england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

Does anyone here swim? I've just moved to London from Sydney and am looking for a regular pool. So far I've tried London Fields Lido and Market Sports in Shoreditch, but I'm keen to check out some others. I swim every day and am willing to travel for good facilities (large, clean, pref. chlorine-free). Thanks.

Bang in the middle of town, the refurbished Marshall Street baths:

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/leisureandculture/active/marshallstreet/

There's also Oasis, on the corner of Endell Street. Great swimming there in the warm outdoor rooftop pool with the rain falling all around you (this is London...). I haven't been there in a while, but it used to be a good place.

• 2 weeks later...

Ecozone eco balls (seriously...) will wash stuff without bleaching dark colours. If it's delicate fabric you're worried about though, they're not so ideal (clunky plastic balls banging around in your drum...). Dr Bronners is available in quite a few places; if you're in Soho, Whole Foods on Brewer Street still stocks it, I think.

^ Thanks for the suggestions.

95% of my wardrobe is black, so finding something that won't bleach my clothes is the top priority.

Black wash brands are so readily available in Australia and the US... I'm surprised they're not in the UK, too. Also, everyone washes with hot water here! And tumble dries! People seem resigned to the fact that their clothes will fade/shrink...

Checked Whole Foods: no Dr Bronners.

I've checked a few Tescos and Sainsburys, too, and haven't found Woolite Dark yet. But I called the manufacturer and apparently it is still being distributed in the UK.

No sign of the Ecozone balls, either! This is proving harder than I thought...

• 3 weeks later...

The job market for fresh graduates in the UK is very tough at the moment, with high unemployment amongst that demographic. London is better than the rest of the country but will be fiercely competitive for the good jobs. Your best bet would be to either seek work with a US firm that could post you to London for a stint or pursue postgraduate education at a London university, I would imagine. Good luck - it's a great city to live in.