espresso machines

eddyz

I recently started working as a barista, and im really enjoying it.. I want to have my own little espresso machine, but I have no idea where online to get one.. I'm from Canada, and there seems to be no stores that carry a decent slection of espresso machine other than starbucks *which cost a fortune*

What espresso machine would you guys recommend that is cheap yet can do the job well?

rancilio silvia all the way. and get a good grinder! can't go wrong this one of these!

you can buy an adapter to use ESE pods as well (if you're lazy).

or...if you're REALLY lazy, get a nespresso machine. they're a bit overpriced, but work well and the espresso is pretty consistent. their customer service is also good. i had one for a while as my g/f doesn't drink coffee, so it seemed pointless to buy beans, have them go stale, etc. the downside is you have no choice but to order the capsules from nespresso.

Before I post my answer, I have to mention that I have lived in Vienna for a significant portion of my life and our cafe culture is one of the strongest worldwide.

That being said I own a nespresso machine :o

The reason is that I'm lazy as fuck, and I can't taste the difference 15 minutes after waking up anyways. With this machine all I have to do is put a cup under it and press a single button. I've only fucked that up 2 or 3 times. I'm retarded in the morning. In the afternoon, I'm usually out with friends anyways, and there's no lack of good espresso in the 1st district. I don't drink coffee later than 6 or so.

not sure how much the krups is, but i would seriously consider a rancilio silvia & rancilio rocky grinder. you'd be looking at around $1000 canadian, but for that price it can't be beat.

btw...if illy is your fave, you need to do some more tasting! :)

edit: i just noticed the post above which says that the krups is $90 canadian...in that case, forget the rancilio (it's slightly more expensive!).

not sure how much the krups is, but i would seriously consider a rancilio silvia & rancilio rocky grinder. you'd be looking at around $1000 canadian, but for that price it can't be beat.

btw...if illy is your fave, you need to do some more tasting! :)

edit: i just noticed the post above which says that the krups is $90 canadian...in that case, forget the rancilio (it's slightly more expensive!).

Come on...you can't tell me that Nespresso is THAT much better than Illy?

Eddy - I was going to mention that...buy whatever machine has the least amount of plastic! You'll notice if you look at the expensive machines, the only piece that's plastic is the water container.

whats up with the "Attention California residents: Proposition 65 WARNING"? It says something about lead being in the Francis machines on the illy.com website? I was going to buy one of their machines and get the coffee subscription, but then I was like... wait a second. LEAD? didnt that mess the romans up?

http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/memberships/paymentMethod.cfm?K=M509

I think I have an iron with a stupid California warning about lead too, so I don't know if this is a problem... The francis machines look nice though.

Ah, ok...that was the only coffee I saw you mention before this.

What other coffees are available in the ESE pods?

loads of companies make ESE pods, as it's sort of an 'industry standard'. check out: http://www.podmerchant.com

of course, freshly roasted/ground beans will always be better, but there are quite a wide variety of brands/types of the ESE pods.

Mbrand - regarding nespresso - i don't think just ANY machine will make better espresso, and even THE BEST machine will make crap if the barista doesn't know what they're doing!

• 2 weeks later...

As a 'casual' (i.e. non conoisseur/snob) espresso drinker, I have to say that I am very pleased with the Nespresso machine I bought this week ($65 on Craigslist and brand new: great deal). Definitely recommended if you want something quick, clean, easy, and affordable.

i hate krups machines personaly. if your looking for a lowgrade AMAZING machine, its definitly a psyco... sounds like psycho when you say it... for like 300 you can get a really great machine.

but dont front on a nespresso, they have like 15 BAR. pretty nuts, seeing as more expensive machines only produce like 13 or so... ;)