Aitor Throup

seenmy

^fabric is a stretchy synthetic mesh so it drapes super nice

not going to have any technical capabilities in terms of water resistance.  It does have all taped edges tho as u can see in the pic but it's for other purposes.  Plus it has storm cuffs which are pretty nice actually.  It's supposedly the outer shell and the denim jacket is to be worn inside as the "lining."  

^quoting a post from "urban techwear" thread.  perhaps all posts there should be moved here?

more detail pics of the veil jacket up on railso

http://www.railso.com/default-category/men/clothing/blazers-jackets-leather-jackets-coats/aitor-throup-veil-high-tech-diap

i can definitely see now how the (mesh) veil jacket needs to be layered over the (solid) stockwell jacket

otherwise, mesh seems to be a nice option for a light spring jacket

7eaN3Bn.jpg

EGw52lA.jpg

the mongolia jacket is also absolutely incredible, especially draped in the "riding" position

7XLBZTQ.jpg

Edited by Vampyrvargfesten

^quoting a post from "urban techwear" thread.  perhaps all posts there should be moved here?

more detail pics of the veil jacket up on railso

http://www.railso.com/default-category/men/clothing/blazers-jackets-leather-jackets-coats/aitor-throup-veil-high-tech-diap

i can definitely see now how the (mesh) veil jacket needs to be layered over the (solid) stockwell jacket

otherwise, mesh seems to be a nice option for a light spring jacket

7eaN3Bn.jpg

EGw52lA.jpg

the mongolia jacket is also absolutely incredible, especially draped in the "riding" position

7XLBZTQ.jpg

that last piece screams undercover arts and crafts

Edited by ilovefriedchicken

Exclusive: Aitor Throup enters the virtual world

Unveiling the designer's mysterious creative process through his new online archive

Today mark’s a new virtual venture for Aitor Throup. With almost a decade of archive material and research manifestos under his belt, he’s decided to showcase it all on his newly re-launched website – announced exclusively by Dazed.

Throup’s work has always been about process. Over the years, it’s been a point of intrigue when confronted with his imposing installations and black headless horsemen during his show presentations. Today, he reveals never-before-seen sketches and reference material to coincide with the launch of his site, and talks us through his creative process.

Dazed Digital: How did you approach the curation of your newly launched digital archive?

Aitor Throup: I really needed it to be almost encyclopaedic, so you could go deeper and deeper into each concept or each project. The oldest stuff on there is from 2003...

• 3 weeks later...

I had a closer look at the veil jacket at DSM and it's unbelievable good. The amount of consideration that went into it is ridiculous, there are so many mind blowing cutting/construction details. It also just feels amazing when you put it on. Some of it can't be explained in pictures such as the way the combination of stiff, soft, and stretch material in the sleeves facilitates arm movement. I was just wearing a white t that day and I thought it was fine despite the mesh.

When I was there (a day or two after DSM got their stock), they had the entire ethnic stereotyping collection (veil jacket, denim jacket, tee, pants, cap, backpack) as well as the white shirt, small skull bag, and hat. I asked the SA about other items, particularly the multi hood jacket, and he said they had other things but sold out on day one.

I'm personally saving/waiting for when the hooligan jacket is available. That's definitely my favourite item, and I want to own at least one thing from this groundbreaking collection.

Edited by ProfMonnitoff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of it can't be explained in pictures such as the way the combination of stiff, soft, and stretch material in the sleeves facilitates arm movement. I was just wearing a white t that day and I thought it was fine despite the mesh.

When I had the privilege of seeing this, this was what struck me the most. the top sleeve panel is actually a sprawling gusset.

tumblr_mx73t2y3C71qhbol5o4_500.jpg

as far as I noticed everything was built on this block, just with whole panels slashed away to make different closures, and it lets you achieve this sort of slim box fit without relying on stretch material or constricting the wearer's range of motion. you see the same thing in some old school jackets, like gambesons and mountain climbing gear from the days when people climbed mountains in suiting.

tumblr_mqdcq7xQXv1qhbol5o2_1280.jpg

pivot_sleeve.jpg

the same concept is used in that Outlier pivot sleeve shirt, and in Rick Owens womenswear jackets.

005-OUTLIER-PivotSleeve-KARATE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Aitor Throup doing the creative design/visual work for Damon Albarn's new solo album For Everyday Robots

Perhaps the most interesting credit, however, is the project's creative director: Aitor Throup. One of London menswear's most distinctive and conceptual new designers, he's been taken on to oversee the "visual system" for Everyday Robots. As the video for the record's title track drops (watch it below!), Dazed premieres a video interview with Aitor, in which he discusses the link between Damon, ancient rituals and facial reconstruction techniques, and an exclusive look at Aitor's sketch for the project. 

http://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/18531/1/exclusive-aitor-throup-on-working-with-damon-albarn

New music video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rjbiUj-FD-o

• 2 months later...

Today, BoF can exclusively reveal that artist and designer Aitor Throup has joined Dutch denim label G-Star Raw as a creative consultant focused on product design, store design, and marketing and communications.

http://www.businessoffashion.com/2014/04/bof-exclusive-aitor-throup-joins-g-star-raw-creative-consultant.html

Edited by hooper

You could ask him to talk about the unifying factor behind his work for some pretty radically different groups (Damon Albarn, Kasabian, G-Star, Stone Island, his own label, etc.) and how he decides how he'll capture the spirit of each in his own contributions.  He'll probably cite the "I like to create a universe etc." but it'd be interesting to hear if there's anything else.

Or make him talk about how he views his clothing as a product in the scope of the fashion world today (with IG, instant feedback online, highly publicized "fit" pictures).  Is he at all interested in how the audience interprets what he makes i.e. how they style it, how they wear it, etc.?  Or does he only consider how his garments fit into his own "concepts"?  The high price and low production count of his pieces definitely makes it hard for user interaction to take place.  (he has said he hopes to create more democratically priced garments in the future)

You could also ask if he has been approached by other creative groups and, if so, how he decides who he will work with.

...And if he's browsed sufu (saw a copy of superguide on one of the desks lol)

Here's a pic of Aitor w/ Sergio Pizzorno (ft. CCP :ph34r: )

Aitor%20Throup%20and%20Sergio%20Pizzorno