canada :: montreal :: general

presto718

I'm late here, but here's a couple of places for the future travellers:

Bars/clubs:

- Baldwin Barmacie on Laurier, near St-Urbain. I'm a big fan of the place. The crowd is eclectic; young professionals, hipsters, students, francos, anglos. Good drinks, cool vibe, nice decor, hot girls. Its sort of a lounge, but it gets loud without being a club.

- Tokyo Bar on St-Laurent: a bit of a Montreal institution. Easy-going crowd. I've been there, but it was pretty much at the end of the night. Don't have much to comment on.

- B-Sides near St-Laurent: the terrace on the roof is cool during the summer. Been there once and it was way too packed though. Chicks were good-looking.

- Garde-Manger: its a good restaurant but turns into a bar into the night.

- High-end places would be Time SupperClub, Buona Notte, etc.

Microbreweries:

- L'amère à boire on St-Denis: the Imperial Stout is amazing.

- Dieu du Ciel on Laurier: always packed but some great beers.

- Sergent recruteur: if I remember correctly, the beers were alright.

Poutine:

- La Banquise on Rachel. Only poutine you need to eat.

Pizza: Montreal's not a pizza city. The best one is at La Bottega on St-Zotique in Little Italy.

Hamburgers:

- La Paryse on Ontario: Montreal institution

- Mbgr on Drummond: can get expensive if you go wild on the toppings, but by far the best beef.

Steakhouses:

- Moishes

- Gibby's

Chinese:

- Keung Kee on de la Gauchetière, 2nd floor: good for cantonese but avoid duck dishes.

- Lotte futurama: best dim sums, good place.

- Prêt-à-manger: its in Chinatown II, near Concorda University on St-Catherine/Guy. Pretty good.

Sushis:

- Tri Express on Laurier: my favourite, make a reservation though because its tiny.

- Kanda on Bishop and de Maisonneuve: its alright for a all-you-can-eat (24 bucks)

Bistros:

- L'Express on St-Denis: a true Montreal institution. Open from 8 in the morning to 2AM. Very consistent.

- Au Petit Extra: classic bistro, quite good.

Wine bars:

- Comptoir à vin Bouchonné!: my personal pick, great food, great wine, good servers. The place is nice, too. Eclectic crowd: young and not so young professionals, hipsters. Classic Montréal crowd, I guess.

- BU bar à vin: one of my favourite places. Still quite trendy. Italian food. Reservations recommanded.

- Pullman: a tad higher-end and not as good in my view. Its on Parc Av.

Really good places:

- Au Pied de Cochon: unique Montréal experience. Must-try. Indulge in foie gras. My personal favourite.

- L'Épicier: the chef, Laurent Godbout, is one of the city's finest and is very creative.

- La Chronique

- Jun I: mostly Japanese but has French-inspired dishes too.

- Raza: high-end latin food on Laurier.

- Toqué!: doesn't need any introduction to Montréal foodies. Very expensive.

- Graziella on McGill street in the Old City (not McGill College); great Italian food.

Thats all I can think of for now...

Ah... for the guy who just realized that he was legal in Montréal... well, its not like it really matters anyway. As the joke goes, in Québec, the legal drinking age is merely a suggestion...

I GOT CARDED AT FOUFOU (that bar next to metropolis) CAUSE I LOOK FOREIGN. there are like 13 year old hipster chicks in there.

PWN3D

I GOT CARDED AT FOUFOU (that bar next to metropolis) CAUSE I LOOK FOREIGN. there are like 13 year old hipster chicks in there.

PWN3D

They were probably just wondering what that chinaman was doing there. As far as most bars go if you're a girl and you're not under 10 they'll let you in, for dudes it can get slightly more severe but 16+ is normally a go.

Good list Histrion. I think hitting Dieu du ciel (they have bitter in casks!! among other niceties) and then walking 5 min to Baldwin does make for a good night out.

• 1 month later...
one of my buddies just broke up with his gf and he has suggested that we travel to montreal for titty bars / brothels / hookers.

any experts in this?

There's a superfuture-like board dedicated to rating girls and services (0), I'll try to find it, can't really comment myself as I've never indulged. I know many americans and even europeans rate the montréal prostitution scene quite highly.

There's a superfuture-like board dedicated to rating girls and services (0), I'll try to find it, can't really comment myself as I've never indulged. I know many americans and even europeans rate the montréal prostitution scene quite highly.

I used to know someone who wouldn't shut up about that board...

http://www.merb.ca

I never figured out if he actually partook in the services or if he just liked talking about the board, though. I don't think either one would surprise me, frankly,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of picking up a canada goose jacket.

I kinda wanna get one that is not super-arctic-exxxxxtreme e.g. expedition.

are their "low-end" ones good enough to withstand the cold of the winter around here?

i know that u and i has quite a few of them. i dont think im getting one from there though b/c their pricing is out of control.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Canada Goose jacket last year in Montréal. I can not for the life of me remember exactly where I got it though. I looked for the retailers and found some place like past Jean-Talon Market, on St-Laurent, selling some of them at decent price. I think Simons has them too (at least they do in Québec City) as well as plenty of other places.

I'll be in town around 330PM.

I think I'll just explore the city until 6 or so.

I think I'll check out the outdoor store.

11% (or whatever the amount is) on cluthingz? fuck....

I'll be in town around 330PM.

I think I'll just explore the city until 6 or so.

I think I'll check out the outdoor store.

11% (or whatever the amount is) on cluthingz? fuck....

dude,

the C$ has lost 30% Vs the US$ and the ¥ in the past month and half, don't bitch about tax...

until when are you staying, what's the plan?

will pm you my phone #

Holy shit

I thought 1 CAD was 1 USD.

NOW It's 1 CAD to 0.75 USD

It's BOOOOOOOOOOOM TIME.

U&I, reborn, and canada goose here i come

pspshshshshsh