Leepro Appreciation

gimmegimme

theyre not a specific year as far as I know, but a decade. They just took some details of how Lees looked in the 50s and made a pair of jeans with a mishmash of details. Its not a certain year.

Theres also a 60s model.

The details on the McCoy 101B are closest to 1959 101 Riders.

Lee-rvd.jpg

My '66 Lee's turned up just before xmas and were found under the tree (a gift from me to me).

soaked them last night and have spent my first day in them. So far am pretty pleased. The denim seems a little shiny but i'm sure that'll change with wear. The inner tag says made in Poland, plus there's no hem chainstitch. Are the ones I got a cheaper lee europe repro?

My '66 Lee's turned up just before xmas and were found under the tree (a gift from me to me).

soaked them last night and have spent my first day in them. So far am pretty pleased. The denim seems a little shiny but i'm sure that'll change with wear. The inner tag says made in Poland, plus there's no hem chainstitch. Are the ones I got a cheaper lee europe repro?

Mr B , I have had two pairs of these since Lee Europe introduced them and they have always been assembled in Poland . I remember having a gold label booklet which detailed the codes listed on the inner wash tag which identified the source of the denim as Japanese . The quality of these is a lot better in my opinion than the standard Lee Europe gold label range , which is cheaper (£80-£90 rrp) and uses lighter weight denim .

As I said in a previous post the detailing is not great , eg , no chainstitch . I think this is probably more by design as I doubt Lee Europe are as intune with denim/retro heads as Lee Japan would be . There probably is not the demand/market for the detailing, as in Japan , also . I had mine rehemmed (no chainstitch) and the leather waist tag and black inner waist label redone in a heavy yellow thread and they look great .

what i dont understand about the 1966 101z werent they limited to 1001 pairs?

and i thought they are nade by lee japan, although i never saw them on any japanese site.

mayb someones knows here more.

they were actually the beatles lee jeans from the movie help, i even opened my first thread on them and apparentley dont know much about them.

what a shame

Here are some pre and post soak/wash dimensions. Cold soak was 3 hours. Cold machine wash followed soak and air dry.

Tag size: W34 L34

Pre/Post

Waist: 34.5/32.5

Front Rise: 12/11.5

Thigh: 13.5/13

Hem: 9/8.5

Inseam: 36/34.5

After one wear, the waist and thigh have stretched out a bit. The cut is awesome. The legs are very comfy but not baggy. Great jeans!!

Is there any truth in LHT denim being more comfortable than RHT, all other factors such as cut, weight, composition etc being equal?

Yes, all things being equal, the theory is that LHT denim is softer. Most weaves are RH, because this makes a tighter weave (there's a more complicated, accurate terminology that I've forgotten). This is why it tends to be used more in womens' and kids' jeans.

• 5 weeks later...

Just received a new pair of 1952 101z today from Aero , although tagged W34 they came iat W36 ( measured by tape at 18 inches across the waist when laid flat) Aero have cofirmed the W32 measures 17 inches across , so a pair of w32 52s it is (first time I have said that in a long , long time !!! ).

Previous pairs I have owned were to size but current Aero stock seems OVERSIZE . So for anyone thinking of purchasing these , check out the actual size of the pair you want before pulling the trigger .

its not only aeros that are oversized, all lee from 2008 are way oversized, also the jackets. the jackets are made again in japan so that might explain it.

edwin furutaka has the accurate measurements, as far as i know.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would share some images of the current "ARCHIVES" 1952 101z . The previous model waist size was as tag , these are oversize by 2 inches so I can get away with a w32 !! Wore these this weekend for the first time , really pleased .See my post on the LEE Japan thread comparing them to the 1966 . There is also a pic of the 1966s a few pages back on this thread .

Before receiving tese I was thinking of hemming but even though nearly a 35 inch insean I am going ti keep them as is and cuff .

14thjune054.jpg

14thjune055.jpg

14thjune051.jpg

14thjune053.jpg

I know the reason why the McCoy Lees are so expensive. It's simply because they pay a licensing fee to Edwin(!) for the right to make the Lee replicas. I'd go for the Edwin Lees instead, cheaper and dead on accurate as far as I've been able to tell.

Not that the Mccoys aren't good, it's just that I don't see the reason to pay so much more for them.

I know the reason why the McCoy Lees are so expensive. It's simply because they pay a licensing fee to Edwin(!) for the right to make the Lee replicas. I'd go for the Edwin Lees instead, cheaper and dead on accurate as far as I've been able to tell.

Not that the Mccoys aren't good, it's just that I don't see the reason to pay so much more for them.[/quo

There is no mention on any of the tags on the pair pictured above of Edwin . However , I am assuming they are manufactured by Edwin as they were purchased from Aero , who supplied my previous 1952s (which were made by Edwin ) They certainly are not McCoys , not at £135 !

great lees mike, i love the 1952 101z. mine are from 2 years ago but are also bigger then tag size.

look really great congrats.

very interesting horriblyjollyjinx, thats a good point on prizing

thanks

sorry, wasn't directed at you! just general information.

I didnt take it that way and my reply wasnt intended to have a go at you .

I really just wanted to point out the difference in what seems to be a newer model 1952 , certainly from what I previously had . The 1952 was sold out at Aero around Xmas and these arrived earlier this month coinciding with launch of the Archive range . Im just happy I finally got a pair of 1950s repro 101z with accurate detailing and cut for my size .

Thanks Fardin .

can somebody please provide a fit pic with the 1966 lee model. i am just wondering how slim these actually look.

many thanks

Check out page 32 of this thread , there is aslo sizing info on this thread and the Lee japan thread also .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got these 1930 Lee 101's from Aeroleather a couple of weeks ago. They've been hemmed and had a normal cycle wash. I bought them to go with my 1934 Lee 101 jacket.

[001.jpg

005-1.jpg

They are the same as the one's in Paul's book on P45. Nice period label.

002.jpg

and early leather label with "copper riveted cowboy overalls" on it.

004-1.jpg

And buckle

006-1.jpg

And early "union-alls" button..

003-2.jpg

i love those, i think they are going to be my next purchase.

how are the waist measurements?

i never understood why the 28 lee dont have suspender buttons but the 1930s do?`??

should it not be the other way around?

i love those, i think they are going to be my next purchase.

how are the waist measurements?

i never understood why the 28 lee dont have suspender buttons but the 1930s do?`??

should it not be the other way around?

Thanks Fardin, yeah me too. Some early Lee repros are tagged 1928, and some 1934, but they both have no selvedge or suspender buttons. So glad I waited for these, they aren't identical to my 1934 jacket in colour though. These are big in the waist, they are tagged 32/34, but actually measured 35/37 !!

My first pair I bought from Ratuken, Japan, were tagged 34/34, but measure 37/37 !! They will have to be sold at some point..