england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

Thanks dansta I am sort of moving in May... not sure yet for how long... if things don't work out I might only stay for a few months... but I'm hoping it would be at least for a couple of years... I was looking at hsbc the other day because that's what I'm using here but it seems you still have to pay monthly fees etc... might have another look I probably missed something... south and east London noted!

I have the regular HSBC Bank Account and there are no monthly fees. HSBC has a range of accounts, some with fees, some not.

Give us a shout when you arrive if you're keen for a sufu meet up!

re:banks. I opened an account with Barclays. Their basic everyday banking account hasn't got any service fees. I opted to pay 6.50 a month to have all my electronics and cards insured (along with a bunch of other enhanced services). Only issue is that you need a UK mailing adress before they'll let you open an account.

I've been here 8 months and I haven't even found a good expensive haircut.

Good Ol' Days at Broadway Market, near London Fields. Just around the corner from Lucky Chip actually.

Ask for an appointment with Anthony.

I've been seeing him for 2 years now after being recommended his services from this very forum.

Best grooming related decision I think I have ever made!

hey everyone

moving to london April 12th, got a job, super excited.

Question, Im from Niagara Falls Canada, just signed a new three year contract with rogers in november. Should i bring over my phone or sign up for a new contract over there? I have the tier 5 youth mobility visa so it is only good for two years... thoughts?

Also looking for places right now, kind of want to be in E1 shoreditch area.. anyone have any good websites to find a room? I've been on spareroom and easy roomate but havn't found anything great yet.. thanks in advance

photofinish: I moved from toronto in October on the youth mobility. i'd bring the physical phone (unlocked) but ditch the contract on a friend or family member or something. no phone company over here will even let you sign a contract for the first three months you're in the country so you'll be on pay as you go and a new decent phone won't be cheap. Try moveflat.co.uk for a place - the site seems to hold a much higher standard than everywhere else.

jeansnkicks thanks for that moveflat link! I'm still waiting for my youth mobility visa as well to be approved (sent the docs last week)... dansta I'd be up for a meet up... in all honesty I have no idea what the hell I'm doing... no real preparation let alone a job... just blindly going and hoping for the best or more likely just hoping to stay off the street as long as I can... driven by stupid romantic dreams of old London... I can already see this plan go horribly wrong somehow

I moved here last june and found my rental through gumtree. obviously you have to sort the wheat from the chaff on gumtree, though...

nothing wrong with being idealistic, lufc_girl... just remember, london will eat you alive if you're not careful. some sort of overall plan might be helpful!

jeansnkicks thanks a lot man appreciate the advice... as far as flats been in contact with a few people but they all want face to face interviews and wont do any skype.. starting to get frustrating to be honest.. ill check moveflat.co.uk though..

I came with no flat, no friends, no job, no real plan and it's all fallen into place quite nicely. You definitely do need to be careful and persistent though because London is not an easy city. Is there a certain type of work you could see yourself doing?

Add no talent to that list and you got me! Persistence that I have and I'm really not a fussy person and not idealistic either in term of job... anything that's legal, pays the bills and allow me to travel a bit... might be able to negotiate on the legal thing if desperate

I've finally been put in contact with my host family! I'll be leaving the 31st of March and am staying in North Harrow. Anyone from that area have anything to say about it?

Good Ol' Days at Broadway Market, near London Fields. Just around the corner from Lucky Chip actually. Ask for an appointment with Anthony. I've been seeing him for 2 years now after being recommended his services from this very forum. Best grooming related decision I think I have ever made!

Is that Anthony formerly of Vision? If so that was my recomendation right?

He's a sound guy.

Gotta say- you lot coming to London with no flat, no job, no contacts etc are pretty brave. I've lived here all my life so it's home to me and I know parts of it like the back of my hand, but to come here blind so to speak...

respect. And the best of luck.

North Harrow- nice enough area I guess. Bit dull. Will cost you a fortune to get home from the centre of town in a cab :P

Yeah, not excited for getting back from late nights in London. I was thinking I might even opt for a hostel on nights that get too late.

i'll be going to london not knowing a single person... so if anyone wants to meet up.. grab some beers i am down

Care to meet up sometime? I'll be in by April 1st so maybe I'll know a good spot by then.

Only been to catford a small handful of times and none of them were by choice. Am perfectly happy not to head back there.

YesI can vouch for catford being a shit hole.

Yep i can second that, if moving to London i would consider Stoke Newington. It has a village atmosphere and you can bike to liverpool street in about ten minutes. And if you like being seen then Dolston is just around the corner.

yep- or the Hackney/Broadway Market/London fields areas.

Very hipster-ish if that's what you like.

Yeah, not excited for getting back from late nights in London. I was thinking I might even opt for a hostel on nights that get too late.

Care to meet up sometime? I'll be in by April 1st so maybe I'll know a good spot by then.

Yeah of course.. I'm flying out of Toronto April 10th, will be in London the 11th

anybody can recommend a good mens hairdressers in London? Been getting jacked in C.Wharf at this amazingly shitty hairdressers who don't even make the smallest effort to look like they are giving a fuck. Don't want to go to Toni and Guys either. Preferably east but dont mind travelling a bit out if its worth it.

Yep i can second that, if moving to London i would consider Stoke Newington. It has a village atmosphere and you can bike to liverpool street in about ten minutes. And if you like being seen then Dolston is just around the corner.

Thanks! I'll have a look

Stokey is nice, and you have a Whole Foods, which should help offset the food shock you will experience coming from Melbourne... Transport links (rail, bus) aren't the best though IMO. Guess is depends on your mode of transport.

Edited by dansta

• 1 month later...

For probably the billionth time in this thread I'm making my first trip to London in a few weeks. I've been going through this thread but still don't know much about exactly what I'll do. I'll have a 4 night stay before I start a study abroad semester in France this summer and will be sleeping at a small, cheap hotel in Hammersmith. I imagine I'll check out DSM but not really sure what other stores to go to - maybe Selfridges, browns...any tips would be appreciated. That said I'm not there for shopping and imagine I'll enjoy some museums, parks, etc. (not hard to look these up, but any advice is welcome). I might try to meet up with some other people from my university who will be there but as of now I'm solo. Pointers on nightlife and (relatively inexpensive) places to eat would be appreciated. I'm 21 years old, from the US. I'll have essentially all day starting on the 17 of May and leaving in the extremely early morning on the 21st.

Edited by wurm

• 4 weeks later...