england :: london :: general

RobbertJan

• 3 weeks later...

I've not stayed in it, but I walk past St Christopher's Hostel on Borough High Street all the time, and it looks good. It's in a relatively central location (a short bus ride to Spitalfields, Shoreditch, the West End, or Brick Lane), and it's across the street from Borough Market, so you get to eat decent food. It's also just down the street from The George, one of the most historic pubs in London. And you can walk to the Tate Modern from there in about 15 minutes along the river. Also nearby is a great street called Bermondsey Street, which has some good restaurants (including a brilliant new Italian called Zucca), another good pub (The Woolpack), the Fashion & Textile museum (not so great, in truth), and various other curious shops, including one that sells bespoke dog-collars (for dogs, not priests (or sub/dom types)).

any recommended hostels? i'm looking at the generator and astor hostels but not sure which neighborhood is best for yucky lodging...

without knowing how nice the respective hostels are, or their prices, the Generator in Russell Sq is much better a location than the Astor places out west if you want to head north, east and southeast. you're also a walk or short bus ride from the heart of central London. if you want to head out west it might be a bit of a trek, but otherwise you're good.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bit of a random and desperate one but I think anyone who's been in the same situation can appreciate what a bitch gumtree is.

I need a room, to rent, I'll live most places with decent transport, although pref North/East. Saying that, I happily lived in Camberwell for 3 years. Starting a new job second week of Oct so now getting pretty close!

Cheers

Im in london. Under the table jobs... anyone know anything?

I feel like the service industry may be the best bet, restaurants and the like, but I'm not opposed to manual labor too (who am I kidding though, this is sufu, anyone who reads this is probably built like a 12 year old girl).

Also, what is there to do here that doesn't cost (much) money?

All the major museums in London are free. The Barbican often seems to have free music in the foyer area (although it's hit and miss as to whose taste it's aimed at). The Prince Charles cinema, just off Leicester Square, is pretty much the cheapest place to see films. And if you want free food, go to Borough Market on Thurs/Fri/Sat and work your way round all the stalls tasting the samples. The traders hate people who do this, but there's not much they can do about it. Pick up a copy of Time Out (forgive me if this is screamingly obvious) for listings of all the many free things going on. And buy your groceries at Lidl or Aldi...

Bit of a random and desperate one but I think anyone who's been in the same situation can appreciate what a bitch gumtree is.

I need a room, to rent, I'll live most places with decent transport, although pref North/East. Saying that, I happily lived in Camberwell for 3 years. Starting a new job second week of Oct so now getting pretty close!

Cheers

uk.easyroomate.com

spareroom.co.uk

These are worth a look, seems higher volume accoms than gumtree.

• 3 weeks later...