What camera should i bring??

BOORADLEY

so im going backpacking in australia and im deciding whether or not to bring my DSLR or my point and shoot. both great cameras. but one is really big, the other, tiny as hell. im kinda thinking not the SLR as it would be a pain in the ass to watch, carry and seeing as i wouldnt be able to edit anything until i got back, it wouldnt really make much sense. on the other hand, i dont want to miss out on having a great camera during such a big trip!

any ideas, experiences?

i know i know. but like, id be so paranoid of someone stealing it! ya know?

Well, you'd have to be pretty careful I guess. But if you're backpacking on the other side of the world, you're fucked if ANYTHING is stolen. My preference is to keep everything in one bag (if that wasn't already obvious...but believe it or not...people seem to like to separate all their shit), and if you have to leave that one bag behind while you're doing something, always keep the camera (and all the other important stuff) with you at all times.

Like I said, total pain in the ass, but unless your P&S takes REALLY good pictures, you might regret it. ;)

my friend also had that issue too. He brought his brand new d40x to a trip with me to japan, and he was whinning about how he has to carry thsi big thing around his back worrying that someone will bump into him and damage his camera.

instead, i bought my canon P&S camera with those mini tripod that wraps around anything... I had good clear pictures + i only had to carry a little waist bag intead of a backpack just for the DSLR

I'd prolly go the P+S route unless you are a really good photographer (be honest!).

When backpacking, the less gear the better in my experience ... esp if you are on the go and moving around each day.

That said - if you really know what you are doing with your SLR and will forever regret not taking it, well then lugg it along ...

Watch out for the Aussies but - bunch of thieves. It's in their blood ;)

no thats exactly it. im not a really good photographer, im just learning. i think i will go with the P+S. if i really regret it, ill get my parents to ship the DSLR out there i guess. i can see myself really worrying about it and pissing and moaning. whereas if someone stole my P+S id be pissed, but not 800 dollars pissed.

thanks for the great answers guys, seriously.

you do know shipping a camera from calgary to aussy land is

1.fucking expensive.

2.fucking risky *cause the people just chuck arond your package like a soccer ball* * i know this cause i used to work for DHL, and punk kids would chuck packages labeeld fragile into the belt like all the other packages*

if you are even asking this question, there is probably little point in bringing the dslr. but if you do decide to bring the dslr, bring the p+s also, it's not like it'll take up that much more space, and worst case, if you decide not to use the dslr, you can get a locker somewhere and stash it until you leave.

last time i brought my dslr on a trip i totally regretted not bringing something easier to carry around. There are plenty of great point and shoots out there that will take excellent quality shots. I didn't catch which one you had but surely anything that will let you have some control over your photo would be perfect. Leica makes a superb one as i'm sure you know.