canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in April with my gf, staying for a full week, and planning to rent a place through airbnb--

Which neighborhoods/streets should I be looking at for a place to stay?  we would like to be able to walk around to restaurants/cafes from the rental home and explore the city by foot as much as possible.  so far i've been looking at places around little italy, mile end, le plateau-- are any of these neighborhoods better than the others? and.. which area is most likely to make my gf say "this is such a cute neighborhood"? haha

Edited by fallen angels

Highly recommend Au Pied de Cochon for dinner and L'Avenue for lunch/brunch.

+1 Au Pied de Cochon

My partner and I find places like L'Avenue and La Banquise overrated.

Other good food within cheap ass to reasonable range:

• Ma Poule Mouillée - their poutine is terrific, and there's no queue ala La Banquise across the street
  • L'Gros Luxe
  • Faberge
  • Sparrow
  • Le Cagibi
  • Sardine (turns into izakaya in the evening)
  • Lapin Pressé

More fancy schmancy:

• Au Pied de Cochon
  • Tri Express
  • Joe Beef
  • Garde Manger

Hey guys, I'm visiting Montreal for the first time in April with my gf, staying for a full week, and planning to rent a place through airbnb--

Which neighborhoods/streets should I be looking at for a place to stay?  we would like to be able to walk around to restaurants/cafes from the rental home and explore the city by foot as much as possible.  so far i've been looking at places around little italy, mile end, le plateau-- are any of these neighborhoods better than the others? and.. which area is most likely to make my gf say "this is such a cute neighborhood"? haha

Plateau and Mile End is definitely the place to be. It's popular among foreigners and expats. Easy to get around, plenty of exploring to do, cute buildings and alley ways.

Mile End is perhaps more central for walking around as its surrounded by Outremont, Little Italy, Laurier, Plateau. Lots of cool and hipster cafes, shops and restaurants. It's pretty English friendly too.

Personally I prefer Mile End more than Plateau (I've been living in Plateau). What I don't like about Mile End is there is no metro so it can be a bitch to get to if you're dead tired at the end of the day or if it's freezing outside, unless you find a place close to the metro, though I guess distance to metro is not a big problem in April.  ;)

As long as you're either near metro Mont-Royal or Laurier, you'll be right.  :)

Make sure you walk on the mountain!

Make sure you pull up to U&I. I've made some epic cops from Michel Brisson. There's that one goth ninja shop in the old port.

It's been like four or five years since I regularly went to MTL though. Pretty lulzy but my buddy and i used to go to that portuguese chicken place, thai express, and bowfingers a lot.

I also enjoyed going to Jean-Talon Market with some sufu OGs. 

I liked Montreal style bagels. I think they are p dope.

Edited by herpsky

In addition to what other have said, you might want to check out places in Old Montreal. I'm biased because that's where I use to live, but think it's the best neighborhood in montreal (and definitely the cutest). Very old and european with great shops and restaurants and walking distance to downtown, griffintown, etc. Mile End is also very awesome (my mom live in Outremont so I'm there a lot when I visit). If you do end up with a place on the Plateau, don't go to far east. Little Italy is nice, but might be a little far for your purpose (it'll be cheaper though).

• 1 month later...

Fairmont has the best bagels, saint-viateur is a very close 2nd best (tbh, those 2 are the best and whichever you prefer is more down to personal preference)

mass: don't you have thai express in vancouver? I've been craving it and I walk by two on the way back from work and it closes at 6pm... 

• 1 year later...

Anybody have any updated info about Montreal?  

New Sufu-Approved places of any kind?

Anybody have any updated info about Montreal?  

New Sufu-Approved places of any kind?

Anything in particular you're looking for? a lot of the stuff in the thread (and there's another Montreal thread somewhere) is still mostly up-to-date despite being a little old. 

Anything in particular you're looking for? a lot of the stuff in the thread (and there's another Montreal thread somewhere) is still mostly up-to-date despite being a little old. 

Looking for things not normally found in lists.. unique record stores, weird/interesting retail stores of any kind, out there museums (like PS1), etc..