"STREETWEAR"

Streetwear is what urban hipsters call their overpriced clothing and thriftstore finds. It's about using a better understanding of positional clothing goods and some $$$ to distinguish yourself from what you think as the masses and join an elite club of people in the know. It's always evolving because what is "cool" is a vague and always elusive concept.

I think 'streetwear' goes much deeper than just clothing. 'Streetwear' embodies a person's lifestyle (music, hobbies, political views, etc...). I don't think 'Streetwear' was ever about the clothing but more about being an individual among the sea of cookie-cutter, mainstream sheeps. It was about wearing clothing that embodied who you are; clothing that contained meaning and gave you more satisfaction than just looking good.

'Streetwear' is also only completely understood by a small portion of society. For example, if you see someone wearing Supreme or Bape, you (anyone on this board) have a good idea what kind of 'stuff' they are into. Or if you see someone with selvage denim, they probably know about the same 'stuff' as the kid wearing Bape. But, people not into 'streetwear' might think the Bape design is cool or the selvage jeans look good, but they won't understand what it really stands for.

In the end, 'Streetwear' is misleading to us (Superfuture heads). I feel people not into this 'scene' would define 'streetwear' as baggy jeans, hoodies, etc. But mention 'streetwear' to a SF head, and a completely different world of clothing/lifestyle/views comes to mind.

I'm so self-conscious...

street wear to me is something different....it is ever changing, ever evolving from one thing to another...street wear is an attitude, a lifestyle....I find streetwear to be something very different then almost all types of fashion or style....it remains true to itself and so do those involved in its ever rotating theme....it is an enigma in which pop culture tries to grasp...but in reality they will never understand it because they will never see it for what it is....always changing.....

sorry if this response is all over the place...but im am not of sound mind at this current state and time

I think the term streetwear is really just an industry term to describe a metropolitan way of thinking reflected in a way of dressing. The fashion industry uses the term to define a style between sportswear and urbanwear created by converging cultures. It allows industry folks to be able to generate revenue from something that is otherwise intangible because it's based very much on individual style and location.

Afrique C'est Chic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As far as the fashion industry goes, isn't streetwear more or less what types of trends are going on with normal consumers, as opposed to so-called "runway" fashion (which is often coture, or custom made i.e. not meant for mass production)? My gf, who's a textiles and apparel major (and pretty much the reason why I frequent this board :P) explained to me once the complex relationship between runway fashion and streetwear. It's sometimes hard to tell who's getting inspiration from whom. I know that back in the early 20th century, it was mostly the big fahsion houses (Chanel, etc.) that dictated what was stylish and what wasn't... but that's quickly changing. Now it's not uncommon for a so-called luxury brand, like gucci or versace, to be getting inspiration from subcultures (i.e. Punk, most recently) and putting it out on the runway...

Interesting stuff, no?

Quote:

SO WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS ARTICLE??

--- Original message by Selegna on Sep 28, 2005 01:30 PM

i think it materialized into a 'top 20' list the hundreds did for the beautiful/decay mag that was distributed at AGENDA a few weeks ago....the intro paragraph touched loosely on 'the roots' of streetwear, and then listed their picks for the top twenty....

im a big fan of the hundreds commentary, but felt this article was too safe....for the most part, it had the big names everyones heard with a little bio underneath....i mean, its no secret whos on top, whos reaching their peak, and whos sliding down the other side....

but to be honest, im more interested in how streetwear is gonna evolve - the analysis of what keeps this dynamic style inspired and who or what will steer it different directions....gimme some 11 o'clock street reporter shit exploring what makes up the guts of streetwear....the good the bad and the ugly....

still have heaps of respect for the hundreds though....