canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

Did Ssense have a retail store?

they rented space and had sigs on the window for the longest time, but they took every down sometimes this year...

Duo is a pretty cool boutique too (carry Lanvin, DH, Raf, YSL, etc)

they did have a physical store last time i was in the area (late summer)

u&i has a new location in old port too

they did have a physical store last time i was in the area (late summer)

u&i has a new location in old port too

Store is listed on google maps so maybe I'm just an idiot. It's like 5 min from my place and I pass around pretty much every day walking my dogs so I'll have a look.

Wondered what happened to U&I when I saw they closed the man side of the store. Make sense to move to old montreal too, st-Laurent's gone to shit and apart from duo, there's no other store in the area at those price range

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What's there to do in Montreal for ~1 week? I'm not looking for shop recs (I generally loathe in-store shopping), and while I've heard the strip clubs are solid this and similar types of debauchery is probably a no go... hit me up with cool bar recs though please and thanks  :)

Also interested in sightseeing and the like. Introduce me to stereotypical Canadian shit to look at like mounties or something.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone have recommendations for top-tier alterations tailors? I don't care how much they cost, as long as they know how to handle Dior.

The last guy I tried butchered one of my favourite jackets with drunken chimpanzee workmanship — he used orange thread to patch some seams on a black jacket, and forgot to close the holes he had made for alterations. 

Which tailor was that?

I have been told that waxman on parc is good although I haven't gone myself. I would not recommend le planche a repasser, I was recommended to them by someone who I trusted and was very disappointed they ignored my request to have a repair darned and just went over the whole a bunch of times with thick thread and I had to bring back something because the seam they resewed was not straight and therefor buckled. They apologized and did the repairs for no charge but still. I also normally go to alterations mike because 75% of the time he does great work and isnt super expensive, but again I have been disappointed with some results and when I bring them up to him he makes some excuse. 

The thing I have noticed about tailors here is that they just go ahead and do whatever they think is best and then surprise you with something you didn't expect, lack of communication.. Maybe I am going to the wrong people but I have yet to find anywhere that I want to return to consistently.

Does anyone have recommendations for top-tier alterations tailors? I don't care how much they cost, as long as they know how to handle Dior.

The last guy I tried butchered one of my favourite jackets with drunken chimpanzee workmanship — he used orange thread to patch some seams on a black jacket, and forgot to close the holes he had made for alterations. 

go to Alterations paul at square philips. was recommended to me by fuuma and paul has done fantastic work on quite a lot of my blazers, suits and pants and it has always been fantastic. i lost a lot of weight and he was able to perfectly slim down everything. he handled my dior (amongst other high end brands) perfectly so i would definitely recomend

1255 du Square Phillips, Montréal, QC H3B 3G1, Canada

Which tailor was that?

I have been told that waxman on parc is good although I haven't gone myself. I would not recommend le planche a repasser, I was recommended to them by someone who I trusted and was very disappointed they ignored my request to have a repair darned and just went over the whole a bunch of times with thick thread and I had to bring back something because the seam they resewed was not straight and therefor buckled. They apologized and did the repairs for no charge but still. I also normally go to alterations mike because 75% of the time he does great work and isnt super expensive, but again I have been disappointed with some results and when I bring them up to him he makes some excuse. 

The thing I have noticed about tailors here is that they just go ahead and do whatever they think is best and then surprise you with something you didn't expect, lack of communication.. Maybe I am going to the wrong people but I have yet to find anywhere that I want to return to consistently.

It was a tailor, around the corner from where I used to live, in the Drummond Building (Ste. Cat and Stanley): Alterations Elie. I had used Elie's services before, on a blazer, but the second time I went was an absolute disaster. It was exactly like you said. He also did the worst darning job I have ever seen on a couple of my Dior jeans. Thankfully nothing is unfixable (he barely fixed anything to begin with), it's just annoying to have pay again. 

go to Alterations paul at square philips. was recommended to me by fuuma and paul has done fantastic work on quite a lot of my blazers, suits and pants and it has always been fantastic. i lost a lot of weight and he was able to perfectly slim down everything. he handled my dior (amongst other high end brands) perfectly so i would definitely recomend

1255 du Square Phillips, Montréal, QC H3B 3G1, Canada

Awesome. Thank you for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I haven't been on Sufu in awhile. 

Anyway, going to Montreal next week and staying downtown. Looking for suggestions on food/nightlife/cool historical architecture.

Thanks!

Drinks & Dins:

The Sparrow

Kazu

Cafe Myriade

KemCoBa

Laika

The Reservoir

Dieu du Ciel

Quebecois Food:

St. Viateur Bagels

La Banquise

Au Pied de Cochon

Schwartz

Manitoba

Hoods:

Old Montreal

Plateau

Mile End

I usually go to H. Padar on St. Cats. Here's his site http://hpadar.com/ I've been happy with most of their work. 

Thanks oceanv1ew. I'll be in Montreal in less than a week as well. Anyone else have recs? More looking for nice bars with laid back/casual vibes. Not trying to be stuffy or dressed up on vacation. Also, more must eats? 

for cool bars see my post above

must eats: poutine at la belle province on st-laurent & prince-arthur, au pied de cochon, garde-manger