school me on white dress shirts.

eddyz

I wanna change my style a bit and have some white dress shirts in my collection.. I know there is different types, but what kind or brand whould you recommend that will match well with loose cardigans? I'm medium build, so i can't really fit skinny slim fit dress shirts..

There are a few big names when it comes to producing high quality men's dress shirts. You should ask yourself some questions when looking:

1. How much am I willing to spend?

2. What do I want to wear it with?

3. How do I want them to fit?

4. What cuffs do I want? Buttoned or French cuffs?

5. What collar do I want?

With a good dress shirt, you want to make sure it's a good quality buy, because if you pick the right one, it'll last you forever and is easy to love. Just off the top of my head, a few great white dress shirts would be Band of Outsiders (who make TONS of great classic pieces), Ralph Lauren (which are available in various collections, including Purple and Black Label), Thomas Pink (whose stores are remarkably helpful in picking the right cut for your build), amongst others.

Also take into consideration the type of cloth you want. Broadcloth (which Thom Browne uses for Black Fleece) which is dense and has a smooth surface, poplin (which uses silk warp with a weft of worsted yarn), or just plain Oxford cloth.

The truth is that there is a lot of options and a lot of small details to pick up along the way. If you're really serious about getting a quality white dress shirt, take your time. One will certainly rise above the rest.

thanks for the reply. I currently banana republic dress shirts.. I find it hard to fit in most desginer brands since my neck size is 17, and my length is 35, so sometimes i have ahrd time finding this combo...

I guess price wise, since im only using for school, something under $50 would be nice.. Since i will mostly wear it with a cardigan on top *since is winter soon* + maybe just the shirt + skinny tie combo on some days

Dress shirts can be problematic if , say, you have a huge neck size (17" in my case) and normal length arms (34"). Handmade by Turnbull and Asser of Jermyn St, if price isn't a problem. They keep your pattern and you can just get extra shirts made in a variety of fabrics. However, any good gentleman's outfitters should stock ready to wear white dress shirts for a fraction of the price of bespoke.