ITT: Draw what you're wearing today

GiZMO

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

how i dressed:

how i would have dressed if i was ballin hard:

If anyone has some good links for how to draw clothes that'd be much appreciated 

naoki watanabe's book is goat for fashion illustration. she has a lot of sections on how fabric drapes and moves and how you would demonstrate differences in cutting and fitting.

http://craftside.typepad.com/.a/6a00e55007f593883401157020bee1970c-pi

other fashion illustration books be all like, "this is a flounce draw it you piece of shit"

Edited by madame twerq

naoki watanabe's book is goat for fashion illustration. she has a lot of sections on how fabric drapes and moves and how you would demonstrate differences in cutting and fitting.

other fashion illustration books be all like, "this is a flounce draw it you piece of shit"

I feel like latter approach really is the best when you're establishing a repertoire of fabric visualizations.  Learning how the fabric moves and falls is something to consider moreso after you've learned to draw it by copying rather than a foundational idea.  This kind of holds true esp when considering different materials (structured vs draped), finishes, and textures.  For example, leather's creases can be much softer and rounder than denim, shiny vs. matte textures, etc.

Although I haven't read the book before, so I can't say for sure.

Here's what I would wear if I was balling (still have lots 2 learn about fabric variations as well)

tumblr_mjfsniMeRs1qb6n6eo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Nebulae

it's totally useless to just copy a technique for a specific flounce without being told why a flounce does its thing. I can't find a picture of it and don't actually have a copy to photograph but, for example, she includes a section on throwing a huge square of fabric over the body and what happens as you start to cut it into a circle, or cut sleeves into it, or turn those sleeves from a cut on to a set in, etc....

it's the closest i've seen a fashion illustration book come to academic drawing, and it has more information about the theory of garment construction than any dedicated drawing book i've seen.

it's totally useless to just copy a technique for a specific flounce without being told why a flounce does its thing. I can't find a picture of it and don't actually have a copy to photograph but, for example, she includes a section on throwing a huge square of fabric over the body and what happens as you start to cut it into a circle, or cut sleeves into it, or turn those sleeves from a cut on to a set in, etc....

it's the closest i've seen a fashion illustration book come to academic drawing, and it has more information about the theory of garment construction than any dedicated drawing book i've seen.

yeah I understand that it's necessary to understand the phenomena behind the shapes but don't u think people would be better off if they started out learning how to render different things and then applied this technical skill to the conceptual understanding?  I also think that just copying things conscientiously, you'll begin to discover patterns in representation i.e. what makes a thin fabric look thin, how to make a fabric look 'knit' or subtly patterned, etc. 

Similar case to the 'skeleton' setups, no?  I could draw stick figures in cool poses all day but in the end I had to know how to render muscles to make the drawing complete.  Meat on the bones, etc., and I only learned this through looking and copying.  Didn't have time or patience to do da vinci dissections and actually understand human musculature strand-by-strand when I was in middle school lol.

I guess this discussion is actually kinda useless coz in the end you have to know both to be really good.

well, we aren't rendering fabric at the yarn or fiber level. i'm really a firm believer of delving right into academic theory and its application immediately and letting the kids who can't hang drop and go take a business program like the filth that they are. the kids who are here to learn can and will do their pet projects on their own time.

Edited by madame twerq

much appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel like latter approach really is the best when you're establishing a repertoire of fabric visualizations.  Learning how the fabric moves and falls is something to consider moreso after you've learned to draw it by copying rather than a foundational idea.  This kind of holds true esp when considering different materials (structured vs draped), finishes, and textures.  For example, leather's creases can be much softer and rounder than denim, shiny vs. matte textures, etc.

Although I haven't read the book before, so I can't say for sure.

Here's what I would wear if I was balling (still have lots 2 learn about fabric variations as well)

tumblr_mjfsniMeRs1qb6n6eo1_1280.jpg

Meetin with the fuckin' peaky blinders ay mate? Rly well done though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...