Snow Gear - Ski, Snowboard, Alpine

Brienneoftarth

Guest UNKLE21

Neversummer make some sick decks. I rode the Legacy 163 last year, and it was probably the best freeride board i have ever ridden aside from the Nitro darkhorse(which is the board i just picked up). It does have a 3 year warranty, and it has p-tex side walls so its ultra easy if you ever get a crack or break on the sidewall. Also they have nice progressive sidecuts, and they are all made in the USA. not to mention there wide range, and the consistent performance on all of their boards. If you have the money to drop get a nitro darkhorse for an all around free ride, , it is the lightest board i have ever ridden, you get no chatter, and it has a very large effective edge, sick pop, and more tech that makes you feel like youre flying. if your looking for freestyle get a nitro supra team. But if you want a good board then Never summer over everything else

JEANS...mmm mmm good

• 1 year later...

The Holden thread got some attention, so I figured we could probably use a full thread on snowboard outerwear and other gear.

I've seen just about everything coming out and I'd say that Holden and Airblster (myairblaster.com - watch out for Sasquatch) are pretty much killing it in the steeze dept. Cappel is also doing some interesting stuff, but I actually prefer a lot of what Ride puts out.

I'll probably be running full Holden this season, my Cappel puffy on the cold days.

Also running Simon's new Step Child board - 156, Missions, 32 boots. Always Smith gogs.

I got a Sepia Jacket from last year for 50% off as well as some bonfire pants. Nothin new is really jumping out at me, but i definetly am prefering solid colours instead of the endless stupid prints. For a board im waiting on a Lib 156 Skate banana, 06 burton C02's, and sabbath boots, anyone got riding pics?

I got Arcteryx Scorpion late last season. I used it when I went to Mammoth and it seemed alright. Technically speaking the material and fabrics is there, but I need more pockets. What I did like is that the jacket is light as fuck, and really protects against the elements. Since I am in socal I will proably just wear a tee when I board. I also managed to pick up a 3L Burton during the lull For $125 I cannot complain. It looks good, and should work well for the winter.

Prior to grabbing these two jackets I just rocked a TNF Denaili and this old ass Timberland jacket when it was cold, and a hoody when it wasn't.

As for pants my old ass Ronin's are still good, and I got some Oakley's my friend for me for Christmas last year. Does Oakley make good gear? I was pretty impressed. Seam sealed up the wazzoo, and the zippers were seam sealed, too.

The set-up: Burton Inspiration 157 (Japan equivilent to the Custom), Cartels, and some 32s. Oakley crowbars for gogs, but looking for new ones. Are Smiths that good, Gnar? I hear a lot of people who swear by them.

I picked up a Palmer Classic at 166, and a GNU street at 155 in the off season. Both boards were $99 shipped, and may be resold to purchase either a Capita or Lib Tech.

Looking to sale a 161 Burton Charger with Ride EX bindings at some point.

Can't wait for the snow!!!!!!!

I've been waiting for this thread..

I'm pretty much fully prepared this year, riding primary this year.

Primary:

Burton Custom-X 155

Burton Jacket of the Gods

Burton Assymetrical Cargos

Burton Idiom Boots

Burton Idiom Gloves

Flow Team Bindings

North Face Thermals

Spy-Optic Goggles

Secondary:

K2 Satellite 155

Burton White Collection

Burton Zip Cargos

Ride LX Bindings

Ride 06/07 Boots

Grenade Pipe Gloves

UVEX Goggles

I originally wanted an Idiom or Acronym jacket. The material Burton uses for their jackets are way too heavy.

This is what I use.

183 cm Volkl Gotama

look p12 bindings

dalbello krypton boots

marmot jacket

old patagonia pants

giro helmet

marmot mittens

I stick with the well-known companies (marmot, tnf, patagonia, mhw, arctryx) because I'm cheap, and they all have good warranties. if anything breaks, you can get a replacement no questions asked.

Honestly your gear pretty much doesnt matter. I ride on shit stuff.

I wear thermal underwear, fleece, and old ass burton ronin pants/jacket. I patched the pants myself. My gloves are by burton and they let too much water through, so I'm considering new ones. I have to wipe my glasses about once an hour otherwise I can't see shit.

My board is a crappy F2 and I've filled cuts with molten wax many times. My burton bindings literally broke during the last day of the season last year, so I'll be needing replacements there. They were probably the most expensive single piece of gear I owned.

My boots are by Stuf which I think is a generic Chinese brand.

Honestly your gear pretty much doesnt matter. I ride on shit stuff.

That depends on HOW you ride. I can guarantee that I would snap that board and break both my ankles in one day riding your setup. I ride super stiff boots, and at least 2 boards a season.

But you're right, if you're out there going for it, having fun, then your gear doesn't matter at all.

I hate snowboarding gear. Nothing like standing in the lift line ice grilling everyone in your matching techno-frabric getup.

Fuck that shit.

I love to snowboard...

But I think I actually hate "snowboarding".

It's no different then getting vibed at a skate park, or grilled walking into some avant-garde downtown boutique. You get that anywhere. Bringing your iPoop to get fixed into the Apple store or your ten speed to a bike shop.

There are some who let it get to them, and some who don't give a fuck.

Snowboarding is funny, everyone out there is already self-conscious because they aren't as cool as skateboarders, so they overcompensate.

i got some NORTHFACE X GORTEX gloves at the end of last season, never had a chance to wear them...

i think i got them 50% off or something, supposedly my hadns will actually be warm

my burton gloves were horrible

my snowboarding clothing is so bad, but whatever, i have some matching burton top and bottom, sometimes i rock an NY giants beanie

That depends on HOW you ride. I can guarantee that I would snap that board and break both my ankles in one day riding your setup. I ride super stiff boots, and at least 2 boards a season.

But you're right, if you're out there going for it, having fun, then your gear doesn't matter at all.

Of course good boots are essential.

But everything else I doubt. I would say that I put my equipment under quite some stress. I hardly ride on slopes (i pretty much just use them to get to the unprepared parts of the mountain) and I do a fair bit of jumping. I'm not that great to be honest, but on a good day I can pull off the occasional 360 with a grab. I've used the same board for two seasons now, and I'll probably replace it about halfway into this season.

But seriously, people who are intermediate at best getting a hardon for some $1000 jacket that uses some new technofiber is a joke.

Of course good boots are essential.

But everything else I doubt. I would say that I put my equipment under quite some stress. I hardly ride on slopes (i pretty much just use them to get to the unprepared parts of the mountain) and I do a fair bit of jumping. I'm not that great to be honest, but on a good day I can pull off the occasional 360 with a grab. I've used the same board for two seasons now, and I'll probably replace it about halfway into this season.

But seriously, people who are intermediate at best getting a hardon for some $1000 jacket that uses some new technofiber is a joke.

Keep shredding, bro!

This is from 4 years ago...my first time ever taking a kicker onto something else. Note my angle as I approach and the end result:

snowboard.jpg

snowboard2.jpg

My friend Kaleb. God knows what he's wearing, as he used to ride pro, so all of his shit is comped. I know he was riding a comped Nidecker Platinum that year and I was blessed to take the Arbor A-Frame.

kaleb.jpg

If anyone can ID this mountain/area, you win a cookie!

sevenmilerun.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey,

Like alot of you, I'm an ex-skateboarder (stopped ~4yrs ago after a solid decade) and I'm going snowboarding for the first time soon. I previously disliked the idea and snowboarder culture in general but Ive apparently matured so...I need to buy some gear quick (as in the next week). Any recs? I have no idea how to go about this but I assume - pair of wool long-johns + fleece + jacket + pants + goggles + beanie would cut it and I can rent the boots and board? (have a ticket to colorado)

I greatly appreciate your recs...and links to low pretense, fit-for-a-newbie items would be awesome, must be something out there on sale at this time of year.

i went snowboarding last night and this morning. my gear sucks, but it keeps me warm. oddly enough, none of it from snowboard companies. i think the key to staying warm is having proper base layers.

(polyester > cotton, mostly because polyester can handle moisture better, whereas cotton does not retain warmth when wet)

columbia bugaboo jacket

obermayer ski pants

old rossignol snowboarding boots

a scarf

scott goggles

wool socks

i used to have some badass swany gloves, but this appear to be misplaced somewhere

my board (r.i.p)

nitro titan 162 w/ technine mfm pro bindings-- saw it's last ride this morning. the tail laminate is peeling and the back toe-side edge is coming completely undone. luckily my buddy is going to sell me a unity origin 155 with rome bindings for $250. it's a bit smaller, but i'm probably going to by another 158/159 at the end of this season.