england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

guys, i'm moving to London next week so i'll have to flat hunt pretty soon, i will be on a student budget and i am a little ashamed but i don't know much outside central london (and by that i mean mayfair and the surroundings...) so recommendation for cool neighbourhoods would be appreciated. I'm looking to be within a 20-30 min commute max from Baker street and hoping to keep rent under 250 pw. we'll probably hire an agent, but would be interested in knowing if it's worth the 1 month fee. i'll be moving with my dogs (boston terrier and dachshund) so that adds a complication as i've been told that a lot of landlord will accept pets, but on a case by case basis so that may be where the agent really helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beyond Retro have several shops (Soho, Brick Lane, Stoke Newington), big selection for basic things.

Pelicans & Parrots, stock some interesting items other than clothes.

Strut, Ada street Broadway Market, designer vintage.

Storm in a teacup, Kingsland rd. Designer vintage, bags, shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

Dope lets try get some more people on board. I'm out of town til 7th feb tho.

I'm applying for the mba there. It's a long shot cos its 3rd round and a late decision but somebody told me I might have a good chance as my background is in medicine and I have british citizenship.

What are the students like there?

Would be good to get some more info from somebody first hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Dope lets try get some more people on board. I'm out of town til 7th feb tho.

I'm applying for the mba there. It's a long shot cos its 3rd round and a late decision but somebody told me I might have a good chance as my background is in medicine and I have british citizenship.

What are the students like there?

Would be good to get some more info from somebody first hand.

sorry took me so long to reply

it's a very international student body, coming from all over the worlds. the community is pretty tight knit and it's a really fun atmosphere. the small class size is pretty great too cause you get to know a lot of other ppl. while there is a lot of international diversity, i can't say the same of background though, there a few ppl coming from "cool" stuff, about 1/3 comes from banking / finance and another 1/3 from consulting. i think there is one doctor in my class. for someone in your position, key to get in is to have great essays with a clear explanation of what an mba would do for your career as well as recommendations and strong gmat (being british actually isn't that much of an advantage as you can't get a free pass on the verbal and should aim for 720+). pm me if you have more question or want to discuss further.

this is probably the best way to describe the bschool experience btw, should have a read

http://www.vice.com/read/the-vice-guide-to-business-school

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You chose a good area to stay, although it has become quite cheesy over the past few years particularly. Unfortunately I am an old fuck who used to hang out in shoreditch over a decade ago, so I can't give you any good recommendations for drinking. I used to like Jaguar shoes and the Redchurch bar all those years ago though.

Good food at meat mission, or vietnamese, or there is a branch of brindisa tapas too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Did seem like a cool place, would have liked to stay a bit longer (although not necessarily just stay in Shoreditch).

Went to Fabric club, very different from the euro/mediterranean club scene but was pretty awesome nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Theatre; a sporting event, depending on when you're there and if you can get tickets in advance; museums, perhaps one of the lesser known ones; British library; more sightseeing (there's always more and different things to see and different ways to see them); street markets; explore the canals; clubbing; visit the parks; more drinking, of course; ride on a Boris bike; beat the world record for visiting all 270+ tube stations in a day; eat pie 'n' mash; run in the marathon...

Not sure what to suggest for Day 2 though...

It's a bike hire system. I've not personally used one but they're VERY popular and probably a great way to tour the city if you have good road sense.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15150.aspx

If the weather's as good as it is now, Take a stroll to the top of Primrose hill & watch the world go by, then wander down to the canal. Stroll along to little venice

Edited by Mr Black

I like to sit on the sun and watch the world go by.

Try a duck tour, although they have a questionable safety record of late in Liverpool.

Go on the Emirates cable car over the river between North Greenwich (by the O2/Dome) and Docklands.

Edited by Maynard Friedman