overrated bands

poly800rock

Pelican is overrated. They had something worth the hype (selftitled, Australasia), now they need to stop or lose their drummer and/or get more interesting.

Next, Mono...*yawn* Cool, you're Japanese, cool you're instrumental......cool, uh, delay.

I think you just need to start taking instrumental post-rock for what it is. Sure, Pelican moved away from the crushing sludge metal sound. Get over it and start listening to their music when you're trying to concentrate on something else.

Now Pelican live is another matter entirely. Even though they played Drought, which was a massive highlight, their refusal to put any performance into their show whatsoever the rest of the time leaves you effectively listening to a CD. Admittedly, they were supported by These Arms Are Snakes, which didn't do them any favours.

I expect the same to happen in November when Mono get supported by British post-metallers Bossk, but nevermind, I'd happily fork of 8 quid to see Bossk alone.

thread started out ok until keegenn started posting

Almost. Thread started out bad, then keagan shat it up beyond recognition.

People need to stop taking popular music so damn seriously. I say that whilst attempting to learn Parkway Drive's songs so that I might actually semi-enjoy them when they play on an otherwise reasonably decent setlist in Novemeber.

I think you just need to start taking instrumental post-rock for what it is. Sure, Pelican moved away from the crushing sludge metal sound. Get over it and start listening to their music when you're trying to concentrate on something else.

Now Pelican live is another matter entirely. Even though they played Drought, which was a massive highlight, their refusal to put any performance into their show whatsoever the rest of the time leaves you effectively listening to a CD. Admittedly, they were supported by These Arms Are Snakes, which didn't do them any favours.

I expect the same to happen in November when Mono get supported by British post-metallers Bossk, but nevermind, I'd happily fork of 8 quid to see Bossk alone.

these arms are snakes put on easily one of the most intense live shows, steve gets every single last person in the room involved its amazing. great guys, haven't gotten to see them in months.

these arms are snakes put on easily one of the most intense live shows, steve gets every single last person in the room involved its amazing. great guys, haven't gotten to see them in months.

I wouldn't go that far... it's probably just the voice in the back of my head going "BOTCH BOTCH BOTCH BOTCH" though.

i know where you're coming from on that one. i would say though the energy that taas brings live shits on their cd energy. they def. put on a fun show though and i would say they are a highly underrated band. back in the day pelican used to put on more of a show and get more into it, its too bad to hear they're just standing around and not into it is disapointing.

No one really toots their horn at all? Are you serious? That's like saying Thriller should have moved more units.

Influential? Yes. One of the top five most influential UK bands ever. In that way, they get all the respect they deserve.

But musically? It's hard to respect a band when half of them didn't know how to play their instruments. Give me a break.

Your opinion on music has just been voided out. Sorry.

yeah, cuz the sex pistols were going after the shredding guitar solos and falseto harmonies...the only one who didn't know how to play was sid. everyone else was competent.

im just gonna comment: those who disliked my bloody valentine, yo la tengo can indeed get fucked as carl mentioned. the kid with the killers name for a screen name is automatically disqualified because he's already met the over rated band requirement with that anyhow. and literally copying and pasting your entire music library is cute.

now.... nearly ALL any any bluegrass hippie shit. living in boulder colorado, its all i fucking hear "ah man string cheese broke up!!!!" "leftover salmon are coming" ahhhhhhh "zilla is playing, lets eat acid and pretend society doesnt exist anymore!!!" yeah fuck that shit. oh this should get some drama going: GRATEFUL DEAD. there we go, ive listened to sooooooo much of their stuff second hand (room mate) and still think this band is terrible. if you want great music made while on acid listen to WHITE RAINBOW, SURFACE OF ESCEON.

I guess it doesn't really help not really dig instru. post-rock, but, I know what instrumental post-rock is, and Pelican can't seem to write anything anymore. Also, like I mentioned, their drummer is really bringing them down, which has been brought up in a lot of articles 'bout them. It past with their heavier stuff, but with their current sound, it sounds dead.

Now mono. I like Mono, they have some good stuff, but they're very "hit and miss" to me. I really like Hey, You EP though.They'rebit over-hyped and I think the fact that they're Japanese adds to their popularity rather than the actual music. Same goes for Boris, but I really like Boris. =)Now talk about some great instrumental post-rock, I loved the Cancer Conspiracy. RIP

But as far as instrumental post-rock goes, I would rather put some Bibio, Deaf Center, or Max Richter on in the background than 70% of instru. post-rock. I'm sort of a nerd and lame though so...

I wouldn't go that far... it's probably just the voice in the back of my head going "BOTCH BOTCH BOTCH BOTCH" though.

+2

I can't listen to These Arms Are Snakes. I get Botch Boners. Haven't seen them live though, so...

I guess it doesn't really help not really dig instru. post-rock, but, I know what instrumental post-rock is, and Pelican can't seem to write anything anymore. Also, like I mentioned, their drummer is really bringing them down, which has been brought up in a lot of articles 'bout them. It past with their heavier stuff, but with their current sound, it sounds dead.

I don't know about that... there is a distinct and I would presume deliberate switch to a more upbeat drum style on the new album that wasn't there on the second. I agree that it doesn't work, but the drums on the less heavy moments of the second album, which was the majority sounded far more passable.

Now talk about some great instrumental post-rock, I loved the Cancer Conspiracy. RIP

Your task is to acquire the first Bossk EP and their very forthcoming second EP, if you in any way like Isis-esque post rock/metal... their new material has some crushing grooves to rival early Pelican to boot. They're finally getting the press and tour slots their work deserves.

i don't really want to write all of it, but basically, the sex pistols were a ploy by malcom and his shop sex. a merger of fashion and music that ended up revolutionizing music. They got signed by almost or every major label at the time, but also dropped by every label, despite have #1 singles. watch the great rock n roll swindle. It was very genius...I'm sure you can wiki the full story somewhere.

the great rock and roll swindle isn't actually an accurate film. mclaren created the film as a sort of... self glorification piece. he didn't actually have as big a part as that movie would like you to believe. not to say that he wasn't a huge part of the band, but that film will give you a hugely inflated idea of his importance.

the great rock and roll swindle isn't actually an accurate film. mclaren created the film as a sort of... self glorification piece. he didn't actually have as big a part as that movie would like you to believe. not to say that he wasn't a huge part of the band, but that film will give you a hugely inflated idea of his importance.

i know it's not a documentary. but it's an accurate portrayal of what the band was about, not necessarily mclaren influenced or not.

I don't know about that... there is a distinct and I would presume deliberate switch to a more upbeat drum style on the new album that wasn't there on the second. I agree that it doesn't work, but the drums on the less heavy moments of the second album, which was the majority sounded far more passable.

Your task is to acquire the first Bossk EP and their very forthcoming second EP, if you in any way like Isis-esque post rock/metal... their new material has some crushing grooves to rival early Pelican to boot. They're finally getting the press and tour slots their work deserves.

Cool. I will check it out, haven't heard of them. Love checking out new music.

noone who knows anything will argue with that.

I never liked them, so that and the fact that they weren't particluarly talented, doesn't work for me. I just don't...like them.

this is the dumbest thing i've read in the past month, shouldn't you be huffing freon or buying more patches for your jacket or something?

Since I'm straight edge and posting on SuFu, I don't think either of those assumptions apply to me. Nice try, though. The Ramones should've stuck to writing shitty corporate jingles for steel reserve. They have nothing to do with punk rock.

Since I'm straight edge and posting on SuFu, I don't think either of those assumptions apply to me. Nice try, though. The Ramones should've stuck to writing shitty corporate jingles for steel reserve. They have nothing to do with punk rock.
lol i luv those...STEEL RESERVE

HI GRAVITY LAWWWGEEER YAAEEAAAA

seriously, are you guys 13?

embarrassing thread

What the fuck did you expect from a thread made up purely of personal opinion?

Someone was going to piss someone off.

This isn't deathvalleydriver.