Aitor Throup

seenmy

where does this critique come from, is it because throup is going to a label that you do not like?

really, the offer to control a brand's universe sounds incredibly tempting, very near working as your own label without the risk of answering for an utter commercial failure. any brand that wasn't whipping babies in the factory could probably sell me on that opportunity.

I can imagine Aitor taking G-Star in a very sportswear / football hooligan direction. Articulated parkas, training pants, etc—reminiscent of his Umbro stuff, just a little less technical and a bit more street.

I suppose that kind of connoted aggressiveness might resonate with the current market (Berlinsters) and even invite in new ones. Might even give it that 'cool baddie' clout the brand has always been chasing.

Would ultimately be pretty happy to see something of his at a lower realistic price point, TBH. i.e. If any of his denim stuff (and even construction) trickled down, I'd truthfully consider. 

Think that's precisely why they got him–I'm pretty sure it's the first time anyone here has even talked about G-Star much less consider it.

Edited by WillKhitie

How was the talk? Especially considering the news?

I guess Aitor has to make a buck somehow, but I'm really doubting that he will turn G-Star into something interesting. Too much mediocre momentum.

It was beautiful - small audience, intimate venue, and a designer obsessively passionate about his work.

Fairly insightful discussions between Tim and Aitor, a lot of it revolving around his work for New Object Research, Kasabian, Damon Albarn and Umbro, as well as his ethos and design rationale - I felt that the latter was easily the biggest takeaway from the session. It was something that Aitor had discussed before in written interviews, but never this in-depth and personal. And the sheer energy that he exudes when talking about his work that will never be able to be conveyed through print.

There was very little discussion on Aitor's G-Star appointment, but it connects to the idea of him being a product designer as opposed to a fashion designer - which makes branding secondary - as well as his distaste for diffusion. In some ways I think it reflects his work for Umbro, in the sense that the product was something he had interest in, and there was a bigger challenge to design with set parameters (compared to compromising a product through diffusion); a clear parallel against his own work (NOR), where the idea of limitation, to him, is basically an artificial construct.

Regarding the talk:

First of all, the chairs were a crock of shit, design museum my arse.

The talk itself concentrated mainly on ideas, probably because of the conceptual nature of aitors work. Things did get a little abstract in places especially when he was talking about how creatives have a logical and explosive side to their minds and this is represented, to him, as a ball of paint hovering inside a sealed box. This is the logical side. When this ball of paint explodes and makes a mark or a splat on the inside surface of the box, this is the explosive side and the mark made is the idea or the art.

He tried to give us an insight into his approach, which he did. He connected with audience really well I think but the title of the talk was 'what next for aitor throup?' which wasn't really answered.

Edited by TIMDOT

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyone have anything on the G Star collection? (fit pics, what have you)

I bought the Staq but with the wrong length so ended up returning it. Decent details though I hadn't bought a pair of jeans in so long I had forgotten some still sell those with button-up flys. If I get another I'll probably swap-in a zipper.

• 3 weeks later...

oh well,recent designs are not for me.

With the help of g star,prices are decent,but i dont have much hype for denim,never a denim head,sorry AT,

Also feel kind boring for his rite of ssfw,heard there will be stocks this month,but these items are not so attractive to me.

However,i still happy to wait for his previous designs,say calf pocket and goggle jacket,these are good for me.

• 3 weeks later...

He presented prototypes of the upcoming collection (Raw Research II) at the Palais de Tokyo yesterday, I haven't been able to find any pictures of details of anything other than these moto jeans:

"The raw denim trousers, named Motac-X, feature stretch fabric panels in areas that the body needs to move, such as the knee and hip joints.

We have great stretch denim, but it's something that's standardised," Throup told Dezeen. "How can we get a garment to move with the body, but made out of rigid denim?"

"Then you start engineering panels that move in certain ways, that are elasticated, that shifts and expands and twists as your skin does."

gstar-raw-scoop-05.jpg?w=683

aitor-throup-g-star-raw-collection-desig

aitor-throup-g-star-raw-collection-desigaitor-throup-g-star-raw-collection-desig

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.ssense.com/en-ca/interview/aitor-throup-adventures-in-denim?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=interview&utm_term=rawresearch_15_05_2017

While I'm skeptical of throup's ability to do something I like within the context of g-star's trashy clothes (I have some hope though), his design approach remains fascinating and well worth reading about. 

disagree. g-star has a history of experimental projects and collection and so does Aitor. I find them pretty good match, or at least better than the umbro.

Edited by danii