england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

How his Bird(the restaurant)? Has anyone tried it?

This place is OK. Chooks in Muswell Hill is far better. But, if you are only visiting, probably a really long and obscure way to go for fried chicken. In Shoreditch, Jubo and Onthebab do the whole Korean fried chicken thing (imo Jubo > Onthebab), but if you are from big city USA you are probably over this already.

Edited by broken_dubz

This place is OK. Chooks in Muswell Hill is far better. But, if you are only visiting, probably a really long and obscure way to go for fried chicken. In Shoreditch, Jubo and Onthebab do the whole Korean fried chicken thing (imo Jubo > Onthebab), but if you are from big city USA you are probably over this already.

Oh man, Chooks looks great. But yeah, unless you live there, Muswell Hill is a pain in the arse to get to.

Speaking of obscure parts of London to eat in, Korean food in New Malden is great. Although nobody is really doing the fried thing.

Does anyone have any breakfast/brunch recommendations? Nothing too expensive. I'm staying near the Euston subway stop.

Riding House Cafe - Great Titchfield Street. Walkable from Euston

Kaffine on Great Titchfield Street is nice for coffee

If you're heading to the Tate Britain, check out Pimlico Fresh OR The Regency (classic old school English breakfasts. You might recognise it from a few films)

Caravan - Kings Cross. Walkable from Euston.

Foxlow - Clerkenwell. And +1 for Modern Pantry

Also, it's not a brunch place, but if you're staying by Euston then check out Roti King. It looks super grimy, but the roti canai is so nice.

• 4 weeks later...

To live in or to work? I would never live there in a million years, but for work, if you pricing is right and the commute not too painful, it could do although I can't say it feels like a very creative place. 

To live 

Im looking for a descent area of London to live and not spend 800p/m on a shithole. What zone/area are you recommending ? I found some nice stuff around Tooting, we'll be probably two moving in (my gf and I) so looking for a one bedroom) to work in central London

800 each or for the both of you? if you define central london as zone 1 and 2, you'll need an incredible amount of luck to find livable a 1br at under 250 pw (1,100 / month) or even 300 pw. perhaps around brixton or elephant and castles, but not the greatest of neighborhoods. 

To live 

Im looking for a descent area of London to live and not spend 800p/m on a shithole. What zone/area are you recommending ? I found some nice stuff around Tooting, we'll be probably two moving in (my gf and I) so looking for a one bedroom) to work in central London

Tooting is a great area. Lots of stuff going on, easy to get into central London, nice mix of proper Londoners and young people who have moved there in recent years. Loads of excellent curry houses, a craft ale brewery, Kiwi coffee house, loads of pubs, a few fancy-ish restaurants. If I was moving to London for the first time, I would definitely try Tooting.

I always rented in areas outside zone 1-2. Never saw the point in blowing all my cash paying someone else's mortgage and having no cash to go out. You'll have fun wherever you live to be honest.

800 each or for the both of you? if you define central london as zone 1 and 2, you'll need an incredible amount of luck to find livable a 1br at under 250 pw (1,100 / month) or even 300 pw. perhaps around brixton or elephant and castles, but not the greatest of neighborhoods. 

Brixton is crazy expensive now.

Also worth thinking about sharing a house with strangers. The more bedrooms, the more you'll save. The last place I rented (this was quite a few years ago now) was in Tottenham and 4 of us paid £1000 a month between us, so I was only paying £250 a month in rent. House wasn't great but we had some legendary parties in there.

Brixton is crazy expensive now.

Also worth thinking about sharing a house with strangers. The more bedrooms, the more you'll save. The last place I rented (this was quite a few years ago now) was in Tottenham and 4 of us paid £1000 a month between us, so I was only paying £250 a month in rent. House wasn't great but we had some legendary parties in there.

Is it that expensive now? I guess London gentrifies at a scary pace...

Sharing is definitely the way to go. London has an oversupply of large and very large apartments / houses so if you don't mind sharing, you can live in some awesome places for a fairly reasonable price. When I was in school, most of my classmates lived in really really nice 3-5br apartments (think 2,500 - 4,000 sq ft multi million £ places) in Marelybone / St-John's Wood and most were in the £750 - 900 range per bedroom (and i'd say at least 80% had ensuite bathroom). For comparison, studios in the same neighborhoods were generally in the £1,400 - 1,600 pcm range.

Tooting is a great area. Lots of stuff going on, easy to get into central London, nice mix of proper Londoners and young people who have moved there in recent years. Loads of excellent curry houses, a craft ale brewery, Kiwi coffee house, loads of pubs, a few fancy-ish restaurants. If I was moving to London for the first time, I would definitely try Tooting.

I always rented in areas outside zone 1-2. Never saw the point in blowing all my cash paying someone else's mortgage and having no cash to go out. You'll have fun wherever you live to be honest.

I found some great stuff in Wandsworth ... but I tried a simulation on city map to get to oxford circus ... one hour 4 changes yolo.

I found a nice one around Sehpherd's Bush but I guess its like a proper one off and as Im not planning to take it in the next weeks (probably in 3/4) I won't be able to find something like this) and I'm looking for a 1bedroom only, moving with my gf so we need a one bedroom flat at least.

I thought about Tottenham, how is it to get to central ? (oxford circus for example most of the head office im looking into are in a walking distance from this station)

Hey, im not crazy its per person, I'm more about looking into spending 600p each no more 500p would be the best choice. :P

But yeah London even Zone 2 ... is going crazy, zone 1 is horrible for young professionals and independent.

Edited by Mr.Sander

I found some great stuff in Wandsworth ... but I tried a simulation on city map to get to oxford circus ... one hour 4 changes yolo.

Oh man, ignore CityMapper. Whereabouts in Wandsworth? I bet there's a quicker route. That's only a 3-4 mile journey. I commute from Wimbledon into central London and it takes me 30 mins. 

I thought about Tottenham, how is it to get to central ? (oxford circus for example most of the head office im looking into are in a walking distance from this station)

Tottenham is still pretty grimy and there isnt much to do, but it is cheap and very well connected. Seven Sisters and Tottenham Hale stations go straight to Oxford Circus. There is also a train from Seven Sisters that goes to Liverpool Street. You can also get the 24 hour bus into Dalston and Shoreditch for nights out.

Wood Green and Turnpike Lane are also very cheap to rent in, and the tube goes to Piccadilly Circus which is a short walk to Oxford Circus.

Edited by TheIntelligentHoodwinker

Oh man, ignore CityMapper. Whereabouts in Wandsworth? I bet there's a quicker route. That's only a 3-4 mile journey. I commute from Wimbledon into central London and it takes me 30 mins.

St Ann's Hill (looks like its on Denton Street or something)? 

Yeah North London or East London I'm not keen lets be honest, I'm more about South West/West, just by experience walking by.

St Ann's Hill (looks like its on Denton Street or something)? 

Yeah North London or East London I'm not keen lets be honest, I'm more about South West/West, just by experience walking by.

I know it round there. It's nice. Some nice cafés and bars on Garratt Lane. I live near the south end of Garratt Lane where the greyhound stadium is. Theres a brewery opposite that I drink in sometimes.

You're right near Wandsworth Town station. You can go from there to Vauxhall and then change to the Victoria Line. But maybe consider cycling it?

And yes, it's very different to north east/east London, but that's what I like about London.

I know it round there. It's nice. Some nice cafés and bars on Garratt Lane. I live near the south end of Garratt Lane where the greyhound stadium is. Theres a brewery opposite that I drink in sometimes.

You're right near Wandsworth Town station. You can go from there to Vauxhall and then change to the Victoria Line. But maybe consider cycling it?

And yes, it's very different to north east/east London, but that's what I like about London.

Great to hear that it is a nice area, im not a party animal I need nice cafes and bars to enjoy my evening with my friends. I saw that we can directly go to Waterloo every 20/30 minutes so it is enough for me.

I'll try to visit it next week I need to email the agency ! But Wandsworth since a very nice place for your money / space you get !

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

except birmingham lol.

Anyone move to wandsworth, ignore the transport issues because tube is coming soon and 24 hr tube is also coming september.

Tube will be here in the next 18 months and wandsworth priceswill rocket!

I love Greenwich of the non-central areas to live but the transport bit of a myth.