canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

hi

there is a lot of cheese and grease in montreal, but it is better than any other canadian city in my opinion: here are my recs.

U&I (boutique) between prince arthur and pine is hands down the best store in montreal. local and international great avant garde and unusual clothing as well as simple basics and obscure labels. i like the staff. they are nice. also the store itself is pretty great.

wantsil (boutique, old port). specializes in scandinavian clothing, etc. overpriced. if you can get this stuff elsewhere, do because their markup is extraordinary. but occasionally there are things here that you can't get in new york or elsewhere (unless you visit stockholm or copenhagen) and you just have to give in.

village des valeurs (thrift stores) great for digging.

laika (bar) nice bar.

reservoir (bar) also nice. close to laika.

mile end bar. nice looking space. further up on st laurent, but fewer cheesy people hang out there.

biftek (dive bar). fun times.

st. viateur street. (mile end area)

great coffee at cafe olympico, little vintage shops, polish food, guyanese food, etc. a little street kind of like bedford in williamsburg. very neighborhood-y.

monasiraki (store) up on st laurent as well. a little north of mile end bar. a store with curiosities, etc.

parking (club). i think fridays are the night to go.

l'barouf! (bar) st denis. a french-flavoured bar.

velvet (bar) old port. good music, pretty good crowd.

check out the schedule for the SAT (societe des arts technologique...or something) they usually have good music shows.

this is a list of my favourites. if there's anything in particular you are interested in, just post back.

St. Denis and St. Laurent areas are both great streets to walk around during the day (shopping, clothing and music) and night (bar and restaurant scene).

My favorite place in Montreal to eat dinner is Mediterraneo near St. Laurent and Sherbrooke St.

If you do decide to go down to Crescent St. for drinking and eating the vibe is less French, and more student.

Between the St. Laurent and Crescent areas there is a club called Groove Society. I have been a good number of times, and it was not always a good thing, but if the crowd is right it can be cool.

Also, the after hours scene is pretty big. There are little magazine/flyers that outline the current parties and should be checked for the most recent information.

When I am in town my cousins take me around and usually the best places end up being a bit of a blur, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't have a lot of specific recommendations... ;-)

Have a great time. Montreal is a favorite city of mine.

mcp

http://www.orange-mag.com/

Thanks for all the great info.

I'll try to hit up as many places as possible and juggle what my bro wants to do (we are going up there for his bachelor party).

btw whats a poutine? I googled it and saw it like mashed potatoe with a cube of pork in the middle right? I guess I have to try it.

Edited by presto718 on Jun 18, 2004 at 11:18 AM

The best poutine is a LA BELLE PROVINCE.

I just came back from Montreal over the weekend and there are a couple of new sneaker/clothing spots worth a peep.

1. SNEAKER FREAKER on St.Laurent

2. UNKNOWN NAME in Old Montreal. Sorry, I forgot the name of this place but i popped in quickly. They have Gravis, Vans, and other gear including Vapors Kankill and etc. Some Vinyl toys too.

Just came back from Montreal for my bro's bachelor party. I hit up U&I - not bad they carry A.P.C., Levi's vintage and red, comme des garçons and some others, nothing you can't find in NYC. Didn't get to check out and sneaker spots but hit the FL there and pick up some lebron vandals. Ate at Schwartz's smoked meats, Globe, and got some poutine at McDonald's after a drunken night. Chilled at Bueno notte across form Globe on St. Laurent, very nice. A lovely city, I plan on going back soon but by air next time.

• 3 years later...

As far as shopping is concerned, an often overlooked little boutique is Substance on Saint-Catherine. They carry cool things... Wild and Lethal Trash (back in the day), De Puta Madre, Custo Barcelona and some other spanish stuff. Rooney in Old Montreal on Notre-Dame street is my favorite... Artful Dodger, Stussy, Alife, and many others. Reborn also in Old Montreal on St-Paul is kinda cool. Holt Renfrew for the really good stuff though. Thats downtown. Mann in old montreal on Viger for male grooming supplies.

As far as dining is concerned, i recommend Modavie for a good steak. Verses, Trinity, Queue Du Cheval, Deca77, Chez Toque, Rib n' Reef, Le Garcon, are all other restaurants worth mentionning but pricy. A lot of mention of poutine... I gotta admit its great. There is a place (i think it's called Garde Manger) that makes foie gras poutine and also serves deep fried Mars chocolate bars for desert.

Clubs that are "hype" are Time Supperclub, Buonna Notte, Globe, Tribe, Mile End Bar, Wunderbar in the W hotel. A nice place to chill is Suite 701 in the Hotel Place D'armes. The SAT has great parties too so look into that place.

Lots of nice art galleries in the "Latin Quarter" and on Sherbrooke as well.

thats all i can think of right now.

some good advice, but, DO NOT GO TO CRESCENT, it sucks, a lot a lot a lot...

as far as shopping goes, it`s not that good, usually extremely overpriced. U&I on St-Laurent, Reborn in old montreal and Michel Brisson on laurier are the best shop IMO. Holt renfrew can also have some good stuff, but like the other store i mentionned, it's so overpriced. for the more hypebeasty crowd, there's goodfoot on st-laurent, rooney in old montreal and off the hook on st-catherine.

i don't go clubbing as much as i use to, but i generally really like Peer Pressure and Tiga's I Love Neon parties, even though it's usually fucking hipster central. parties are very often held at SAT. there's lot of good concert going on in the next months so check that out. most "hype" clubs usually have shitty music and loads of eurotrashy ppl, but at least there's lots of chicks.....

oh, and to whoever mentionned Parking, just want to clarify that it's a gay club, they have a straight men/women friendly night on thursday though if i remember correctly (Boyz Noise is playing there next month).

as for food, it's extremely good, best place in north america IMO.

but the best parties are of course our own MTL SuFu meetups, althought i have had problems showing up recently.....

I love how everyone bashes Crescent. Don't get me wrong, it deserves to be bashed :P

its greasynses can't easily be described with words. However there is a place called Newtown which is ok. The rest sucks hard!

• 3 weeks later...
bump

wher kan i kopp jpneze groseriz?

ima cum thru s00n

it's a miracle i could understand what you were saying

you might be a little disapointed as the japanese community in montreal is very small..

anyway, there's this korean grocery store that has a lot of japanese products where we often go, it's on st-catherine between atwater and guy,

there's also a japanese/korean grocery store on sherbrooke west, but i haven't been there very often and it was pretty expensive if i remember correctly.

there's also a japanese supermarket on Victoria just south of sherbrooke in westmount called myamoto that has a lot of stuff but is a bit on the expensive side

there's a korean/bio food supermarket in my building that carry a lot of japanese + they have the cheapest frozen ramen in montreal.

you can also find some stuff in chinatown.

sorry for the vague answer, pm me for more detail as i would have to look up the addresses.

when are you planning to come?

pm me, fuuma, mass or 2000db if you want to hang out cause we hang out together all the time.

All right. Thanks for the help.

I haven't decided when I'm going to come up.

I do have some time off between Sept 21 - 23. I live 1.5 hours away.

I need to do a little bit of research on montreal before I go so I don't get lost after I cross the border...

it's a miracle i could understand what you were saying

you might be a little disapointed as the japanese community in montreal is very small..

anyway, there's this korean grocery store that has a lot of japanese products where we often go, it's on st-catherine between atwater and guy,

there's also a japanese/korean grocery store on sherbrooke west, but i haven't been there very often and it was pretty expensive if i remember correctly.

there's also a japanese supermarket on Victoria just south of sherbrooke in westmount called myamoto that has a lot of stuff but is a bit on the expensive side

there's a korean/bio food supermarket in my building that carry a lot of japanese + they have the cheapest frozen ramen in montreal.

you can also find some stuff in chinatown.

sorry for the vague answer, pm me for more detail as i would have to look up the addresses.

when are you planning to come?

pm me, fuuma, mass or 2000db if you want to hang out cause we hang out together all the time.

where's your building (not stalking, just very curious about that korean bio supermarket.

-Where should I park my car

-Where do i get canadian $$$ (or can i bring US $?)

sucks that i had to miss that daft punk / ed banger show.

Justice will be back in oct (19), Boys noize are playing tonight, there are always good shows...

You can withdraw money from any canadian atm (call your bank to confirm) or any european one from that matter...so just bring like 100-200 Can in cash (go to exchange office or your bank).