LEE 101Z Japan Double Selvage

they're fairly similar...

the Lee 101 rider, Levi 's 1947 501 and Wrangler 11mwz were THE cowboy cut jeans. They were all slim, although I think the 11mwz was a bit higher rise (and zipper of course) and slightly slimmer on the lower leg. The 101 and the 501 should be closer for sure...

I used to have a pair of these and gave them to a friend. They are not like a vintage repro. THe rear pocket placement is like that of Levis and they have red line selvage which I think is left hand. They aren't exacly my idea of a nice jean. I think you can still get real vintage on ebay for that price.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

They're good jeans, but these look like the middle version of the Euro reissue, probably made in Malta, which aren't Sanforized, so you have to allow for shrinkage. They're a left-hand twill, like the originals, with plain white selvage, no redline, again like the originals, with a reasonably narrow leg, like 47 Leiv's, but more shaped, less anti-fit, around the backside. Denim is slightly greener than the Leiv's Cone fabric (I think this fabric comes from Nisshinbo) and it looks great raw. Dy clean them for the first year, and you get a great high-contrast fade. They age beautifully. For £60 these are good value.

Thank you to everyone who posted. I think the jeans look great for the price myself and like nicer denim than the regular Lee Europe 101Z's (although I haven't seen either in person just the photos). I realize these aren't vintage repro style, but I like that they are double selvage and the quality seems first hand anyhow. I suspect that these are Sanforized, but then I might just be under the impression that all 101Z's are? Also are Lee like levi's in that they tack on an extra 1'' past the marked ticket size thereby making a 34'' inseam actually measure 35'' before washing to accomodate shrinkage? Also are these cut with a rise/crotch/knee proportional to the inseam? Please see my other post here (http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=3737) THANKS!

101z europe's are looser than 1947 501s. they're anti-fit/baggy-ass jeans with a true straight leg, unlike 47501s which taper in slightly from the knee.

Lees generally aren't shrink to fit. they shrink down to the tag size - that's what lee says, anyway - They don't shrink significantly from their original size at all.

levi 47501s shrink down from the tag size - I'm a 30/32, but I wear a 31/34 in 47501s.

for me, because of how the waist dips at the front on lee jeans, and because they tend not to fit around the backside, I tend to go a waist size down on them.

I am pretty certain these are not Sanforized - the first Euro reissues, made in eire were, and had repro-style tags, the second lot were made in Malta, and were not sanforized. They wouod have also had a small 'Dry' tag, as the idea was you simply dry cleaned them to keep them marked size. Of course they didn't tell you they weren't sanforized at the time, so consequently mine are effectively a size below my Levi's even though they've only ever been wahsed cold ... all the same, I wouldn't describe them as a baggy fit, and would say these reissues have perhaps a very slight taper, certainly the legs are way narrower than the cut of 1930s Leiv's which I normallly wear.

I still have around 12 pairs of these jeans. I sold most of the early sanforized ones off on market stalls, but these were the jeans that made me start off buying new, because they were really well-made for the price, hard-wearing, and are simply nicer jeans than little e selvage Levi's.