aloha rag in nyc

Guest jmatsu

i can't believe it. i spoke to the owner and aloharag is opening a shop in tribeca.

wtf? i don't think that they're gonna do good, cause he said that they're basically gonna carry the same shit (which can be bought directly from the boutiques in nyc...ie. maison margelia,cdg, pellat-finet). i wish them luck, but i have no clue as to how they think they can pull this off...

i doubt this will go over well in nyc, but i think the mentality is like a personal buyer or something.

for instance if you go to any chain record store in japan you have to go to various floors and various sections to get your records/cds because the music genres aren't really organized that well. as opposed to a shop like escalator or bonjour, everthing you want is there, the service is impeccable and you don't have to go through the hassles.

this works for various smaller music/select shops in jp, but i just can't fathom this in theory working for nyc. go figure.

actually, the store can work, depending on a few things:

location. often enough, people will favor a boutique in a well chosen location as opposed to a monobrand store in a different area.

design. if the place looks good, it will do well.

service. get on your knees and suck me off while i try this on, please.

prices. aloharag will totally fail at this. especially with nyc rents.

3 out of 4 aint so bad. if it makes it here for two years, i will not be too surprised, if it lasts for five i will be pleasantly shocked.

not that i think they're a great boutique, but it will be interesting to see how they do. various factors come to mind. foot traffic alone, they're publicity, and japanese connections. it just seems impossible cause in honolulu they've got a monopoly whilst in nyc they'd just be a little fish in a huge pond.

actually, the store can work, depending on a few things:

location. often enough, people will favor a boutique in a well chosen location as opposed to a monobrand store in a different area.

design. if the place looks good, it will do well.

service. get on your knees and suck me off while i try this on, please.

prices. aloharag will totally fail at this. especially with nyc rents.

3 out of 4 aint so bad. if it makes it here for two years, i will not be too surprised, if it lasts for five i will be pleasantly shocked.

i am wondering how other boutiques of the same calibre who carry the same accounts feel about this. i mean they're in tribeca. artier won't give a fuck, but what about other semi close select shops??

well come to think of it..it is kind of odd that a shop like aloha rag exists in hawaii..with the warm weather and all..therye out there selling lanvin trenchcoats,margiela leather jackets..etc. hah. i bet people didn't give them a chance opening up shop then.. so who to say..well see.

it's not odd. actually it's quite genius. there are alot of rich people in honolulu, who have an abundance of time and money with nothing to do. mad japanese (savvy consumer and country consumer who can't get certain labels in whatever sticks they live in )go to their shop cause they got the monopoly of a "uber high fashion" boutique whatever. they're net sales are great cause when shit sells out, people can still mail order from them.

not to mention that they have mad connections in japan. mad celebrity power.

i am wondering how other boutiques of the same calibre who carry the same accounts feel about this. i mean they're in tribeca. artier won't give a fuck, but what about other semi close select shops??

If they will be in tribeca they won't have much competition. There are a lot of expensive places to live there so the store might target the locals.

if they open in any of the empty storefronts i'm thinking of, they have a fighting chance. tribeca is actually not too saturated in terms of high-end boutiques. offering wealthy tribers the chance to shop after theyve thoroughly sloshed themselves on complimentary brunch champagne in the many restaurants in the area might prove to be a boon.

• 4 months later...

"Hawaiian boutique Aloha Rag is trading the sunny, breezy, palm-tree-strewn beaches of the islands for the smoggy Holland Tunnel nightmaresville of Hudson Square. According to Material Interest, the retailer, "a pioneer of the artful mix of European and indie designer brands," is landing on the corner of Greenwich and Spring Streets in late March (renderings of the soon-to-open shop are above). The store will be stocked with trendy pieces from labels like Ksubi, Rogan and Tim Hamilton."

http://racked.com/archives/2008/02/15/storecasting_aloha_rag_to_stor.php

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates? Aloharag has; ever since I first logged into sufu back in my college days, been my first place to ransack during sale-season. I wish to do it in person someday during a NYC shopping conquest.