Sign in to follow this  
weirdnjfan1

Should the rep system be done away with or at least changed?

After seeing how the rep system works, I feel that it is being abused a little too much and should be done away with. I personally feel that too many people are abusing it and it should be at least changed in someway. Let's say for example that someone has a different opinion on something that someone else doesn't like or a topic is made that doesn't fit the board. Does that give the person the right to neg rep the person who has made a mistake or didn't realize that there was a topic on another board? Personally, I feel that the rep system is being abused and used by people way too much. I know that I'm gonna get huge shit for posting this and possibly a shit load of neg rep, but this is the way that I feel and I'm standing by it firmly. Any other commits on it.

you cannot topple the aristocracy bitch

Wow, he I am thinking that this topic would get me flamed to death. I guess that I should of posted it longer. I'd like to hear from more users about this.

Edit: I'm not saying that it's a bad thing either, I just feel sometimes that it can be abused by some of the users where it shouldn't be.

I don't value rep for shit since the reacharound thread and the Dirty Dozen (-1) thread paved the way for people to get large peens. You got assholes with 5 dark tips and decent quality folk with a box or two. I think the system was changed before because people with big peens bestowed massive points and now the scale doesn't seem to be as dramatically graduated as before. I also view people who have red with an open mind because you never know if some dude kept negging.

Full disclosure, I do believe I hold the dubious honor of starting the rep whoredom in the Dirty Dozen (-1) thread back in January.

I dont think I see your point.

the rep system is there so you can give your shout outs or comments to other users. if you feel like its being "abused" then you might be taking it too seriously.

whether or not its worth anything is a different question, but I dont see how it could really be abused as it doesn't really affect your ability to post here or anything.

basically everyone who got shitloads of rep from one of the reacharound threads should have their name posted on a wall of shame or something

because the people who get off on that kind of rep are the same people that would get pissed off about having their name listed on a wall of shame

(i posted in the thread once)

rep is a nice system to give messsages instead of using PM to the user directly, i think it's a really nice idea.

we all know about the circle jerking in threads, but i don't think we should even waste time thinking about it. at the end of the day what matters is if you feel you have contributed to the forum positively with good info or honest opinions, no matter how big/small your rep is.

basically everyone who got shitloads of rep from one of the reacharound threads should have their name posted on a wall of shame or something

because the people who get off on that kind of rep are the same people that would get pissed off about having their name listed on a wall of shame

(i posted in the thread once)

rep is a nice system to give messsages instead of using PM to the user directly, i think it's a really nice idea.

we all know about the circle jerking in threads, but i don't think we should even waste time thinking about it. at the end of the day what matters is if you feel you have contributed to the forum positively with good info or honest opinions, no matter how big/small your rep is.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the vast majority of the people who have tons of rep rarely received it from that thread (even if they did post in it - myself included - rep there was usually from newbs with no points wanting to get a reacharound). The people (with a few exceptions of entertaining posters - OMC/Begs/etc.) who get lots of rep get it from WAYWT. The number of posters who post fucking heinous outfits on a daily basis and contribute nothing else to the board is mindblowing, yet and still, their e-dick grows consistenly.

Like Mike said, no one should take the system seriously or as some form of personal merit. The only time that it backfires, imo, is when I see a person trying to sell something in Supermarket and they have red rep. I subconsciously try to avoid them, which is sad because maybe the guy is a good guy with helpful info., but he called DDML a mule-cock-swallower once and now has the mark of the beast until he can dig himself out. But then, this isn't ebay, so one can neg rep for whatever the shit they want.....

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the vast majority of the people who have tons of rep rarely received it from that thread (even if they did post in it - myself included - rep there was usually from newbs with no points wanting to get a reacharound). The people (with a few exceptions of entertaining posters - OMC/Begs/etc.) who get lots of rep get it from WAYWT. The number of posters who post fucking heinous outfits on a daily basis and contribute nothing else to the board is mindblowing, yet and still, their e-dick grows consistenly.

I do none of those things and managed to attain a quite sizeable e-peen. I don't know how I manage.

I do none of those things and managed to attain a quite sizeable e-peen. I don't know how I manage.

we all know admins can positive rep themselves without any time restraints!

You are Servo. It is the way of things.

OK! I +rep'd as many people as I could in this thread. Don't forget to +rep me back! K tanx!

heartbeatgx1.gifheartbeatgx1.gifheartbeatgx1.gifheartbeatgx1.gif

I think it's your avatar.

I think it's your avatar.

Looks like it's time for a change. Again. For a while.

Then I'll probably go back to this one again.

I have posted in WAYWT a small handful of times (less than 10) as well.

Analog you owe me rep for the ass shaking gif.....which stunt stole and got mad repz for postin it in the waywt chat edition.

Danke

I guess that I understand how the rep system works now. But there's gotta be some kind of change with it at least. Example, in the Ideas For the Next Denim contest, all I did was suggest that we use a certain Swedish jean company. The next thing I knew, I see a neg rep that says "Weeeeeeeeeeek." I feel that it was very unnecessary, just because I made a suggestion that wasn't very good, doesn't mean that you have to neg rep some one because of it. I guess that from now on I'm gonna read the entire topic and see what everyone else is saying and also check every board before posting.

Guest jmatsu
I guess that I understand how the rep system works now. But there's gotta be some kind of change with it at least. Example, in the Ideas For the Next Denim contest, all I did was suggest that we use a certain Swedish jean company. The next thing I knew, I see a neg rep that says "Weeeeeeeeeeek." I feel that it was very unnecessary, just because I made a suggestion that wasn't very good, doesn't mean that you have to neg rep some one because of it. I guess that from now on I'm gonna read the entire topic and see what everyone else is saying and also check every board before posting.

+ rep. 10char

What's up with the grey reps? Neutral rep? I don't get it.