be in pubs under supervision when they werent so strict and expensive

Lol you trying to be sarcastic?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anatomy-of-a-new-modern-douchebag

This article sums up the state of the UK c. 2014 pretty well. I genuinely do think people have gotten dumber and become extremely image conscious, to the point of it being pathological. 

Edited by broken_dubz

Days of the superclub (Fabric etc.) are over. The nightlife in London has gone underground. It's all about small clubs with pop up nights, private parties, warehouse parties, etc. 

As for the modern day douche bag, yeah if you go to big(ger) clubs you're bound to run into those idiots up and down the UK.

Oh and Egg is shit.

Edited by rirawin

Lol you trying to be sarcastic?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/anatomy-of-a-new-modern-douchebag

This article sums up the state of the UK c. 2014 pretty well. I genuinely do think people have gotten dumber and become extremely image conscious, to the point of it being pathological. 

unless its because you know/presume how young i am, there is no reason to believe i was being sarcastic

i, too, genuinely believe this and thats why i divorce myself from it.

Article pretty much sums up why i hate 'clubbing', and go to a lot more different things. I suppose in reply to Rirawin, i go to underground things.. but you have to be a little more in the loop/no where to go..

with a short look you can find a lot of the clubs that play non-popular culture music or asking around although if you ask in the clubbing scene noone will know.

Whereas for the very underground stuff squat/warehouse/private nights u need the numberline from people who know

Fabric still rolls on, however it is filled with a lot of meatheads and a lot of them are on drugs, i still go to the occasional night once a year or so, Cable was great but getting worse and that shut

with se1 gone a few years back people seem to segregate in the outskirts Fire (south) and Islington metal works (north), and when you go to those clubs, although they get old quickly, its the official entrance to the underground

lots of flyers etc hanging around there

Any of you know about the situation in Manchester? i have opted to force myself to leave London because it would be pathetic to stay my whole life, and so for three years im gunna dread it up in what used to madchester but seems to have gone off the rails too

^^ well said. I guess I've been unemployed for the past year and am going kind of stir-crazy being back in full time education with a bunch of kids. 

My experiences at Egg have been numerous and all have been shit, i'm not just saying that because im becoming a miserable fuck (which I obviously am) but its like a place to go at 430 AM when everywhere else is closed. Plus its in Kings Cross in the middle of fucking nowhere, so if you don't want to shell out for a cab and want to catch the first tube home you have a trek ahead of you. 

Oh, not to mention, i used to go out there a lot, but its a bit too snooty in a fashion-way out there, you might like it but its very like 'who are you wearing'/trustafarian students in Shoreditch. another gateway to underground,

I think however people seem to say the warehouse and squat scene has gotten worse but when i first started going 6 years ago they were sporadic and not supercharged, now some of them can be off the chain, much better these huge one off nights than going to same club everyweekend

its pretty pathetic but i turned 19 the other day and i'd like to say i know how you feel, although you probably won't sympathise :D

GENUINELY what i'd give to be 16 again, no cares no worries just chilling

Broken, drugs are everywhere like absolutely everywhere beyond mainstream clubbing culture, even a little there..

thats not new though is it?