Snow Gear - Ski, Snowboard, Alpine

Brienneoftarth

new setup this year!

09 Custom V rocker (can't get over how much fun riding rocker is)

09 EST Cartels

09 Ozones

09 Burton AK stagger jkt

09 Ak stagger pants

and a ton of other shit.

following herpsky on the Bboy fan club since I get the hook up from them.

i've ridden lot's of no name and low end boards till last season. i would ike to buy a board that will last me at least 4-5 seasons. considering the fact that i will be snowboarding (maybe) 2 weeks each season.

so yeah i do a lot of freeriding and some park stuff. i'm very experienced (12 seasons) if that's an issue. but i basically have no idea about gear...

There's so much board tech that has come out in the last couple years. It's really hard to differentiate and narrow things down anymore, and it's not all gimmicky like tech has been in the past, there are REAL differences. Go try some of the new stuff if you can.

If you can't, just don't fret over things and stick with something that has been trusted for a while. You don't want to waste any lift tickets adjusting to a new way of riding just because you got caught up in the new tech.

Since you're only riding 2weeks a year and you're riding variable terrain, I'd recommend getting something as "all-around" as possible. Soft board=bad idea for freeriding. The industry words for this are "quiver killer" or "one board quiver."

More boards for you to check out:

New Rocker Tech:

- Arbor Draft

- Prior AMF Rocker

- Never Summer SL-R

- Venture Helix

Old School Tech:

- Capita QK

- Stepchild Pow Sucks

- Rome Agent

hope all that helps

There's so much board tech that has come out in the last couple years. It's really hard to differentiate and narrow things down anymore, and it's not all gimmicky like tech has been in the past, there are REAL differences. Go try some of the new stuff if you can.

If you can't, just don't fret over things and stick with something that has been trusted for a while. You don't want to waste any lift tickets adjusting to a new way of riding just because you got caught up in the new tech.

Since you're only riding 2weeks a year and you're riding variable terrain, I'd recommend getting something as "all-around" as possible. Soft board=bad idea for freeriding. The industry words for this are "quiver killer" or "one board quiver."

More boards for you to check out:

New Rocker Tech:

- Arbor Draft

- Prior AMF Rocker

- Never Summer SL-R

- Venture Helix

Old School Tech:

- Capita QK

- Stepchild Pow Sucks

- Rome Agent

hope all that helps

thanks for the suggestions, i have very good board control though and i'm not in the least disturbed by quivering. i have that a lot already because i ride really fast with a more freestyle oriented board for the last couple of seasons.

what about the burton custom for example? i heard that burton has it's own binding screw on system that makes it impossible for other bindings to attach? or is that just a weird rumor i heard.

thanks for the suggestions, i have very good board control though and i'm not in the least disturbed by quivering. i have that a lot already because i ride really fast with a more freestyle oriented board for the last couple of seasons.

what about the burton custom for example? i heard that burton has it's own binding screw on system that makes it impossible for other bindings to attach? or is that just a weird rumor i heard.

By "quiver" they mean "collection of various snowboards," like a quiver of arrows, by the way, not the "chatter" I think you interpreted this as.

The burton custom is the mother of all "all-around" boards. I have not been on one since probably 02-03, but they ride nicely. Just a good balance between everything. It's a common pro-shop rental board. It's a safe choice. You can get better design/warranty/uniqueness/tech for the same price though.

Yeah Burton has this binding system called EST that only works with Burton bindings. Instead of the 4-hole baseplate system (and burton never did that either, they did a 3-hole triangle for a long time which was stupid), they have an adjustable rail that you fit the binders into. Gives you more adjustability and supposedly better latitudinal control. Whatever. I've always considered it a gimmick to get you to buy an all-burton setup. But I think burton sells non-EST customs too.

Being a cynic at heart, i too had my doubts about the EST system.

I still ride my usual stance all the time but the EST has enormous control in fine tuning the board cause everything unlocks with four screws.I can see that it's the way forward but the costs are heavy especially if you still have a good peir of bindings on an older board.

But if you got the cash and like to get the bard just right i'd say go for it

ok thanks for the insight it's just that the majority of all the boards you recommended aren't available in germany (or at least ebay) so i think i might opt for the burton

ohhh, didn't see that you were from Germany.

Check out Drake/Northwave and Nidecker boards too then, they are italian and swiss board manufacturers that might be easier to get over there, they have been around for ages, very mature companies with really solid offerings.

I don't keep up with their freestyle shit but Nidecker has a top-notch alpine board I've always wanted to demo.

Drake boards have Structurn bases I think, it's basically like a golf ball concept: aerodynamic rules apply with snow/fluids too. My arbor board has it. it's really nice, especially for slush or scraped terrain (parks for sure) because you can be quicker edge-to-edge since there isn't as much suction. I've noticed the difference, at least.

Alright i'll shut up now. I'm so excited for the snowboard season. Opening day is in one month for my mtn. ahhh

• 4 weeks later...

My setup for this year:

4112464160_d530642915.jpg

4111697903_20beef89e2.jpg

Lib Tech Box Scratcher Banana "Burtner" 151

Flux "Distortion" urethane bindings - made sure I got the Unicorn dancer colorway.

I need new boots this year, I've been wearing the same Burton Sabbaths for 3 years and they are falling apart. Any experience with Vans air-standards? Leaning towards a pair of those.

O yah and I usually have a Holden Wallace jacket and their Standard pants to cover my body.

damn i've been wanting to get flux bindings, heard good things bout them but just can't decide which one to get

Highly recommend it man, same one piece base construction like Burton with quick response and super comfortable.

I've had the Titan RKs, Super Titans, and just recently those Distortions posted above. While I've only ridden the Distortions once and thought they were fucking amazing my favorites are still the Titan RK. Nice lateral flex for the park with sturdy highback support for freeriding.

• 3 years later...

Trying to find some decent clothing for alpine skiing.

Brands considered so far are Arc´teryx (non veilance), Patagonia, Norröna and more. I want something more than a one-layer but not heavy inusulated pants/jacket.

All the GoreTex, eVent and similar techy jackets and pants are wide and boxy even in size small. I am even considering womens stuff for better fits but there has to be something else out there???

Advice?

Thanks!

My favorite is Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line. Quality wise, it's right up there with Arc'teryx (I use both). Don't be scared off because it's made by Eddie Bauer, which in itself isn't the highest quality. It's made for and by mountain guides - lots of the top alpine climbers in the US use it. Plus, Eddie Bauer goes on sale constantly and most of the time it includes First Ascent.

Lots of slim fit stuff made for layering.

Thanks! I am in Europe but will check Eddie Bauer, hopefullt eBay or so have some!

There's usually lots on eBay. I missed that you're in Europe. Try Fjallraven, Jack Wolfskin, Rab or Montbell? I think Montbell is Japanese, but they should be readily available there.

Edited by brooks_