canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

the korean/japanese grocery store mentionned here located on stcatherine is great. i work in the same building (typing this from 3 floors above it lol) and often go down there to get funky canned drinks with labels i cant read! there seems to be quite a good selection of noodles too. also, shrimp chips which i have yet to try

yo i wanna go to montreal so i can see the second largest french population or some shit in the world...

- can i survive knowing ZERO french?

- in montreal, will i be accepted for being SUPERgay?

- can i stay at someone's house for free? (i can do dishes and clean your rooms)

- will i get lost?

- will i survive with virtually ZERO dollars?

- do french canadians like korean people?

Goodfoot has the coolest sneaker displays ever.. very functional and clean looking at the same time.

Justice will be back in oct (19), Boys noize are playing tonight, there are always good shows...

You can withdraw money from any canadian atm (call your bank to confirm) or any european one from that matter...so just bring like 100-200 Can in cash (go to exchange office or your bank).

ahaaha you picked a shitttttttttttttttttty time to come. i guess for a breif period yesturday the CAD dollar was actually equal to the USD....for the first time in like 30 years or some shit if i remember right.

• 9 months later...

bumping this

i'm heading up to montreal in 10 days for the long weekend. anyone can point me in the right direction as to where i can eat good, moderately priced food and get some alcoholic beverages at night.

also, what sights are worth seeing there?

bumping this

i'm heading up to montreal in 10 days for the long weekend. anyone can point me in the right direction as to where i can eat good, moderately priced food and get some alcoholic beverages at night.

also, what sights are worth seeing there?

the jazz festival will be going on so i definetly recommend that. about food, if you are looking for good food for good price, we have a bunch of bring your own wine restaurants which are always good for the wallet, duluth street has the highest concentration. other than that, there's litteraly a millions restaurants, give a price range and an idea of what you are looking for (both in terms of food and ambiance/crowd) an will provide more choice.

st-laurent street has the most bar, some good, many alright and and awful lot of places that sucks...

there's also a few good places in old montreal. avoid crescent street AT ALL COST.

go to that goth ninja store in ye olde montreal and copp rafe zimonz.

copp ann d. at u&i

eat poutine and drink boreal

Don't forget Schwartz's for some smoked meat sandwiches. One of the main reasons to go there.

dont get the "diet" sandwich.

go for the fatty one.

thank you for the suggestions. i'm gonna be up there on thursday. my friend got a dj gig while we're up there. anyone ever hear of guilty pleasures party? i'm hoping it isn't a montreal version of every hipster party in ny. what's good in terms of nightlife?

• 3 weeks later...

bumping this

going to montreal very soon

so what's going on? what cool stuff should i do? what stores should i go to? etc etc etc

i'm going to read the rest of the thread as soon as i have a chance but if anyone has anything to add that hasnt already been said, then please, post away

thanks

i am underage : ( so no beer for me

but i am down to chill and eat

i forget when exactly i am coming, i'll have to check, but i'll let y'all know

also good luck fattening me up, so far nothing has worked

also also poutine looks really gross, no offense

thx for hospitality

i thought reborn and U&I were both very cool

also check out micheal brisson (SP?) if u can, google for website and address

not to be picky on grammar but it's called michel brisson ;)

the old montreal store sucks, go to the one on laurier

Holt Renfrew has some good stuff as well

and you will LOVE poutine, everyone does

does anyone know how good my french has to be to work retail?

i was in french immersion k-10 and my oral is pretty good

worm are you going to be in montreal after aug 23?

if you want to work downtown, it'll be enough, plus ppl are generally super happy when anglos from the ROC come here to learn french so it might actually work in your favor

if you want to work downtown, it'll be enough, plus ppl are generally super happy when anglos from the ROC come here to learn french so it might actually work in your favor

Yeah, and as long as you can understand it pretty well and people see that you're actually making an effort to reply to them in French, they'll switch over to English anyway if they see you're having trouble getting your point across.