RobbertJan

england :: london :: general

any recommended hostels? i'm looking at the generator and astor hostels but not sure which neighborhood is best for yucky lodging...

I've not stayed in it, but I walk past St Christopher's Hostel on Borough High Street all the time, and it looks good. It's in a relatively central location (a short bus ride to Spitalfields, Shoreditch, the West End, or Brick Lane), and it's across the street from Borough Market, so you get to eat decent food. It's also just down the street from The George, one of the most historic pubs in London. And you can walk to the Tate Modern from there in about 15 minutes along the river. Also nearby is a great street called Bermondsey Street, which has some good restaurants (including a brilliant new Italian called Zucca), another good pub (The Woolpack), the Fashion & Textile museum (not so great, in truth), and various other curious shops, including one that sells bespoke dog-collars (for dogs, not priests (or sub/dom types)).

I always feel a bit useless when people ask me for places to stay in London. I live here. I have an apartment, therefore I know nothing about the quality or price of available accommodation.

any recommended hostels? i'm looking at the generator and astor hostels but not sure which neighborhood is best for yucky lodging...

without knowing how nice the respective hostels are, or their prices, the Generator in Russell Sq is much better a location than the Astor places out west if you want to head north, east and southeast. you're also a walk or short bus ride from the heart of central London. if you want to head out west it might be a bit of a trek, but otherwise you're good.

i opted for the Oxford St. Youth Hostel...will be in London September 4th-9th

IslandChic01

hahahahahaaaaa

It's even funnier because I'm somewhat like that

wait, what

You guys are all bastards for living in London.

I want to live in London.

:(

Bit of a random and desperate one but I think anyone who's been in the same situation can appreciate what a bitch gumtree is.

I need a room, to rent, I'll live most places with decent transport, although pref North/East. Saying that, I happily lived in Camberwell for 3 years. Starting a new job second week of Oct so now getting pretty close!

Cheers

i just used gumtree to get a room in shithole neasden

the only thing that is consoling me is that it's cheap and there's a chinese girl i'm gonna be sharing internet with who lives upstairs, im gonna have to smash yagetme blad?

i'd say practically all the 20 people bar maybe 1-2 that came to view a spare room i had last year were freaks from gumtree. i don't want to be one of those.

Im in london. Under the table jobs... anyone know anything?

I feel like the service industry may be the best bet, restaurants and the like, but I'm not opposed to manual labor too (who am I kidding though, this is sufu, anyone who reads this is probably built like a 12 year old girl).

Also, what is there to do here that doesn't cost (much) money?

All the major museums in London are free. The Barbican often seems to have free music in the foyer area (although it's hit and miss as to whose taste it's aimed at). The Prince Charles cinema, just off Leicester Square, is pretty much the cheapest place to see films. And if you want free food, go to Borough Market on Thurs/Fri/Sat and work your way round all the stalls tasting the samples. The traders hate people who do this, but there's not much they can do about it. Pick up a copy of Time Out (forgive me if this is screamingly obvious) for listings of all the many free things going on. And buy your groceries at Lidl or Aldi...

Bit of a random and desperate one but I think anyone who's been in the same situation can appreciate what a bitch gumtree is.

I need a room, to rent, I'll live most places with decent transport, although pref North/East. Saying that, I happily lived in Camberwell for 3 years. Starting a new job second week of Oct so now getting pretty close!

Cheers

uk.easyroomate.com

spareroom.co.uk

These are worth a look, seems higher volume accoms than gumtree.

anything good in london on friday? I'm spending a couple of days over there.

is exactly why one is well advised to stay away

to prevent communicable diseases from spreading, high blood pressure, &c.

Another reason the BoJo bikes are a blunder. Sure, it's great fun watching all the suits who haven't touched a bike in years nervously wobble their way round through the traffics, but we needed a dawdling gawper /express outta my way lane system more.

to be fair it's not just the suits who are taking up the sport, round my end the barclays bike consumption levels are quite solid.

...but on the other hand they might all just have gotten nicked