england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

Gonna keep the food theme going and ask: where oh where to find good Thai food in London? I've been having major withdrawal since I left Sydney and the few places I've tried here are mediocre (and they're the well-reviewed ones!). Point me in the direction of a good Panang curry and I'll be eternally grateful.

wow, it'll never cease to amaze me that there are people who are knowledgeable about bollywood, it's certainly impressive, though baffling as to why anyone would take any interest in such an bizarre film industry. IIRC it has the highest output of movies per year, and you'll maybe get 1 or 2 good ones ha.

I would say, pre 2000 you have a much higher chance of finding good films (parallel cinema is great), pre 80s and you have a high chance of finding excellent films.

but now? oh my.. I don't know what happened. Indian cinema is fantastic when it comes to social realism, but it had been all but forgotten up til now with this escapist nonsense.

BUT, there is a new movement for more realistic fare, perhaps spurred on by Slumdog's success (which India was characteristically very quick to cling to after it won the 8 oscars, having rejected it before for depicting the underclass).

I'm chating out of my arse mostly, haven't paid attention in years. I watched Kaminey in a few years ago, that was pretty good relatively speaking..

Going to St John in a couple of weeks. Someone give me a brief idea of what dishes I should be ordering? Also Hinds head recommendations are welcome

If they have it at the time of your booking, order the hake with chips and aioli. . The grouse was good too the last time I went. The menu changes so frequently though only a few dishes are mainstays.

Bone marrow salad I thought was overrated. Nothing wrong with it but I rather have something more substantial as a starter. I've eaten way too much tafelspitz

I'll probably hit some dosa and carrot juice on monday or Tuesday. They don't have films on at lunchtime anymore.

Also in Tooting check out lahore karai. I know syb is a vege/vegan but tweeds might want to sample their kebab rolls, masala fish and karahi gosht. Their naan breads are the best around for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I did indeed go to Su La. We always used to go to Palace and then earlier in the summer, the proprietor Mr Choi (my honorary Korean dad) told us he was moving on to own a new place. Last week we had to track him down on New Malden high street by asking around outside Palace until these hard looking K-thugs pointed us in the right direction, haha. Great to see him again in Su La although it was hard making the adjustment to the new restaurant. I friggin' loved Palace but Su La is also great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tooting. Dosa n' chutny and Apollo banana leaf are both very good.

Dosa n' Chutney is great. So tasty, so filling, so cheap and all in a chromed-out environment with blaring Bollywood DVDs on the flatscreen.

Both Sybaritical & I would like to send regards to fre$co (did v5.0 kill your dolla sign?) and SM. We wandered down and ate ourselves silly. Their idli especially. Was ridiculous how quick we finished it.

Edited by tweeds

i made a thread in superpersonal, just because some other guys posted other cities

anyways, found this gem via reddit:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6cb_1321141514

Colour footage of London from the 50s - looks like Kensington highstreet. Look so good, then the foreigners came along :o:rolleyes:

bollocks, emdedding options are even more limited now, amazing.

Edited by Magnetic

Wow, check Boots at 1:35. If this is early 50s as suggested on the video then it would be around the time of Pharma Society of Britain v Boots Chemists, when the basic legal basis for today's self-service shopping came about.

On that archival note, this one is a favourite:

So much advertising, so much Nestle(!), and the traffic at the massive Bank junction is pretty epic.

Edited by tweeds

• 3 weeks later...

Both Sybaritical & I would like to send regards to fre$co (did v5.0 kill your dolla sign?) and SM. We wandered down and ate ourselves silly. Their idli especially. Was ridiculous how quick we finished it.

You're welcome!

I was there too just the other day. My new favorite dish is channa masala with poori.

scnGM.jpg

we are so, so fucked

+

also, i just want to share feelings of disgust with myself. I had to venture into oxford street again (was looking for something, didn't get it anyway fml) and i came across a lucky heather seller. i've literally never heard of them until yesterday and this brazen witch just practically launched into me. me having no idea wtf it was about, thought it was some kind of charity and she got a pound fify from me. SHE WAS ASKING FOR NOTES (which i did have but come the fuck on)

the funny thing is that i was saving the last week's episode of phoneshop (watch it if you don't - funniest thing on tv) and it was about this very subject. I could've spent that fucking money on a 5 packs of noodles ffs.

Edited by Magnetic