canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

Where in the park do the LARPers congregate? Is it still an every Sunday deal? If so, will they still larp over Easter? I miss seeing these guys on the metro more than any other facet of Montreal lifestyle.

Unsure of the timetable but from what I gather they congregate (lol) on the 'tam-tam' side of the mountain on sundays in summer. never checked this out yet myself.

Gourmet Bourger is awesome. it's my buddy's joint and he has recently added organic angus burgers to the menu.

So if I'm coming from the plateau where do I want to enter the park? And how's the weather been lately? I'm bringing a coat but is it still winter or that grey rainy purgatory stage that lasts right up til summer ass rapes the city with humidity type shit?

So if I'm coming from the plateau where do I want to enter the park? And how's the weather been lately? I'm bringing a coat but is it still winter or that grey rainy purgatory stage that lasts right up til summer ass rapes the city with humidity type shit?

walk on mont-royal ave towards the west until you reach du parc ave, that or take the 11 bus on mont-royal

its been sunny, but bring stil bring a coat

• 2 months later...

Going to Montreal with some friends this weekend. What's a good neighborhood to go out and get some drinks, dick around? I'm married, but my friends will prob wanna go somewhere unpretentious where they can hang with post-grad, < 30yr old girls that aren't CWG's. Maybe something with a vibe similar to the LES/EV in NYC? Is plateau cool? Any guidance would be awesome

Anywhere on Laurier, Bernard St (Mile-End area) is fine -

Or else anywhere near Berri-UQAM metro, on Saint-Denis, from Ste-Cathrine going up to Prince-Arthur is a fine choice.

Maybe this could help

http://www.nightlife.ca/directory

http://ourfaves.com/c/montreal/nightlife

Cheers, and have fun

Going to Montreal with some friends this weekend. What's a good neighborhood to go out and get some drinks, dick around? I'm married, but my friends will prob wanna go somewhere unpretentious where they can hang with post-grad, < 30yr old girls that aren't CWG's. Maybe something with a vibe similar to the LES/EV in NYC? Is plateau cool? Any guidance would be awesome

Where you from?

U&I for sufu-approved jawnz

Michel Brisson for haute couture goth ninja jawnz

holt renfrew for regular jawnz

Any suggestions for good shops to check for women's clothing? Will be in Montreal for a few days with my wife

Henriette L on Laurier has some really nice stuff (Y's by yohji are the nicest, imo) and theres some other store for wiminz jawnz ran by some old fat jewish woman near that store that is having a sale, too.

michel brisson only stocks menswear and they start at 46, ehich sucks, but you wife could always get some rick or ann dem top.

holts for prada, chanel, hermes, etc jawnz

there's cahier d'exercices on st-paul that has nice stuff (dem fucking limi feu jawnz...)

I'd stop by Les Etoffes if you're closed by as well. I love their clothes selection which is composed of great basics. In men's, I remember they hold Unis and Christophe Lemaire (of Hermès).

Not knowing what are your center of interests, it's kind of hard to propose you anything. food-wise, the most talked about restaurant right now is probably still the Kazu, I believe, which serves cheap-but-good-not-worthing-the-hour-long-wait-in-the-queue japanese food. If you like ice cream you can stop by to Le Bilbocquet on Bernard. Try bagels on Saint-Viateur which are arguably the best ones in North America. Since you're from the US, I'd highly recommend to eat a poutine, Quebec's flagship dish, an awful mix of cheese, french fries and sauce: la banquise is probably the place to go. Schwart'z is an institution and serves smoked meat, but I personally prefer Lester's (which is on Bernard not far from Le Bilbocquet). Adresses on my to-try list includes the Lawrence, Le Filet (which is owned by le Club Chasse et Peche owners) and le Van Horne Restaurant.

iBurger and m:burger are cool if you like burgers

écurie bar et table for whatever

romados for portuguese style chicken

I'd go with La Paryse for the burgers. I haven't try iburger but from what I understand the experience is more about the touchscreen that the burgers per say. m:burger is overhyped and overpriced imo. The best burger I found in Montreal was at La Boulette, 2223 Beaubien East. I still have to try Les Belles Soeurs and Café Meliès though. I talked from experience, I've been looking for the best one since the last 2 years.. This guy was more disciplined in his search and created an interesting tumblr on the subject.

hey guys, i'm beginning a data collection on underground and mass consumption for my phd. If you feel you are particularly into something (e.g., music, food, clothes, an activity like biking, sailing, particular brands, or anything else, and it can really be anything) and/or ahead of the game in something, I'd love to have a chat with you. Interviews should last about 2 hours. If that sounds interesting or if you want more info just PM me. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. Heading to Montreal w/ the gf this week. Here's my list so far:

Sleeping

Hotel Place d'Armes

Shopping

Rooney

Ssense

Reborn

Michel Brisson

TNT

Holt Renfrew

Harry Toulch Vision

Eating

Au Pied de Cochon

Schwartz's

La Banquise

Drinking

Shows

Star Slinger

Sights

Art Galleries/Museums

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Skip au pied du cocoon if your only with your girl. It's the least romantic meal you'll ever eat. It's only worth going if you have 4 fat dudes and are comfortable eating to the point of nausea. A couple will max out on 2 dishes. I didn't have a good time cause I'm the kinda guy who goes all out and I was crippled before my last two dishes reached the table. If you're trying to blimp your chick out, disregard my comments.

Best meal my girl and I had was at les trois petite bouchons. On st Denis I think, near mont royal. Best food I've ever eaten in mtl. Beware the all organic wine list. Avoid the pinots, and ask the wine guy for advice. Barring a language barrier, you will be taken very good ca re of.

Shopping

Fake

Off the hook

Eating

Joe Beef or Liverpool House (Same people)

La Salle à manger

La Buvette chez Simone

Le Chien Fumant case tapes

La Sala Rosa

Dominion Square (also great drinks)

Garde Manger

Drinking

Plan B or Bily Kun (Same People)

Sparrow

Reservoir

Shows

Star Slinger

Check - http://web.blueskiesturnblack.com/ and http://www.pollstar.com/resultsCity.aspx?ID=61265&SortBy=Date&SearchBy=montreal

They seem to have all of the good listings.

Galleries

Musé D'art Comtemporain De Montréal

Museé des Beaux-Arts De Montéal

When I moved up here 5 months ago I made a little map with peoples suggestions. I hope you might find it helpful. http://g.co/maps/fgtd5